Is "Vinny's Law" deserving of its own concept page?

#1 Posted by TurboMan (8194 posts) -

I was just looking through the user created Trials Evolution maps, and I found the Super Mario level, further proving Vinny's Law of "if you give people tools to make levels or other content, you can always expect Level 1-1 or Mario."

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Also in 15:22 of this one

So.. is this a viable page to create? Also, I'm just asking if someone else could create this page for me, since I have been permanently wiki banned on this site. :)

#2 Posted by Baillie (4584 posts) -

No, it's not.

#3 Posted by Robot_Moses (113 posts) -

I'm going to say no. It's an inside joke on GiantBomb, not an industry term.

#4 Posted by Maystack (928 posts) -

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

#5 Edited by BeachThunder (13141 posts) -

No. How would that even work as a concept page anyway? Would it then not just be synonymous with this?

@TurboMan said:

I have been permanently wiki banned on this site.

So, um...any particular reason that you've been banned from the wiki?

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Not really. In fact, I'm sure there's a rule or something against this.

#7 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

No, the wiki is not a place for in-jokes like this.

#8 Posted by Toxeia (744 posts) -

Guessing there was a reason you were wiki banned?

#9 Posted by TurboMan (8194 posts) -

@BeachThunder: I was quest obsessed when quests were invented, so I got the 1,000 wiki points on a page quest by copying and pasting a giant thing on one page, then deleting it. Mods were not pleased.

@Robot_Moses: It doesn't have to be an "industry term", just something that appears in multiple video games.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

No. Someone actually created a page like that months ago and it was taken down shortly after.

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

No. Someone actually created a page like that months ago and it was taken down shortly after.

You find a lot of dumb shit by policing the new additions page, don't you?

#12 Posted by nohthink (1370 posts) -

It's not because it is a not concept that is accepted by public.

#13 Posted by N7 (3826 posts) -

It's not Vinny's Law. It's been around since before Mario.

I remember reading a passage in the bible where Moses was beta testing the ark building tools by making an exact replica of the 1-1 stage.

And that's why we don't have Goombas... anymore.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (13141 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

No, the wiki is not a place for in-jokes like this.

This, a million times. For some reason, people seem to think the wiki is just a platform to show off their (mostly regurgitated) jokes.

#15 Edited by Robot_Moses (113 posts) -

@TurboMan: Perhaps industry term wasn't the way to phrase it, but the thing is that this isn't something that appears in games, it's just a player driven phenomenon. If the GB wiki encompassed that sort of player-created content, then there would be concept pages for "Naming your character after varying obscenities" or "Abusing player icons to make penises." Nobody wants that.

#16 Edited by MattyFTM (14605 posts) -

I think it could be something cool and quirky. It definitely shouldn't be named "Vinny's Law", but a concept page for "User created Mario 1-1 levels" or something like that could be really cool. The wiki isn't designed to be some super serious, rigid documentation of video games. Wehavelotsandlotsofweirdandquirkypages, and to me this seems to fit right in with them.

That being said, I'm not as involved in wiki moderation as I used to be, and me saying this doesn't mean someone should run out and create the page instantly. I'm just posting my opinion. It needs more thought and discussion, along with input from more wiki-focused mods before a definitive answer on whether or not it should exist is reached.

#17 Posted by Lokno (422 posts) -

It's a concept in our hearts, isn't that enough?

Off to make it in portal 2....

#18 Edited by Trace (3681 posts) -

...and to provide a counterpoint for Matty above, if discussion of Vinny's Law belongs anywhere on the wiki (and I'm not certain it does), wouldn't it be better off as a subsection of the In-Game Map Editor page BeachThunder linked, perhaps as a discussion point of one of the weaknesses of user-generated content?

I think there's room for cool and quirky, but redundancy and needless concepts bother me somewhat. I also don't work on the wiki as much as other mods, though, so I shouldn't be considered a voice of authority in regards to the wiki here.

#19 Edited by itsVASH (193 posts) -

no... maybe... NEVER

#20 Posted by roc_553 (220 posts) -
#21 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

@MattyFTM: I think this is something that is better written within the In-Game Map Editor concept under an H2 header, I don't think it deserves its own page even if it was renamed.

EDIT: stole my thunder

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@Unknown_Pleasures

@Hailinel said:

You could say that.
#23 Posted by Galiant (2216 posts) -

Definitely not.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

lots

Aw. I love it when people use my page as an example of weird-ass things in the wiki.

#25 Posted by RVonE (4768 posts) -

Vincent Law would be a cool video game character name. Maybe in a noir adventure game or otherwise in an upcoming installment of Tekken.

#26 Posted by Slag (5535 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Unknown_Pleasures

@Hailinel said:

You could say that.

There's a new additions page?

hunh I must have missed that somewhere.

#27 Posted by Kidavenger (3879 posts) -
#28 Posted by Winternet (8238 posts) -

Not any more than "Wolpaw's Law". Which means, it totally should.

#29 Posted by TurboMan (8194 posts) -

@Robot_Moses said:

@TurboMan: Perhaps industry term wasn't the way to phrase it, but the thing is that this isn't something that appears in games, it's just a player driven phenomenon. If the GB wiki encompassed that sort of player-created content, then there would be concept pages for "Naming your character after varying obscenities" or "Abusing player icons to make penises." Nobody wants that.

ah, this is a much better explanation that I could be ok with. If it's a player-driven concept over a concept originally intended to be in the game.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Not any more than "Wolpaw's Law". Which means, it totally should.

For reference, Wolpaw's Law does not have a page, nor should it.

#31 Posted by TurboMan (8194 posts) -

@Anwar: Never said I was banned unfairly

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (10006 posts) -

I'm in favor of this.

#33 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Slag said:

@Hailinel said:

@Unknown_Pleasures

@Hailinel said:

You could say that.

Go to the main page of any category, like Games, Concepts, Characters, or People. There's a Newest Additions tab.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (23238 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@TurboMan said:

Vinny's Law

It's no Coonce Test

Hahahaha. What the Helter skelter.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Kidavenger said:

@TurboMan said:

Vinny's Law

It's no Coonce Test

Hahahaha. What the Helter skelter.

That's been there forever. It's a page that Coonce used to test code changes.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (6363 posts) -

On a site like tv tropes I can have fun browsing and reading the ridiculous entries for hours, but is it for Giant Bomb? Probably not.

#37 Posted by Benny (2001 posts) -

I've gotta say, pages like this shouldn't exist unless the name evokes exactly what the page is about.

Noscon for example is a terrible fucking concept page. You need to know what a retcon is and then be able to unravel that mystery to get where 'Noscon' came from. And even then it's pretty terrible. I thought 'Fauxback' was the agreed term in the end and forgot about it completely anyway.

#38 Posted by Slag (5535 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Slag said:

@Hailinel said:

@Unknown_Pleasures

@Hailinel said:

You could say that.

Go to the main page of any category, like Games, Concepts, Characters, or People. There's a Newest Additions tab.

much obliged. I see it now. Somehow I did miss that. Thanks again!

#39 Posted by Max_Cherry (1210 posts) -

Absolutely, Yes.

#40 Posted by Ghostiet (5588 posts) -

No. The structure of the Giant Bomb wiki doesn't make this kind of positions fit. It can work on TV Tropes as a non-example trope, though.

#41 Posted by louiedog (2381 posts) -

I think I just read that NBC wouldn't be renewing Vinny's Law for a third season.

#42 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -

No

#43 Posted by MeierTheRed (5018 posts) -

No

#44 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -
@louiedog

I think I just read that NBC wouldn't be renewing Vinny's Law for a third season.

Oh, thank god!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.