Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vinny Caravella

Person » credited in 2 games

Vincent Caravella is one of the original members of Giant Bomb. He served as the sites lead video producer and host of the Giant Beastcast until his departure in 2021.

Vinny Caravella's Top 10 Games of 2014

• 78 results
    vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By vinny

This was probably the year I had the least free time to dedicate to games in my life. It’s a big change for me. I’ve gone from marathoning games in a weekend to pecking at a game whenever I smell a free minute instead of a dirty diaper. Luckily, as my life changes games have changed with it. There are now plenty of smaller games out there and games that lend themselves to shorter play sessions. That doesn’t mean I still don’t enjoy my epic adventures, but it’s part of the reason you won’t see Divinity: Original Sin, Far Cry 4, and Dragon Age: Inquisition on this list. They are all games that I will probably love, but at the time of this writing I haven’t sunk quite enough hours into to render a solid opinion.

With all that said, I was still able to enjoy plenty of games this year. Truth be told, I’d probably have a number one and number two and then a tie for three through ten, but I’ll try and order them as best I can. Here come the games:

10. Hack ‘n’ Slash

No Caption Provided

This one comes in at number ten probably because I love the concept more than the actual game. While I still think the game is solid, the idea that you are tinkering with the game’s actual code still blows my mind. Even as I write this. BOOM. There goes another brain cell. Mucking around and changing variables to solve puzzles, or more often than not break the entire game, just speaks to me and makes me giddy. I really hope we see another shot at this because I still...BOOM. Ok, I’ll stop before my brain is completely gone.

9. The Banner Saga

No Caption Provided

Somber. That’s my word association winner with Banner Saga. The bleak narrative mixed with the familiar-yet-refreshing art style and animation just worked for me. I found some of the battles to be a bit rote, but I was more interested in moving the story along than the combat. Not to say the combat was terrible. It’s not! I just like a good tale told well and that’s what kept me marching my weary caravans on and on and on…

8. Luftrausers

No Caption Provided

This should be one of those games I mentioned pecking at in my opening paragraph. It wasn’t. I pretty much marathoned my way to unlocking every ship piece because I just couldn’t stop playing. I’m not here to tell you why I physically couldn’t stop. I’m no doctor. It was just fun. OK, you may call be Dr. Fun if you really want. The music is great. The art is great. The physics are great. The great is great. It’s all just...pretty great.

7. Nidhogg

No Caption Provided

There’s something extremely satisfying about charging into someone who has been waiting seconds, possibly tens of seconds, for you to engage him in one-on-one combat. You race towards your opponent. He stands ready. Waiting. He lowers his sword (épée?), but thinks better of it and raises it. You are a mere breath away. It has all come down to this encounter. This meeting defines his existence. You roll underneath him and keep running. Nidhogg wins again.

6. Broken Age: Act I

No Caption Provided

I backed Broken Age on Kickstarter, so take that as you will. I am the person who wanted companies to keep making traditional adventure games. I grew up with them. I still enjoy them. So when Double Fine said “You folk who keep saying you want adventure games, put up or shut up!” I put up. Now I could have kept running to Germany every time I needed my adventure game fix, but Day of the Tentacle ranks pretty high on my all-time favorite games list, so I was extremely excited to see what Tim might make. I wasn’t disappointed. I can’t wait to finish the game… someday.

5. Jazzpunk

No Caption Provided

Many years ago I produced a podcast with Greg Kasavin at GameSpot called Designer Threads and we hosted Ron Gilbert. He talked about the difficulty doing comedy in games. The timing is all off. The player has too much control. Finally, he just said “the real problem is that game developers just aren't that funny. And I really think it's that simple.” Jazzpunk is a funny game. It made me laugh. It made me want to show it to people and make them laugh. It’s clever, absurd, and relentless. It isn’t perfect, but it isn’t trying to be.

4. Dark Souls II

No Caption Provided

Speaking of hilarious games… Dark Souls II. Around the office a lot of us were pretty excited about the next Souls game. I don’t think Dark Souls II hit the formula quite right this time out, but it still managed to provide me with a heck of a lot of entertainment. Maybe it was the way the world was laid out. Maybe it’s that there were too many trivial boss encounters. Maybe it’s just that Dark Souls II is my third game in the series. I’m not sure, but once I finished I was ready to put it down for a bit. I still love the world though, and those games do something that hasn’t been replicated yet. So now that I’ve had some time away, I’m ready to get back into that DLC.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth

No Caption Provided

I haven’t watched South Park regularly in years. I was in college when The Spirit of Christmas got passed around, and that was like… man… that was a long time ago. I always thought South Park was pretty funny. Sure, it can be incredibly offensive, but it always seemed to offend equally and with a wit or insight that took the edge off. It wasn’t ignorant. All that said, I thought The Stick of Truth was one of the best times I’ve spent with South Park in a long time and made we want to get back to, what I hear is a pretty great season of the show. I found the combat and gameplay to be more of a vehicle for the humor and story and not really engaging on its own. But that’s OK. I’m a collectibles and story guy. What do I care about actual gameplay?

2. The Fall

No Caption Provided

For something that popped onto my radar without warning, The Fall is probably the game that stuck with me the most this year. It could be because whenever I mention it, nobody knows what the heck I’m talking about it and I feel like I need to evangelize for it. I like Science Fiction. I like adventure games. I like a good story. The Fall also looks fantastic. While we’re really only talking about the first episode of the game, it’s a great start. And it’s short too. You should try it.

1. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

No Caption Provided

Well, this is it. This is video games. This is your power fantasy realized. The story is kind of a mockery of Tolkien, though the bit of insight into the making of the rings is interesting. But this is what happens when one man has “all that power.” Cherry picking from some of my favorite franchises (Batman, Assassin’s Creed) and then streamlining everything and adding in the Nemesis system was like a designer drug made just for me. Well, maybe it’s just well-designed since plenty of other people seem to really love this game as well. The upgrades were meaningful, the collectibles felt meaningful, and heck, even death seemed meaningful. Like I said when I opened this list, I don’t have as much time to play games as I used to but that didn’t stop me from doing nearly 100 percent of Shadow of Mordor. Congratulations. You took the most time away from my family. You monster.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Awoo!

greebman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Where is Blackbay Asylum

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

I love this list. Not so sure about that number one game but great otherwise. I am that person that still wants traditional adventure games too, Vinny. Me and you til the end.

bledsoe9mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there was not enough vinny on this website in 2014

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

stevenprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see The Banner Saga - love that game! Great list Vinny!

edgeCrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By edgeCrusher

Broken Age is a hell of a game.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By matatat

The Fall is one of the best games I've played all year. The puzzles are kinda annoying, there's perhaps a bit too much searching. But the art, the sound, and the story are so fantastic. It's probably one of the only story games this year that has really made me want to see it to the end.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list Vinny! :D!

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Eaxis

Yeah I must agree Mordor is great and he others on the list. I would like to see you play some Mordor and see what trollery you can come up with!

Edit Well nevermind as I hadn't watched the fifth day video.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bceagles128

Yep. Even with reduced time on his hands, Vinny is still the bomber whose tastes most closely mirror my own. Great list!

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the first staff mention of Dark Souls 2?

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Nice to see someone liked Dark Souls II enough to put it on their top 10 list. Granted, it isn't as good as the first and I was disappointed with it slightly but I still had a great deal of fun playing through it whether it was solo or co-op and I will be playing the remastered version next year seeing I have not got around to playing the DLC, which I heard is better.

Oh and I need to play The Fall badly.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Bzzzt* "Calling Dr. Fun, calling Dr. Fun" *Bzzzzt*

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice list Vinnagawa!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By glots

@eaxis: This also happened earlier.

Loading Video...

MrCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also vote for more Vinny in 2015!

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Finally some top 10 games love for Dark Souls 2

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@vinny: When you find out how to play games with a baby, please share the knowledge. I just want to play more than 10 mins straight of Dragon Age Inquisition, for god's sake.

Avatar image for puddingbrummsel
    Puddingbrummsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Fun prescribed some drugs, I better get that treatment son

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Finally! Some Dark Souls II love.

Vinny said:

I don’t think Dark Souls II hit the formula quite right this time out, but it still managed to provide me with a heck of a lot of entertainment.

Agreed. I'm glad it came out before I joined the fatherhood club, as I sunk 108 hours into that game in one month, getting my first set of perfect achievements on Steam.

Vinny said:

Maybe it was the way the world was laid out. Maybe it’s that there were too many trivial boss encounters. Maybe it’s just that Dark Souls II is my third game in the series. I’m not sure, but once I finished I was ready to put it down for a bit.

Also agreed. I still haven't picked it back up, even for the DLC, as Soul Memory made it an incentive to continuously level, and eventually you can get everything in one character around NG++. It's my one major gripe with the gameplay, aside from the level design being not as perfect as the previous iteration.

Still, it was my game of the year. I didn't have as much fun playing anything else, except maybe Shadow of Mordor and my replay of Persona 3 FES, and P3's not really a 2014 game.

Anyway, good list.

BioStormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FINALLY some Dark Souls 2 love!

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By futurstock

the layout of this list is GOTY

p.s. cant wait for y'all to get the east coast studio and your house-house set-up right and looking forward to seeing more alex and vinny(shenanigans) in 2015

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list, Vinny!

djkommunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By djkommunist

@greebman: greatest theft of this entire year. shame on you, gb staff. how could you not recognise such mastery

Scb360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog: To be fair only Rorie and Ian played DS 1, I was suprised Brad didnt mention it though

aretak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny best list and best human being confirmed.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eaxis

@glottery said:

@eaxis: This also happened earlier.

Oh, guess I missed that one. Thanks!

heyupikablu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Fun, man, I need that prescription refilled man. Winter is here, I gotta stay warm with that stuff you got. come on Doc! HELP ME!

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eladren

Vinny's list is the list of my heart

xxDrAiNxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V-BOMB LOVIN' IT !

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Something about this list feels... grimy. Good grimy though, like cyberpunk or something. Well, maybe grimy isn't the word. Grungy or gritty don't fit either though. Let's say it's something in between all three of those, but in a good light. Fuck it, let's just call it cool.

Cool list Vinny!

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried dealing with having no time to play video games by playing them between 10 pm and 4 am.

It didn't work out so great.

muffinsaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By muffinsaka

I hope Jazzpunk inspires more comedy in video games because that game had me in tears from laughing at some points.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Very cool list, Vinny.

I played The Fall just because I saw you (and at some point earlier) Patrick play it and now I can't wait for another episode.

Lepton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that is a GOTY list. Thanks, Vinny!

Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By Lingxor
    No Caption Provided

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Forever Vinny. And considering how much I loved The Swapper I really need to play The Fall.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a fantastic list Vinny.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

I wish Vinny was my neighbor.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny: When you find out how to play games with a baby, please share the knowledge. I just want to play more than 10 mins straight of Dragon Age Inquisition, for god's sake.

I don't have a baby, but I think Dragon Age would be a horrible game to play when having a kid. There are times where I spend 30 minutes just managing my inventory/gear for my party in that damn game. I would fucking hate to get some time, spend that time managing gear, then have to go help with the baby and have no more time for the game.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Great list Vinny. I quite enjoyed Dark Souls 2 myself this year though I can completely see why the hard core fans have issues with it. I still have yet to play Shadow of Mordor but I can tell it's totally within my wheel house. That and The Fall are two things I wish I could've played before this year was done. Thank you for everything. Here's hoping 2015 has better things in store for GB East.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who is also a dad, great list. My son turned one in October, and it's been a hell of a year going to school, working, being a dad, planning a wedding, and trying to play and write about video games. Damn.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's trite, and a joke within the Souls community, but trite is often right. Trite is right: Dark Souls II was the B-team. That's the simple truth. That said, I loved it. Probably around my 3rd or 4th game of the year, as well.

I need to replay Jazzpunk. That game is so great. Probably a game I'll replay every year, like a good movie.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

This list is awesome. Vinny is awesome! Long live Vinny!!

EatAllGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much use of the word "heck" in these write ups. Makes me wonder who did the editing. So not a word I expect from these guys.

halfdane1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V Caravella! It's great to hear you on the podcasts again!

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Vinny is the best. He literally inspires me to be a better person.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Woah, what happened to that Broken Age image? Pixelated and stretched to hell and back!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm surprised Vinny played even this much, to be honest with you.

Next year's bound to be better! I mean, that swanky office! How could you not use it for video games?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.