Anyone playing?

• 57 results
#1 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

So this is out on both 360 and PS3 (it's free for PS+ members) and I'm curious if anyone here grabbed it. It's only $15 (not inducing any character customization packs you may want) and while a more anemic offering than VF5:O, it more than makes up for it by offering the same great training mode and having outstanding online.

Anyone playing or considering getting it?

#2 Posted by Catarrhal (835 posts) -

Yeah, I'd been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Playing the "Complete Edition" on PS3 (would have preferred a retail disc, though).

#3 Posted by jewunit (1062 posts) -

I had the intention of getting it, but I already have too many fighting games and not enough time to play them.

#4 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Yeah, I've been playing the PS3 version. Having LOADS of fun. I used to play lots of VF, VF2 and Fighters Megamix and it feels like a great blast from the past. I just love how those games feel. This is a bargain (especially if you're a PS+ member, obviously).

#5 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

I got it free with PS+ and played it a bit last night. Not a huge fighting game guy so really didn't enjoy it much but will give it another go. Just doesn't seem anything special about it to make it interesting to me, just basic fighting.

#6 Posted by Petiew (1351 posts) -

Downloaded it for free with my PS+, I have no idea how to play it at all!

#7 Posted by Grillbar (1849 posts) -

im not playing it but i got it also of PS+

there are just to many games that i need to go though right now. might check it out at some point

#8 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

Yeah, I'd been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Playing the "Complete Edition" on PS3 (would have preferred a retail disc, though).

@bibamatt said:

Yeah, I've been playing the PS3 version. Having LOADS of fun. I used to play lots of VF, VF2 and Fighters Megamix and it feels like a great blast from the past. I just love how those games feel. This is a bargain (especially if you're a PS+ member, obviously).

Toss and invite my way. My PSN/XBL is RomeoBravoDelta. I'm just looking for people to get experiences against, good or bad, because I'm not particularly good myself and unsprisingly the online community right now, despite the great netcode, isn't that large.

@Mijati said:

Just doesn't seem anything special about it to make it interesting to me, just basic fighting.

See, that's exactly why I find it appealing. It's a game based entirely around execution and fundamentals. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to play a fighting game that doesn't game two or three meters that I have to manage.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@Mijati said:

I got it free with PS+ and played it a bit last night. Not a huge fighting game guy so really didn't enjoy it much but will give it another go. Just doesn't seem anything special about it to make it interesting to me, just basic fighting.

Virtua Fighter has always been light on frills, but it has some of the most complex, technical fighting in the genre.

#10 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

@SoldierG654342: Will do, good sir.

#11 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1005 posts) -

I'm planning on getting it today. 

#12 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

was gonna get it for the 360 but PS+ baaaaaby! Great game. Easy to play HARD to master.

#13 Posted by DarkShaper (1338 posts) -

I got it on PSN and I like it so far but MAN are the people playing online bad at the game. This is the first VF game I have ever played and I am destroying people in ranked games.

#14 Posted by RHYMESCHEME23 (64 posts) -

Got it for the 360. :)

#15 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

yes

#16 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

I'm getting it eventually.

#17 Posted by cikame (1007 posts) -

I tried it out, not for me i'm afraid, not as polished as Tekken.

#18 Posted by DocHaus (1335 posts) -

I got the 360 version. Anyone start a community/fight night thread yet?

#19 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Got it free through PS Plus and really don't see any value to it. The DLC is overpriced, and the offerings for the main game are anemic. The worst part is the speech: All of the characters sound like they were using the same recording booth Sega Bass Fishing voicework got recorded in and they've been using the same audio files since 1999.

Seriously, the game sounds like shit. You can say "Yep, definitely a Sega game," but I'd be saying the same in a very dismissive way. I want to like Sega again, but this isn't what I want from them.

I'm curious how they'll be handled in DOA5. Probably the first time Sarah Bryant and Akira have seen any significant updates since VF3.

#20 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

@onan said:

Got it free through PS Plus and really don't see any value to it. The DLC is overpriced, and the offerings for the main game are anemic. The worst part is the speech: All of the characters sound like they were using the same recording booth Sega Bass Fishing voicework got recorded in and they've been using the same audio files since 1999.

Seriously, the game sounds like shit. You can say "Yep, definitely a Sega game," but I'd be saying the same in a very dismissive way. I want to like Sega again, but this isn't what I want from them.

I'm curious how they'll be handled in DOA5. Probably the first time Sarah Bryant and Akira have seen any significant updates since VF3.

I am guessing you don't really play fighting games competitively or at least paid attention to VF in recent years. Aside from that, the single character packs are intended for those who prefer specific characters and for how much items are there for each character, they are decently priced. The multi-character packs are a solution for those who want the complete package at a somewhat discounted price. Hell, PSN is still offering the complete version for $30 instead of $15. They don't however ruin the core experience of learning the specific mechanics that it's in Final Showdown. Some of voice files can go as far as VF2 if you paid attention to particular ones. Even if they did record new voices throughout the series, it shows that it ain't really that important.

Can't really blame much of the DLC due to downloadable game regulations but you wouldn't even download it anyways.

Yeah sure there ain't stuff for players who don't want to play against others and crap but it's obvious that Sega AM-2 wasn't aiming for it in Final Showdown.

#21 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

I was really hyped for this game, saw it on stream, and for some reason, I just went, "Yup... looks like Virtua Fighter..." Between MK, Stret Fighter 4, KOF, and Skullgirls which are games I dont play as much as I would like, I dont see the point into adding another game, that I'm not gonna take the time to learn and get good at.

#22 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

@RHYMESCHEME23 said:

Got it for the 360. :)

@DocHaus said:

I got the 360 version. Anyone start a community/fight night thread yet?

I don't know if the community here will ever get large enough to merit a fight night thread, but I also got it on 360 as well as PS3. Send me an invite, RomeoBravoDelta. I'm mainly playing on the PS3 at the moment but that's mostly because I have no one to play on the 360 right now.

#23 Posted by mosdef (177 posts) -

I don't know that I play it as I am more just getting my ass handed to me. Low throws from stomach crumbles have been removed so not happy about that. Otherwise the game is great. Brilliant job on Sega's part. Hope they continue to promote it.

#24 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

im playing it not that great but its fun.

#25 Posted by rndmtask (144 posts) -

I got it. Have always been a VF fan, and I'm glad to get back into it. Have also been watching streams and Haunts' The Daily Blowup. I have to refresh on my VF terminology, shit is weird.

Add me on PSN: RnDmTask77

#26 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Oh it's out already? They should have waited a week to release it as E3 is totally eating its advertising lunch.

#27 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut: I love playing fighting games, I buy pretty much every one of them that comes out, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not even close to tournament level. The gameplay may be polished, but the presentation just feels incredibly antiquated. The same thing happened with the SNK fighters with the sprites that had been recycled for the umpteenth time.

Glad someone likes it, I guess.

#28 Posted by Ett (203 posts) -

Anyone that wants too learn (more) read this http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/323873/1

#29 Posted by RHYMESCHEME23 (64 posts) -

Add me for any 360 users looking for a few friendly matches. I main Eileen and Lau

Gamertag: RHYME SCHEME

#30 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

Got, played it, loved it. Jean Kujo is defiantly a nice addition to the roster. To top it all off, I completed all achievements in this game. Either I'm really awesome or this achievement set was really easy... I'll just assume I'm really awesome.

#31 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

@onan said:

@ThePhantomnaut: I love playing fighting games, I buy pretty much every one of them that comes out, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not even close to tournament level. The gameplay may be polished, but the presentation just feels incredibly antiquated. The same thing happened with the SNK fighters with the sprites that had been recycled for the umpteenth time.

Glad someone likes it, I guess.

Shoutouts to CVS and Capcom Fighting Jam. Everyone is victim to recycling but at the least for AM-2, it's obvious they are doing it deliberately.

#32 Posted by DocHaus (1335 posts) -
#33 Posted by DepressedHippie (43 posts) -

Unless your a die hard Virtua Fighter fan, save your money. VF5 is a much better game than Final Showdown.

#34 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

Go play this game people. It's a good game.

#35 Edited by DepressedHippie (43 posts) -

DLC is super overpriced. The five dollars for your character is fine (actually its NOT), but what is the point in creating crazy looking characters unless you can fight against crazy looking characters? My understanding is that no one will see my pimped out, crazy batman El Blaze unless they own the El Blaze item pack. Likewise, if you want to see other players customized characters you have to own that characters pack. So, even if you have no interest in playing as Goh, you still need to buy his pack if you want to see what your friends version of him looks like.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because that seems like crazy talk. Its like Sega is killing free advertising for the DLC packs. You want people to see the crazy stuff, so they can make a ill choice impulse buy. I mean who wouldn't want to buy Batman El Blaze?

#36 Posted by DocHaus (1335 posts) -

Word on the street said that Microsoft gave them a hard ceiling for data they could send so they had to do the DLC in packs like that. It might just be a dick move. Personally I think the game is fun enough that you don't need the costumes to enjoy it when fighting other people.

#37 Edited by DepressedHippie (43 posts) -

@DocHaus: How did you get better at Virtua Fighter? I know I played the hell out of VF EVO's single player which is why me and my friends can go a few rounds and have fun. Now if this was my first VF game; i'm going to come in and see that there is nothing to do offline, so I'll jump online and become dog chow, fish food and cat nip all at the same time.

Players need a carrot, a reason to keep playing. All the unlockables in VF5 was that carrot. Even if you where mowed down online, you can still jump offline play against the computer, try some new combos, and get to unlock some pretty crazy and cool stuff, while simultaneously getting better at the game. Final showdown has no carrot. Hell, it doesn't even have broccoli. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJw6Z-MLyBA

#38 Posted by DocHaus (1335 posts) -

@DepressedHippie: The carrot/broccoli you speak of would probably be the licensing battles (single-player), but I do agree that at the very least you should be allowed to see the cool costumes online even if you can't wear them. Even the various Korean freemium mmos and Team Fortress 2 do this to entice people to spend real money on their game.

#39 Posted by Kidavenger (3570 posts) -

I just played a few matches, it feels slow for a fighting game but I was winning online matches which pretty much never happens so I guess that's good.

#40 Edited by DepressedHippie (43 posts) -

If License mode is the carrot i'm swearing off vegetables... oh wait. I've already done that...

#41 Posted by DocHaus (1335 posts) -

Good news, I managed to get into PJ's lobby for a few matches online. Bad news, I got pounded into the dirt by people who knew how to play better than I did. Guess I need to practice more.

#42 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1212 posts) -

Free for PS+, definitely getting it.

#43 Posted by King9999 (613 posts) -

Add me. I'm mmking9999 on PS3. I use Brad.

#44 Edited by Giff (44 posts) -

Bought the complete edition, and enjoy it. Have to say though I think Sega really dropped the ball though if they inteded to entice new players to get into VF. A severe lack of modes and no content to unlock makes this feel more like VF light then the defenitive version Sega was advertising.

#45 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

@RHYMESCHEME23 said:

Add me for any 360 users looking for a few friendly matches. I main Eileen and Lau

Gamertag: RHYME SCHEME

@King9999 said:

Add me. I'm mmking9999 on PS3. I use Brad.

Will do.

@Giff said:

Bought the complete edition, and enjoy it. Have to say though I think Sega really dropped the ball though if they inteded to entice new players to get into VF. A severe lack of modes and no content to unlock makes this feel more like VF light then the defenitive version Sega was advertising.

I don't think Sega that was Sega's intent with this release. This seems very much to be for the Virtua Fighter fans, with the primary draw being that it's a release of a version of the game that's been out in Japan for 4 years.

Also, the lack of content seems to be a byproduct of size limits. I bought the Vanessa pack and it was almost 2GBs by itself.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

So I downloaded the trial for this game and I enjoyed it but I had some issues. The controls and gameplay felt nearly the same as the original VF5 except maybe slightly faster. However, for some reason I couldn't perform the move where you hit a person after they are down (it's that move when, after a person falls, you jump up in the air and land on the opponent). Maybe it was a problem with the trial but I just couldn't get it right. I was hitting the right buttons (on Xbox it's up and Y) but I couldn't make it work. I also don't know why I would pay to play this game when it doesn't seem like much of a change from the original VF5. I know the online is supposed to be better but I don't fight people online because, well, I get my ass-kicked consistently. What I really enjoyed about VF5 was the Quest single-player mode and I didn't even see that mode represented in the menus. I'm thinking I'll pass on this.

#47 Posted by Overbite (203 posts) -

I love Virtua Fighter because it is distilled, pure fighting that relies on execution and skill instead of gimmicks and comeback mechanics. Even if I suck at it.

I play on PSN as MSX6800. I main Vanessa.

#48 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

So I downloaded the trial for this game and I enjoyed it but I had some issues. The controls and gameplay felt nearly the same as the original VF5 except maybe slightly faster. However, for some reason I couldn't perform the move where you hit a person after they are down (it's that move when, after a person falls, you jump up in the air and land on the opponent). Maybe it was a problem with the trial but I just couldn't get it right. I was hitting the right buttons (on Xbox it's up and Y) but I couldn't make it work. I also don't know why I would pay to play this game when it doesn't seem like much of a change from the original VF5. I know the online is supposed to be better but I don't fight people online because, well, I get my ass-kicked consistently. What I really enjoyed about VF5 was the Quest single-player mode and I didn't even see that mode represented in the menus. I'm thinking I'll pass on this.

Can't say that I've had any issues with down attacks in the full release. And yeah, the only singleplayer content in this are license challenges, which aren't much. If that's what you are looking for then you should pass. @Overbite said:

I love Virtua Fighter because it is distilled, pure fighting that relies on execution and skill instead of gimmicks and comeback mechanics. Even if I suck at it.

I play on PSN as MSX6800. I main Vanessa.

I'll send an invite next time I'm on, and I'm playing Vanessa as well.

#49 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

No time! Too busy moving!

Maybe after I've burned out on D3 an finished Asura's Wrath and Lollipop Chainsaw I'll give the game a spin but I haven't been serious about a VF game since VF4Evo.

#50 Posted by Giff (44 posts) -

Man afters last nigt I'm going to rename this game Virtua Low Puncher. Anybody have any tips on how you combat that? In VF 5 Online you had a side step defensive move that worked well against that but this version has taken all of those moves out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.