Early Virtual Boy footage! Star Fox, Robot Boxing, Mario...

#1 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I wish I had one of these... Sorry if there is already a topic on this. Its just interesting seeing some old ideas in there. Also, it looks like Hudson had a Virtual Boy Star Soldier game in the works... shame... I'm sure to have loved the Virtual Boy back in the day if it was more of a success.
#2 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Cool. I have a Virtual Boy with Wario and Tennis. It gives me headaches.

#3 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Cool. I have a Virtual Boy with Wario and Tennis. It gives me headaches. "
That sounds like great times. 

I really wish I could have played that Star Soldier game... I hope to gawd that Hudson remakes it on the 3DS...
#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -
#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I wanna buy a VB on ebay.

#6 Posted by agentboolen (1758 posts) -

Dumbest Idea EVER!!!!  
Dumb sales guy #1: Geee lets make a almost hand held system but let's have it only display shades of red and advice people to not play it for more then an hour.  

Dumb sales guy #2:  Oh and lets make it look like some weird looking futuristic space goggle but at the same time be so heavy that you need a stand to use it.

6 months later

Early 90's gamer: hmmm it would be almost playable if it was shades of blue, oh well i'll buy some Super Nintendo games.

#7 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Cool. I have a Virtual Boy with Wario and Tennis. It gives me headaches. "
I get headaches just from watching the video. lol
#8 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Apparently the Star Fox game was never released. The closest thing that resembled that game was Red Alarm. Would have been interesting if Nintendo decided to port these games to the Virtual Console.

#9 Posted by buzz_clik (6958 posts) -

Apparently I'm one of the few people who don't get a headache from playing Virtual Boy. Shame really, because my VB gave up the ghost... *sniffle* 

@agentboolen said:

" ...you need a stand to use it. "
The trick is to detach it from the stand, lie on your back and rest the goggles on your face while looking at the ceiling. No, I'm not joking.
#10 Posted by agentboolen (1758 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" Apparently I'm one of the few people who don't get a headache from playing Virtual Boy. Shame really, because my VB gave up the ghost... *sniffle* 

@agentboolen said:
" ...you need a stand to use it. "
The trick is to detach it from the stand, lie on your back and rest the goggles on your face while looking at the ceiling. No, I'm not joking. "
I would think that would give you some pressure marks rofl
#11 Posted by thedez (129 posts) -

I love my Virtual Boy.  Wario, Golf, Mario Tennis, Red Alert, and Galactic Pinball were all good games.  Nester's Funky Bowling was a waste of money, even for the $5 I paid for it.
Protip: All games have an Auto-Pause feature.  You should use it.

#12 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I just got a Virtual Boy with Mario's Tennis, Teleroboxer, and Vertical Force

They're all really, really good games. Teleroboxer is worth it just for the Game Over screen. Just amazing. 

I also use the Auto Pause feature, take breaks, and I try to sit with my best posture when using the VB. No problems here.

#13 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

They should totally put Virtual Boy games onto the 3DS's virtual console.

#14 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

Man that Mario game looks great, almost like a paper mario style in some ways and that zelda part has came around full circle with critics reporting a zelda like level in the new Mario 3DS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.