What Do You Think of the Virtual Boy

#1 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'm writing something about the Virtual Boy and I just wanted a quick survey of people's thoughts on the system. So this is me asking for opinions on it. Yoho.

#2 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It was the kinect of it's time.

#3 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

I owned one when I was younger. A couple of the games, especially Wario, weren't bad, but the combination of the weird red and black 3D visuals and the awkward lean-forward "goggles" you had to peer in, it was a headache inducing nightmare. It's actually one of my favorite Christmas morning opening presents memory though. We thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever before we actually played the thing.

#4 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

I got it for ten bucks a year after it came out, so I managed to like it for what it was. Didn't hurt that the only games I had for it were Red Alarm and Mario Tennis, both standouts in the VB library.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I should get around to that thing.

#6 Posted by Solidsnak (133 posts) -

Red Alarm was cool

#7 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1593 posts) -

I vividly remember going to Ontario Placein summer 1996 (which would make me 6 years old) and seeing the N64 for the first time in a pavilion. I recall watching someone running around the castle courtyard and being blown away -- this was pre-internet, and I didn't subscribe to any magazines, so I wasn't aware it even existed at all until that day.

They must have had the Virtual Boy there -- I grabbed a brochure that had both N64 and Virtual Boy stuff on it, and this was before it was discontinued -- but the N64 was clearly stealing its thunder.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I thought it was crap. Even back then.

#9 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Neat idea, poor execution

#10 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

It was awesome. Also, gave you really bad headaches.

Teleroboxer was amazing.

#11 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

Like Rock Band, it is a great thing to try for 5 minutes at a demo kiosk in a local big-box retail store.

#12 Posted by Paliv (130 posts) -

Seeing Red

#13 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

I only played it once, when I was very, very young. There was a stand for it at a Toys "R" Us, and I got to play a few minutes of Wario on it. I don't think I really recognized how awful it was at the time, but, looking back on it, it was pretty bad. It singed your eyes and made it literally painful to play. I don't know how this thing shipped to market. The idea? Great. The look of the thing? Stupid, but passable. The feel? Unforgivable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.