Virtual Console No Longer NOA's Focus

#1 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

A customer service representative for Nintendo, has revealed that WiiWare has become the primary focus for Nintendo of America. This is after disgruntled US Nintendo fans sent emails inquiring just why no classic games are being released at frequency they have come to expect prior.

We understand your concern about the lack of service on the VC as of late. Due to sales numbers being far greater recently on WiiWare than on Virtual Console, we have decided to steer in the direction of WiiWare.

Also, we in America have NO plans to update the Internet Channel or the Nintendo Channel. We hope you understand.

...Hardly a great source, some customer service rep, still, there is truth to this.

Thanks to Nintendo Life

#2 Posted by Thordain (959 posts) -

Well I guess I can't blame Nintendo. They have a ton of titles available already and there are actually some decent games on Wiiware now if I'm not mistaken. If they have most of their bases covered with the virtual console and want to focus more on expanding their wiiware stuff, then I'm alright with it.

#3 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

So, they've decided to focus on shitty shovelware WiiWare games, and abandon the classics that I might actually buy? *sigh*

#4 Posted by StarFoxA (5165 posts) -

EarthBound... ;-;

#5 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

They're making my childhood cry.

#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6404 posts) -

In their defense, I can't imagine some of the licensing nightmares releasing some of the older games must cause.  If the release infrequent quality games for Virtual Console, I'm good.

#7 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

Perhaps it became less profitable because they released crap games most people aren't interested in?

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

I read about that and I'm fucking pissed.  I would rather have awesome VC games then WiiWare games.

#9 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Me too, because the majority of what's been released on WiiWare so far has been weak. (-don't get me started on DSiWare -took a look this morning) There has been no quality control as promised, it seems they have let any crappy developer make games and still charge a high price for it.

@JJOR64 said:

" I read about that and I'm fucking pissed.  I would rather have awesome VC games then WiiWare games. "

I'm not even American but even I was angry, especially because of that last bit which is so bad it borders on the comical.  It's so sad also that fans have to get secondary information from a sole understanding customer service rep who breaks out of line. And not from official spokesperson or senior figures. Why does the Wii not have a offical newletter still?!

Another anger inducing story coming up later.

#10 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" Perhaps it became less profitable because they released crap games most people aren't interested in? "
So true.
#11 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Yes, I was going to say the same in the OP, but left you all to draw that obvious conclusion.

I think I may send a e-mail of my own soon.

#12 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I don't think customer service would even be filled in on this kind of information.

#13 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" I don't think customer service would even be filled in on this kind of information. "
Having been a game tester at NOA, I think you'd be suprised.

This breaks my heart into shreds. The VC lineup has been absolute crap ever since Majoras mask came out. No shit the sales have been bad when you aren't releasing games that are any good! There's still so many titles that need to make their way to the service. Here's a thought: Dont bother releasing games every week. Instead, make it every two-four weeks, but make them actually worthwhile games! Like Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Super Smash Bros, or the like. 
#14 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -

I can understand a bit where they are coming from with the release of some of these obscure games.  A lot games are probably games most people never played.  I am certain there are some games people never played.  However, most people are going to be more interested in the popular ones, something most people would be satisfied with.

#15 Posted by ThomasP (1661 posts) -

That sucks. There are so many more games I'm willing to buy. Don't stop now.

#16 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" EarthBound... ;-; "
Eeeeeeeexactly.
#17 Posted by Shermanator (187 posts) -

So many games I want to play will never be released, owell.  Guess its finally time to get rid of the wii

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.