Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Console

Concept »

The Virtual Console is a platform service that first appeared on Nintendo's Wii and later on the 3DS and Wii U. Games from past consoles are emulated to run on the new hardware with the added benefits of system-level save states and other features.

What games does the Virtual Console still need?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

As anyone who has following the Virtual Console service knows, Nintendo has slowed the release of old games to a trickle, usually only one a week. Original Wiiware games are great, but there are so many more games from Nintendo's old catalog that have yet to be released. Some are unlikely to ever arrive (Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark), and others would require a bit more work to make it in the United States  (Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3), but there is certainly more room on my flash drive, and more wii points on my card.  Where is the Final Fantasy series we were promised?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Earthbound obviously. Not sure which ones beyond that.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By eirikr

Needs more Genesis Konami games like Castlevania: Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, and Rocket Knight.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ArcBorealis

More import games.

I wanna try the original Custom Robo, maybe the N64 Bangai-O? 
    And while they're at it, try and emulate Sega Saturn games so Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Silhouette Mirage. 
    And Mischief Makers.

Yeah, I just want more of Treasure's games.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Famov

Speaking of games that need to make it to the United States/Europe, we've got the Fire Emblem series. The shame is that FE1 through 5 are on the Japanese VC, and there's no excuse why it should not be over here (unless, of course, Nintendo has other plans for those games on the DS or something). It's surprisingly easy to navigate the menus in Japanese if you've played other games in the series. 

And I'm sure Mother fans want their Earthbound. 

My friends want Super Mario Kart, though I've got it for SNES so I'm good at that front. As far as I'm concerned it's still the best Mario Kart there is.
    Smedles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smedles

The NES version of Contra would be nice. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " Earthbound obviously. Not sure which ones beyond that. "
    Was Earthbound the original Mother or Mother 2? Whichever the case, why not the other Mother as well? 
    @Alaska_Gamer said:
    "

More import games.

I wanna try the original Custom Robo, maybe the N64 Bangai-O? 
    And while they're at it, try and emulate Sega Saturn games so Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Silhouette Mirage. 
    And Mischief Makers.

Yeah, I just want more of Treasure's games.

"
    While we are going on about Sega Saturn games, how about Panzer Dragoon Saga? I thought of this topic while reading about that game. Another Bangai-o would be cool too, though I suck at Bullet-hell.  
    @Famov said:
    " Speaking of games that need to make it to the United States/Europe, we've got the Fire Emblem series. The shame is that FE1 through 5 are on the Japanese VC, and there's no excuse why it should not be over here (unless, of course, Nintendo has other plans for those games on the DS or something). It's surprisingly easy to navigate the menus in Japanese if you've played other games in the series.  And I'm sure Mother fans want their Earthbound.  My friends want Super Mario Kart, though I've got it for SNES so I'm good at that front. As far as I'm concerned it's still the best Mario Kart there is. "
    Oh man, Nintendo would have a ton of my money if they released those old Fire Emblems here. Is Super Mario Kart really not on the VC yet? That seems like a ridiculously huge oversight. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @AgentJ: hehe, other mother. *ahem* anyway, yeah Earthbound was Mother 2, Mother 1 is good as well but it's a bit harsh difficulty wise (whereas Earthbound is really easy).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
    deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Conker's bad fur day. An amazing N64 game, that was somewhat late in the cycle and that I think a lot of people missed out on.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    @toorima said:
    " Conker's bad fur day. An amazing N64 game, that was somewhat late in the cycle and that I think a lot of people missed out on. "
    Yeah, it would be great on VC, though it won't be happening now that Microsoft owns Rare. Besides, you can get the remake on XBOX any time you want.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

Golden Eye, i dont care if there are license issues, i want my classic james bond games.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think that Earthbound and Super Mario Kart are the really big ones. Also missing is the original Star Fox for SNES, which I would really like to play. Hell, while they're at it, why not release Star Fox 2? It's pretty much finished already, and I would be willing to pay more than $8 to see it in a legitimate form. 

And yes, I would also pay in blood to see the old FE games playable in a non emulator w/translation patch fashion. Either that, or they could release a compilation of 4, 5, and 6 on the DS.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_clik
    Ranger X. It's one of my most favouritest games ever, and even though I know it's not for everyone I still feel it needs more love.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @buzz_clik said:
    " Ranger X. It's one of my most favouritest games ever, and even though I know it's not for everyone I still feel it needs more love. "
    That looks like a pretty interesting game. I think i'll add it to my wishlist
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @Famov said:
    " Speaking of games that need to make it to the United States/Europe, we've got the Fire Emblem series. The shame is that FE1 through 5 are on the Japanese VC, and there's no excuse why it should not be over here (unless, of course, Nintendo has other plans for those games on the DS or something). It's surprisingly easy to navigate the menus in Japanese if you've played other games in the series.  And I'm sure Mother fans want their Earthbound.  My friends want Super Mario Kart, though I've got it for SNES so I'm good at that front. As far as I'm concerned it's still the best Mario Kart there is. "
    It's not as easy as you think.  The Fire Emblem games would require full localization, even in VC form.  Other Japanese games like Sin & Punishment or Chou Aniki were able to be released because you didn't need to know Japanese to get a full sense of enjoyment out of them.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Suicrat

Ugh, no, not the original Mother. Earthbound for sure, but not Mother 1.

Tetrisphere would be great

As would Uniracers.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64
    Kirby Super Star.  The remake on DS was great but, the SNES version was a lot more challenging and a lot more fun to play, especially in co-op.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Terranigma got a European release so it's already in English. Great game too.

Earthbound is Mother 2, Mother 1 was on NES and is not bad but didn't exactly age well. It's about on par with Dragon Warrior 2.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By buzz_clik
    @AgentJ said:
    " @buzz_clik said:
    " Ranger X. It's one of my most favouritest games ever, and even though I know it's not for everyone I still feel it needs more love. "
    That looks like a pretty interesting game. I think i'll add it to my wishlist "
    It's an awesome blast. It's so chock full of effects that you'd not normally see in a Megadrive / Genesis title, you'd swear that it was a Treasure game at some points.

One caveat, however - one of the reasons I love this game is because it uses the 6-button pad really well, and is maybe better played that way. It's certainly not unplayable with the 3 button one though (there is the option to toggle) and I'd still say it's a game worth checking out.
    Senile_Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Senile_Kyle

I would like to see the following:

Donkey Kong 64
    Goemon's Great Adventure
    All 3 N64 Turoks (prolly next to impossible)
    Mario Tennis 64
    Pilotwings 64
    Mario Party 1-3
    Pokemon Stadium
    Yoshi's Island
    Mega Man x
    Mega Man 7
    Chrono Trigger

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Claude said:
    " Tetrisphere would be great. "
    I still pop the Tetrisphere cart in every now and then. Still some of the best music on the N64, too.

FUN FACT: The shape of the worlds you're playing on is not really a sphere, but a torus cleverly disguised as a ball.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude
    @buzz_clik said:
    " @Claude said:
    " Tetrisphere would be great. "
    I still pop the Tetrisphere cart in every now and then. Still some of the best music on the N64, too.

FUN FACT: The shape of the worlds you're playing on is not really a sphere, but a torus cleverly disguised as a ball. "
    I did like the music. Well, I want a remake on WiiWare called Tetristorus. Sounds awesome, doesn't it.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Claude said:
    " Well, I want a remake on WiiWare called Tetristorus. Sounds awesome, doesn't it. "
    It does sound awesome, but not nearly as awesome as what I misread that as. I totally want a pet Tetrisaurus now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.