Found some alpha gameplay

#1 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1332 posts) -

This footage is fairly old, but its still interesting to see. I probably would have played this, would you?
#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I love(d) the Warcraft lore.
It would have been good fun for that alone.

#3 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

Would have played the shit out of that. Though I'm sure Blizzard scrapped it for a reason.

#4 Posted by JCTango (1354 posts) -

I think I remember reading about this on a PC Gamer mag long before WoW even hit the MMO world.  Interesting stuff.

#5 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Wow. I want this, like, right now. especially considering that it's been leaked somwhere. It has me wondering why Blizzard scraped.. The game seems pretty deep in its development cycle.
#6 Edited by spiralsin (156 posts) -

My original Starcraft CD jewel case (circa 1997) has an insert advertising this game. It reads as follows:

Coming in 1998: 
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Diablo II

I remember thinking "an adventure game set in the Warcraft Universe? How cool is that?" 

I also still recall my disappointment when Blizzard announced its cancellation. Even though it was nearly done, they felt the game just didn't meet their standard of quality. There was even an online petition to save the game but it naturally didn't help. Sadly, it ended up in the development graveyard. At least players still got to witness some of Thrall's backstory in WoW. I guess that's something.

#7 Posted by abomunist (107 posts) -

I had that disc. StarCraft came with a short video demo of the game. Even then I was thinking that Blizzard would be foolish to release it. For those interested in the mythology, it would have been interesting enough. But just looking at the animation quality and hearing the voice acting makes me think that my initial impression holds up. It takes courage to cancel something when it's well into the dev cycle, but they made the right call. This game looks amateurish. Compare this to Day of the Tentacle, which came out in 1993. Blizzard did the right thing. This looks like a bad 80's cartoon.

#8 Posted by Evilsbane (4337 posts) -

Wow this dude has a ton of these I am now going to watch them all, I knew they canceled it but I had no idea it was this far along I mean this is a few cutscenes short of a full game Blizzard sure does not mind caning something they think is sub par in any way, makes me want to see someone get ahold of starcraft ghost it is probably a full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.