Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warframe

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 25, 2013

From the studio that co-created the Unreal series comes a free-to-play third-person Loot Shooter pitting a group of superhuman warriors (in advanced exo-armor systems known as "Warframes") against a hostile universe.

Holy Moses! I'm scared of change!

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I just logged in for the first time in over a year, since update 12.2 or something. This game has changed so darn much, some of the systems (the cards that were installed on the frame?) seem to have completely vanished and other bits seem locked off.

Has anyone else dived back in after this amount of time?

Jeff mentioning it on the podcast got me interested again so think I'll give it another go!

VinnCo for life!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zeik

Even as someone who played off and on throughout the year, coming back after the UI and ship update definitely took some getting used to. If you add on everything else they did this year I can definitely imagine it being overwhelming.

Mods are still there (and still very important), unless you're specifically talking about Warframe ability mods, in which case yes, they were removed in favor of learning them automatically at level up.

tbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@refactored: Warframe abilities are no longer mod cards, you gain them as you level up the warframe in question.

I believe right now even if you are a returning player you have to play through the tutorial and during said tutorial you unlock functionality of your space van (the player ship) by the end, the foundry and everything else should good to go.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah Mods yes...so many changes. Think I'll give it a go though

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Panelhopper

Learning the frame mods actually sounds better. My download is nearly finished, I'm quite excited. As I said elsewhere, I haven't played since they introduced the ship in update 12. I liked that, so I can only imagine what the game must be like now.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tbk: Thanks. Yeah I just went through the intro mission again and left it when it dumped me to the ship.

I think my confusion is just coming from expecting to do things that are now moved or held off for the moment like the foundry.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've played since Update 10(or 11, whatever it was back when it came out on PS4). It was fine, just didn't stick with it. Should I jump back in?

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Refactored

@quarters: Gameplay seems to be pretty much the same so if that didn't grab you last time round I'm not sure, but I've only played 3 missions with the new updates so who am I to say...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

I don't think I've played since Update 10(or 11, whatever it was back when it came out on PS4). It was fine, just didn't stick with it. Should I jump back in?

The core gameplay hasn't changed that much, but there's a shitload of new stuff (and I don't just mean new weapons or frames). The game is free, there's nothing to lose just checking it out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was really on board to reinstall and get back in it after a long hiatus - then I saw Jeff do one of those lower level missions and recognized every single halfway from that level which instantly cooled me off.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man, I've been out a few months and I didn't even know they change the way abilities are gained. I just know they had the Archwing update incoming which was teased at the time but didn't go live yet.

Guess I need to check it out soon!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@humanity said:

I was really on board to reinstall and get back in it after a long hiatus - then I saw Jeff do one of those lower level missions and recognized every single halfway from that level which instantly cooled me off.

They've greatly expanded the world tilesets over time. Mercury is still the same basic titleset they've had since forever, but almost every planet has a unique tileset at this point. Although they're still procedurally generated of course.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BlackLagoon
    @humanity said:

They haven't removed any of the old tilesets completely, but they've continued to make them less duplicated, aiming for each planet to have its own look. Off hand, the most recent additions are the Grineer Shipyards on Ceres, the Infested Ship on Eris, and the Corpus Ice Planet on Europa.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hopped back in after only playing it the first month it was out on PS4. Definitely a lot of changes for the better I'd say. I like the story bits and always liked the character designs. It's fun to play but, still, the gameplay feels a little rough around the edges... mainly the movement. I'll probably give it a go for awhile.

I was kind of disappointed though that it let me pick a new Warframe for the first mission and when I got on my ship it changed it back to the original Warframe I had back when I first played... don't look as cool and I don't have my sweet bow. Wondering if I can delete my save data and redo it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I don't believe there's any way to delete data. If you want a new frame you'll have to make it or buy it, however any of the mk1 weapons you can find in the tutorial missions can be bought from the market for a handful of credits. (I think the bow is like 15k.) Or you could just make the actual Paris, which is a better version of the same thing.

What about the movement do you find "rough?" The game can be a little janky in some ways, but I feel like movement generally works pretty well. It's important to make liberal use of the slide though. It conserves stamina and makes your traversal speed considerably faster. A run into a slide into a jumping forward roll lets you cover significant ground very quickly and at minimal stamina cost.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downloaded it yesterday because of the podcast. This game visual style is so bizzare and off-puting to me :/ just can't get into it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

@donpixel said:

Downloaded it yesterday because of the podcast. This game visual style is so bizzare and off-puting to me :/ just can't get into it.

That's what I like most actually. I really like most of the character designs. Especially the main bad guy when you start the game... I don't know how much he plays into the game throughout.

I've done the first 5-6 missions and am officially hooked. It seemed like a broken record comparing it so much to Destiny by others but it really freaking is Destiny with so much more content I feel like. I wouldn't say it feels as good to play but I'm addicted anyhow. I'm just wondering how much I can get away with before feeling like I need to spend real money... which I don't mind I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. I'm always weary of FTP games. I really liked Blacklight Retribution as well but that game felt like you couldn't get anywhere without falling into FTP trappings.

As for the movement feeling "rough." I just mean it feels kind of loose at times. Sometimes I'll run up parts of geometry that you probably shouldn't. I'd prefer a bit weightier feel I guess. The melee attacks just don't feel good at all; I wish they would make that better. And did they remove the charge attack? Also, I can never turn off sprint when I turn it on... it just seems to go off eventually. Is there a way to toggle it off?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I've done like practically everything the game has to offer and I've never felt like I've had to spend real money. Part of that is because I can just trade stuff with other players. I've made like 400 platinum in the last week or so just selling stuff. (Granted, that's rare to make that much if you only casually trade like I do.)

I don't think there's any geometry that's meant to be off limits. You're a ninja and you're meant to have crazy traversal skills.

I think Melee 2.0 is significantly improved over the old system, but you have to find stance mods to really utilize it properly. Without it you're just stuck with your basic spammy combo. Although even without it you can still access melee channeling and blocking and combo bonuses. And yes., charge attacks are gone in favor of melee channeling.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@handlas: Captain Vor? Oh... you might run into him a couple of times. ;)

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried it back at release and the updates sure look nice. Not sure the gameplay is for me though, it just felt so fast! Seems everyone was just rushing ahead, killing everything and basically all I could do was run and try to keep up, hehe. Maybe I am getting old.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@handlas: I've done like practically everything the game has to offer and I've never felt like I've had to spend real money. Part of that is because I can just trade stuff with other players. I've made like 400 platinum in the last week or so just selling stuff. (Granted, that's rare to make that much if you only casually trade like I do.)

I don't think there's any geometry that's meant to be off limits. You're a ninja and you're meant to have crazy traversal skills.

I think Melee 2.0 is significantly improved over the old system, but you have to find stance mods to really utilize it properly. Without it you're just stuck with your basic spammy combo. Although even without it you can still access melee channeling and blocking and combo bonuses. And yes., charge attacks are gone in favor of melee channeling.

Didn't know there were stances. Also, I see there is that area on the ship that has tutorials so I'll look at those.

I didn't know what credits were really for either other than crafting stuff. But I saw that I could buy Warframe blueprints so I bought one. I assumed I'd have to craft it after but then I saw I need to find the parts to the Warframe first. Are the parts going to be random drops or will it drop that specific Warframe's part now that I have purchased the blueprint? Also, do full Warframe blueprints ever get dropped or are those only purchasable?

Too many questions, I know. I should probably just read up on somewhere but my main questions are generally just how do you get Warframes aside from purchasing them.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: The majority of frames are dropped from specific bosses. (Rhino parts drop from Jackal on Venus for example.) You are guaranteed a part when you extract, but the part is random, so it will likely take more than just 3 runs to get all the parts. Not all are quite that simple though, especially many of the newer frames.

If you have any questions about where to find specific Warframes (or just about any question at all really) then I highly suggest checking out the wiki.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@handlas: The majority of frames are dropped from specific bosses. (Rhino parts drop from Jackal on Venus for example.) You are guaranteed a part when you extract, but the part is random, so it will likely take more than just 3 runs to get all the parts. Not all are quite that simple though, especially many of the newer frames.

If you have any questions about where to find specific Warframes (or just about any question at all really) then I highly suggest checking out the wiki.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Thanks for the help. I bought the ASH blueprint but don't have the planet his parts drop on. I'll keep leaving up my MAG for now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.