New Giant Bomb clan!

• 177 results
#101 Edited by geirr (2527 posts) -

@rapid said:

@geirr: Oh god where did your head go?

I dunno ヽ(•́o•̀)ノ

StarCosmos/@pipedreams beat my obstacle course record, her time is 2:04. I wrote it in on the room thingie by the door since there's no scoreboard anywhere.

#102 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@binny: Who did you send an invite to? What's your ingame name?

@xagefu: Invited. (Contacts -> Clan (the shield icon), to accept it)

#103 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3198 posts) -

@mnemoidian: Sweet dude, when I get home I'll make sure to join up. Played a few minutes on Saturday and decided to re-familiarize myself with the game cause its been so long, games ui looks totally different! For that matter looks like they might of raised the difficulty level a bit, tried doing some of the starter areas again and they seemed a bit harder then I remember.

#104 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: I replayed a few of the early missions when getting a new weapon and the starting missions are fucked. I killed every enemy and by the end of the level, it was well over 100. That's pretty insane for a brand new player if that's the case unless it scales due to my Warframe level.

#105 Posted by TheRealMoot (361 posts) -

Hey there! Sign me up! I got a butt load of time this summer to go nuts and get back into Warframe.

My user name is TheRealMoot. I also sent a friend request in game, if that gets to you quicker. No hurry, need to grind out some gear since I reset my account.

#106 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: @mrcraggle: Really? Mercury is pretty easy, I find (of course, avoid anything with a skull on it, and defense missions). And if you are struggling, just look for team games - or set up clan ones.

Personally, I try to go into missions with one of my primary/sidearm being "serviceable" and the other/melee being weapons to level up, but I understand that not everyone has that luxury :)

@geirr: @pipedreams: Managed 1:39 on my second attempt (5+ on first, was trying to bruteforce the pillars, but couldn't get the timing down, despite speedy Loki (meep meep)), added that to the MOTD board. I can see people getting it down to under a minute easily - the pillars seemed like the big issue (for me), and can probably blast through the lasers a lot faster.

Fun, though :) (and totally does need an automatic scoreboard)

#107 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@mnemoidian: I'm not struggling, far from it. But my point was that if you're a brand new player, facing down over 100 enemies in your first mission seems like a daunting task.

#108 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@mrcraggle: I meant it more as general advice, not specifically aimed at you.

I do agree that 100 enemies on an early map is a bit of a tall order.

#109 Posted by Rapid (1358 posts) -

@mrcraggle: @mnemoidian: I almost feel like you should be able to select if you want to do the normal or nightmare. Normal enemies are still easy but the bosses are really difficult for new players or under leveled warframes. My Level 15 Vuaban and Level 20 Snipetron had no problem taking out the normal enemies in Nightmare Mode. I didn't even notice that I was playing Nightmare.

However, @jeffsekai and I attempted jackal boss on nightmare and it didn't go to well. I had no idea. That's when I realized we were playing Nightmare Mode because I saw that the boss was more than twice its normal level (21-46) and there was a time limit of 5 min. We could have beat him if the time limit didn't run out =/

#110 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@rapid: Yeah, I think they need to make it a lot more obvious which is which. fwiw, the Nightmare modes that have a timelimit also increase said timelimit by killing stuff. So you might be able to increase the timer by killing the flying enemies (Ospreys?) at Jackal (unless I'm thinking of Hyena)

edit: to make things more confusing, they also of course add 20 levels to nightmare mode mobs. Which is pretty trivial for Mercury, but gets really brutal on Pluto and such.

@therealmoot: You are on the invite list.

#111 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@mnemoidian: @rapid: I played Nightmare with a level 1 Loki on Mercury. It didn't go so well.

#112 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

@rapid said:

@mrcraggle: @mnemoidian: I almost feel like you should be able to select if you want to do the normal or nightmare. Normal enemies are still easy but the bosses are really difficult for new players or under leveled warframes. My Level 15 Vuaban and Level 20 Snipetron had no problem taking out the normal enemies in Nightmare Mode. I didn't even notice that I was playing Nightmare.

However, @jeffsekai and I attempted jackal boss on nightmare and it didn't go to well. I had no idea. That's when I realized we were playing Nightmare Mode because I saw that the boss was more than twice its normal level (21-46) and there was a time limit of 5 min. We could have beat him if the time limit didn't run out =/

word

#113 Edited by Rapid (1358 posts) -

Because people have been getting lost I drew out a rough picture (in paint) of the layout of the dojo.

Note: Taswell Hall (named because someone had written "LOVE RYAN DAVIS" in the hall sign prior when I was updating the signs) leads to a TBA room not shown in the diagram.

I also made the signs more informative by putting arrows to where each door leads Read the arrows in the direction you are facing when you are reading the signs. (hopefully makes sense)

Also reminder that there will be another developer O&A live stream 7/17/13 2pm EDT (https://warframe.com/news/twitch-livestream-10-update-9-walkthrough-qa)

#114 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

At everyone: Please stop by the 3 laboratories and contribute what you can. We're getting close to having the blueprints to the first batch of researched blueprints, but we're going to need some help with materials.

And while you're at it, give the obstacle course a spin!

@rapid: Ah, that's awesome. Thanks for doing that!

I am thinking about making some long-term remodeling. Something like replacing the 1F reactor opposite the elevator with an elevator going down, and making that... the reactor sub-level? (it does suck that it would require us to make another temporary reactor, just to afford the energy to make the elevator + corridors required to get another floor... not sure how I feel about that)

Seeing how Reactors are pretty boring, seems like a pretty good idea to get those out of the way, and frees up some space for expanding on the top 2 floors.

I'll probably also add another Cross Corridor after Taswell hall (naming that room is going to save us so much hassle). I've got a feeling that DE will be adding a lot more types of rooms in the future, so... probably a good idea to leave us some options.

@jackel2072: Would be awesome with some support (promoting people), or if you could transfer the clan to someone who is still playing the game (@mrcraggle or me, for instance), would really suck to end up in a situation where we need the Warlord to do something after we've built this much stuff, and can't get a hold of you (kind of like now :) ). Also, you should stop by the dojo, it's pretty cool now.

#115 Posted by victorhsu29 (1 posts) -

Hey guys, could you add me? My tag is Swagg3r. Thanks!

#116 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3198 posts) -

@mnemoidian: Hey dude when you got a chance send me another invite to the clan.

#117 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: @victorhsu29: done.

In other news, Livestream 10 (so far it's only on twitch archive)was earlier today (and there's a 24h alert with a forma blueprint - level20-ish infested mobile defense). They're talking about unintentionally making the game harder than it was, introducing new enemies, and nightmare mode not being as obvious as it should be.

and much more. I'm sure someone will post the youtube archive when it's up.

#118 Edited by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@rapid: Damn nice job with the layout stuff. I didn't think to do that.

@mnemoidian: I was out all day so I missed the stream but i'll watch the archive at some point.

#119 Posted by Binny (96 posts) -

@mnemoidian: I sent it to Jackel2072. My in-game name is binfodus if you can invite me to the clan.

#120 Posted by Binny (96 posts) -

#121 Posted by Branthog (7529 posts) -

@jackel2072:

Thought this game looked like crap until I gave it a try. The unlocking and the progression really gets me. I hope they keep adding a ton of weapons and things to keep me coming back. Anyway, I'll be happy to join the GB clan and I'm sure my brother will, too, if I can convince him to play.

I'm Branthog in the game.

Oh - and the Starter Pack is $10 on Steam for the next eight hours.

#122 Posted by xengiantbomb (20 posts) -

Adding myself to the list, it would be great to play with other duders, been playing the game since the 1st open beta so it's awesome to see the game grow and more people participating in it!.

User: gouch

#123 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Looks like we've hit 30 members. (our current max size)

With 6 people pending, it would be awesome if @jackel2072 could log on and clear out the invite list (and maybe some of the long-time inactive people off of the clan roster) so we can get the rest of these new people in. Either way, we're going to keep being hampered untill we have an active Warlord (clan master).

Or we'll have to upgrade to 100-size clan, which will raise crafting costs for building significantly.

#124 Posted by Silver-Streak (1346 posts) -

I'd be interested in an Invite. In-game name is Trayal.

#125 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -

Hey guys, can I please get an invite also? I am redrubberboots in game.

#126 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@newhaap: @eujin: @xengiantbomb: @branthog: @binny: All invited.

And anyone who had not accepted an invite 'till now will need to post again, as the pending invites list has been cleared.

Here's the thing - we're close to our current cap of 30 members (this CAN be raised). For now, I'm cautious about bumping us up to the 100 limit, because of how much more expensive the dojo and research will get. Especially considering that we are currently ~8 active members out of those 30.

I've been promoted to "General", so I can do some basic clan administrative tasks now.

Because of this, I propose this: We'll start by kicking out long-term inactive people until we run out of inactive people. (for now, "Inactive, means 90+ days away). As we grow, we'll keep considering if it's a good idea to raise the size to 100. Hopefully that's something that makes sense in a few days/weeks time - and that everyone who is invited can get to play with us.

Important: If you get kicked for inactivity, you are still welcome back. Just make another post about wanting an invite. This is all about mitigating cost and prioritizing people who are actively playing the game. I expect that once we upgrade to the up to 100 clan size, we'll be fine 'till PS4's launch, unless Warframe gains a lot of popularity (in general or on Giant Bomb) - without needing to kick inactive people.

Would be nice to get a Clan Emblem for the banner thing, but I think that's a Warlord only thing but we're in much better shape now.

Thoughts? Is this fair?

#127 Edited by Rapid (1358 posts) -

@mnemoidian: I think it's fair, hopefully Alliances will be rolled out soon and will solve this problem. We could have Giant Bomb community alliance where the most active players will remain in the main GB clan (Heavy Industries) and then more casual players can be moved to like a second clan (like Kite Co Clan, or Unofficial Classic Clan)

A clan emblem would be awesome.

#128 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@rapid: Did some quick research on emblems - 150 platinum to submit an emblem (128x128 PNG, I think? I forget now...) which, if rejected, will not be refunded. Has to be done by Warlord.

And we need someone to make an emblem. Probably should get some proper information first, though :)

And doing some thinking about remodeling the dojo (Reactor sublevel), I may post a modified map with my idea tomorrow. Good news, though - it seems like destroyed rooms' "materials" are placed in the "clan vault" - which can then be used to build new rooms. Meaning that anything we break can be rebuilt without people needing to put in more resources.

Not sure how that works with scaling, but... l

#129 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@mnemoidian: That seems perfectly fair to me. Like you said, there are a small group of us that are active and 90 days with no activity is a lot of time to go without playing. It also means that a lot of members are getting a pass without contributing to building the dojo as a few of us have spent actual platinum there. As for the emblem thing, I'm sure there are a number of graphic designers/artists on this site we could probably ask to help out.

#130 Edited by Silver-Streak (1346 posts) -

@mnemoidian: I might be missing something, and feel ultra dumb. but I don't see an invite, or maybe I don't know where to go to find it.

Edit: Disregard. I am dumb. I missed the screen on the contacts window. My apologies

#131 Posted by Jackel2072 (2254 posts) -

i will pay for the emblem we just need a good design that maybe we can all vote on? something in the spirit of Giant Bomb!

#132 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

Could we just not have the Giant Bomb or maybe something more stylized to fit in with Warframe.

#133 Posted by Jackel2072 (2254 posts) -

Well I don't think we should just have the giant bomb logo no. Something stylized for sure. But we are a giant Bomb clan. We should have something in the spirit of the site I think.

#134 Posted by Rapid (1358 posts) -

Highlight Stream from the Warframe GB Clan

Member (In-Game Name)Warframe
RapidxNova
MnemodianNova
mrcaggleRhino
TEKUMSLoki

(Finally found a fix for the screen cropping, should be fixed next video.)

Tips and Tricks for Defense Missions

I've been having the best results with Nova and Banshee in defense missions. Nova's Ult, Molecular prime and her first ability Null star seems to completely erase early and mid wave mobs. Molecular Prime illuminates all enemies within range with a light, when illuminated enemy is killed they will explode causing splash damage to other enemies. Null star is a really good catalyst for Molecular Prime because it is strong enough to kill the weak mobs with guaranteed accuracy. Killing one enemy sets off a chain reaction of explosions with usually ends up eradicating all the weaker mobs leaving just the surviving ancients to deal with. I've also been experimenting with Anti Matter, Nova's second skill which sends out an energy orb that absorb incoming damage until it collides with an enemy and explodes. One strategy I've seen people employ is to send out Anti-Matter Orb and begin shooting it, allowing it absorb self-inflicted damage. I think using Anti-Matter drop for setting off Molecular Prime's effect could also be a viable strategy. The only downside is you need really watch Nova's energy consumption and make sure you have enough to make sure the Molecular Prime. (Ult always up!) Nova's skills are not strong individually.Finally Nova has another skill, Worm Hole but doesn't really come into play on defense missions. I guess in dire situations you use it to teleport to a fallen player, or closer to the pod but usually its easier just to sprint and slide...

Banshee is also excellent for defense missions as well, her key abilities are Sonic Boom and Sonar. Sonic Boom fires a straight ahead shockwave, able to push and knock back enemies. While not the strongest, it's really effective for pushing back mobs away from the artifact or pod your trying to defend. Sonar sends out a pulse of light which paint (creates) random weak-spots (orange) on enemies and their location on the map for you and your team to exploit. This comes most handy against the ancients who are just bullet sponges normally and can really do damage to teammates. With the right weapons and gear ancients go down in only a few shots after creating these weak points. Both Sonic Boom and Sonar have low energy requirement which means you can use them as often and frequently to benefit the team. Banshee's ult, Sound Quake sends out violent pulse waves around her, any enemies that come into contact with Sound Quake will get hit with damage comparable to Mag's Crush. However, while casting Sound Quake Banshee is still vulnerable to bullets.

Another Warframe I have tried is Vauban, he is considered one of the top frames within the Warframe community. @mnemoidian can probably speak more about this frame because he has been playing Vauban longer than I. Vauban's most notable abilities for defense missions are: Tesla, Bastille, and Vortex. For Tesla, Vauban throws down a grenade that sticks to any nearby surface you are aiming at. It zaps any nearby enemies that get within its range. One fun thing to do is to stick Tesla onto another player, effectively making them a walking Tesla coil =). Bastille creates a containment field trapping and stunning enemies in mid-air, really effective for crowd control and allowing your teammates to gang up on the mobs in suspended animation. Vortex creates a whirlpool sucking enemies mobs together in one location, crushing them in the process, very useful for drawing enemies away from the artifact / pod in defense missions.

#135 Posted by Humanity (9053 posts) -

I started getting back into the game a bit a sent out some invites.

Humanity if anyone wants to friend me first <3

#136 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4390 posts) -

I would appreciate an invite as well, mi amigo. Name is just BabyChooChoo.

Seemed to be getting put on a lot of teams today with people who just freaking book it though entire levels without killing enemies or anything and it's getting kind of annoying.

#137 Edited by Rapid (1358 posts) -

@babychoochoo: @humanity: Added you to my friend list however, the clan at its current level is at capacity. Clan Leaders will have to sort it out, basically we'll need to upgrade our clan to a higher tier. Rest assured once it gets worked out, you duders will definitely be added to the clan!

The dilemma being that the cost of running a clan (in game resources) will increase dramatically. So everyone contribute resources to the dojo! The more you contribute the more rewards (exclusive weapons and items) all clan members get.

#138 Edited by newhaap (421 posts) -

I would appreciate an invite as well, mi amigo. Name is just BabyChooChoo.

Seemed to be getting put on a lot of teams today with people who just freaking book it though entire levels without killing enemies or anything and it's getting kind of annoying.

I know, I seem to get them half of the time though so it's not too bad. If you're into playing the game more methodically definitely count me in! I'm redrubberboots in game.

#139 Posted by chupicobra (1 posts) -

Hi guys, would it be possible to get an invite please? Name is chupicobra. Thanks!

#140 Posted by Humanity (9053 posts) -

@rapid: A little late to the party it seems! Oh well, I guess I'll keep trucking along - I accepted a Clan invite but it must have been the old clan which is largely inactive it seems by EarlessShrimp? I thought the Neon Lobsters was the new one then noticed everyone on that friends list had a last login over 200 days ago.

During the beta the game was a lot rougher and empty I suppose. I feel like they did something to it in this new iteration that makes it seem a lot more dynamic and fun. The defense missions are neat and offer a bunch of cool upgrades. Overall the whole game has hooked me for the time being quite well - maybe because I'm one of those 5 guys in the world that actually enjoyed Dark Sector. (I even have a glaive melee weapon in Warframe)

What I don't like about what they're doing is how it's not a necessarily pay to win Free-to-Play but rather pay to progress. While other games from this genre at least offer this illusion that eventually you'll grind out those 500,000 credits for a new hat, Warframe kind of straight up says NO you have to pay if you want anything and thats the only way you'll ever get it. To me thats a bit of a turn off. Apart from leveling the beginning gear I have, without obtaining platinum I don't see myself ever getting anything new. I can't get a new frame or new head etc from just playing the missions. I think from my perspective, I'd be willing to pay to get some stuff as long as I knew that it was also obtainable through a long road of grinding. That way I could buy one thing and maybe grind out for the lesser items. As it stands I'm kind of reluctant to put money into it although I realize that they can't really function as a company without people spending real money on their game.

Weirdly enough I always felt a bit iffy about putting money into Free-to-Plays but have no problem in just buying a retail title. I missed the boat but if the Warframe starter kits go on Flash sales again I'd probably buy it.

#141 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Turns out I can't actually remove people from the clan.

Seeing how we have 4 people wanting to get in, @jackel2072 could you remove raynate2022 (46d offline), roninenix (35d offline), SquareBoat (25d offline), Voltication (19d offline), please?

And I guess we might as well start looking into building the next hall and just get it over with.

For the record, here's (scroll down to cost of building stuff in dojo) what we're talking about, building a Research room (Oracle or Lab), for a Shadow Clan (up to 30 members) costs:

3000 credits, 1950 Salvage, 1050 circuits, 1050 polymer bundles, 1 forma.

For a Storm Clan (up to 100 members) that cost is:

10000 credits (+7000), 6500 salvage (+4550), 3500 Circuits (+2450), 3500 polymer bundles (+2450), 2 forma (+1). In other words, except for Forma, we're talking about increasing building costs more than 3 times.

Wonder if anyone has made a template/site for simplifying dojo planning yet...

#142 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

@mnemoidian: Rapid messaged me and I think we should hold off just for the moment. I think there are enough of us to build what we need to for the time being and once that's all done, then we expand. The added cost just isn't worth it imo. Brand new members will also see the benefit of coming in later as they'll have access to all of the new weapons, rooms etc.

#143 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Right. We currently have 3 reactors, and I feel like they are seriously in the way of making a Dojo that makes sense. As such... here's my suggestion for Long-term Dojo development (And getting to 100 member clan, without wasting a lot of resources remodeling).

Notes:

• Green colored rooms are rooms I plan to build as part of this push
  • Faint grey rooms are just there to show my idea for how to continue building the Reactor Sublevel. You'll Notice that it's quite easy to scale this out further as necessary, using the same basic idea. We only need 3 Reactors right now, though.
  • Red is reserved for Future use (DE will be adding rooms to the dojo).
  • The ovals with are just there to explain what I plan to do with said rooms. the 3F elevator becoming a Reactor is a temporary thing, as we can't remove the Reactor that will become the B1 elevator otherwise.

Steps by step (I'll strike things out as steps finish here, bold means "In progress" (probably needs resources!)):

1. Build the "3F Elevator Reactor".
  2. Remove the "B1 Elevator Reactor". (Resources to the vault)
  3. Build the B1 Elevator.
  4. Build the First B1 cross connector corridor.
  5. Build the Second B1 cross Connector.
  6. Build the First B1 Reactor.
  7. Build the Third B1 Cross connector corridor (Resources Gathered)
  8. Delete the 3F Reactor (Countdown started!)
  9. Build the second B1 Reactor.
  10. Delete Future Activities Reactor (Countdown started!)
  11. Build Third B1 Reactor
  12. Delete Research Reactor (Resources to Vault)
  13. Build Great Hall cross connector (low prio)
  14. Build Great hall

And here's the map: (edit: I realize that I've messed up the sublevel reactor - the elevator on the sublevel is in the wrong position (as elevators exits on the same side as they enter). I'll fix that in the next update of the map, but just means it's flipped horizontally.)

Thoughts?

#144 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@mrcraggle: Sure, that works as well - I still think we need to move the reactors, so my plan (minus the Great Hall) stands :)

#146 Posted by mrcraggle (1903 posts) -

Right. We currently have 3 reactors, and I feel like they are seriously in the way of making a Dojo that makes sense. As such... here's my suggestion for Long-term Dojo development (And getting to 100 member clan, without wasting a lot of resources remodeling).

Notes:

• Green colored rooms are rooms I plan to build as part of this push
  • Faint grey rooms are just there to show my idea for how to continue building the Reactor Sublevel. You'll Notice that it's quite easy to scale this out further as necessary, using the same basic idea. We only need 3 Reactors right now, though.
  • Red is reserved for Future use (DE will be adding rooms to the dojo).
  • The ovals with are just there to explain what I plan to do with said rooms. the 3F elevator becoming a Reactor is a temporary thing, as we can't remove the Reactor that will become the B1 elevator otherwise.

Steps by step (I'll strike things out as steps finish here, bold means "In progress" (probably needs resources!)):

1. Build the "3F Elevator Reactor". (Resource gathering now!)
  2. Remove the "B1 Elevator Reactor". (Resources should end up in the vault)
  3. Build the B1 Elevator.
  4. Build the First B1 cross connector corridor
  5. Build the Second B1 cross Connector
  6. Build the First B1 Reactor (this should be free, using resources in vault)
  7. Build the Third B1 Cross connector corridor
  8. Delete the 3F Reactor (Resources to vault!)
  9. Build the second B1 Reactor (resources from vault)
  10. Delete Future Activities Reactor (Resources to Vault)
  11. Build Third B1 Reactor (Resources from vault)
  12. Delete Research Reactor (Resources to Vault)
  13. Build Great Hall cross connector (low prio)
  14. Build Great hall

And here's the map:

Thoughts?

I dig it. I was actually thinking a similar thing when it came to the reactors. It completely makes sense that they're placed elsewhere as they serve a great purpose for the dojo but actually very little to the player.

#147 Edited by Rapid (1358 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rapid: A little late to the party it seems! Oh well, I guess I'll keep trucking along - I accepted a Clan invite but it must have been the old clan which is largely inactive it seems by EarlessShrimp? I thought the Neon Lobsters was the new one then noticed everyone on that friends list had a last login over 200 days ago.

During the beta the game was a lot rougher and empty I suppose. I feel like they did something to it in this new iteration that makes it seem a lot more dynamic and fun. The defense missions are neat and offer a bunch of cool upgrades. Overall the whole game has hooked me for the time being quite well - maybe because I'm one of those 5 guys in the world that actually enjoyed Dark Sector. (I even have a glaive melee weapon in Warframe)

What I don't like about what they're doing is how it's not a necessarily pay to win Free-to-Play but rather pay to progress. While other games from this genre at least offer this illusion that eventually you'll grind out those 500,000 credits for a new hat, Warframe kind of straight up says NO you have to pay if you want anything and thats the only way you'll ever get it. To me thats a bit of a turn off. Apart from leveling the beginning gear I have, without obtaining platinum I don't see myself ever getting anything new. I can't get a new frame or new head etc from just playing the missions. I think from my perspective, I'd be willing to pay to get some stuff as long as I knew that it was also obtainable through a long road of grinding. That way I could buy one thing and maybe grind out for the lesser items. As it stands I'm kind of reluctant to put money into it although I realize that they can't really function as a company without people spending real money on their game.

Weirdly enough I always felt a bit iffy about putting money into Free-to-Plays but have no problem in just buying a retail title. I missed the boat but if the Warframe starter kits go on Flash sales again I'd probably buy it.

We are working on the clan issue but I have you my friend list in game so as soon as we do that I'll invite you. Unfortunately I don't have control over clan size. Read@mnemoidian post underneath yours for more details.

About the Free To Play System

I think you have a valid point about the free to play system. I would say it is "pay to get more up front". It's definitely the text book pay with your money or your time argument (which I don't fully agree with). The game straight up lets you pay for new warframes that true. However, there is a way to grind for helmets and warframes, and weapons. I will be the first to say that none of it is made obvious. The developers right now for better or for worse are catering to their present "vocal" player base. This is no more evident then the lackluster tutorial which go through basic controls and then throws you into the star map. Not going over any of the crucial advance controls like wall runnning, sliding, backflipping that you will need progress through the levels easier. It also doesn't talk about the Foundry.

The Foundry is the crafting system which is the alternative to paying with money to unlock items. Throughout the game you hopefully will come across blueprints which are dropped by boss enemies (less likely), rewarded in alerts (public events), or as rewards in defense missions. There blue prints lets you spend resources farmed in game to build components needed to create Warframes and helmets.

Try to break it down (For example lets what you need to craft Banshee)

Warframe Components

ComponentsCostTime to Build
Banshee Blue Print35,000 in the Market or by dropNA
Banshee ChassisFerrite x 900, Morphics x 1, Rubedo x 50, Credits 15,00012 Hours
Banshee HelmetCircuits x 150, Neural Sensors x 1, Polymer Bundle x 200, Salvage x 500, Credits 15,00012 Hours
Banshee SystemsControl Module x 1, Morphics x1, Salvage x 500, Plastids x 400, Credits 15,00012 Hours
Orokin CellOrokin Cell x1NA
Credits25,000
Build Time 3 Days

vs

225 Platinum

Let just take the base price on the official page (https://warframe.com/buyplatinum)

75 x 3 => $3.99 USD x 3 = $11.97

That being said I have clocked about 80 hours in Warframe playing with fellow duders on the GB clan. In that time I managed to craft:

• Cronus (Weapon)
  • Banshee Warframe
  • Banshee Alternative Helmet
  • Vauban Warframe
  • Plasma Sword
  • Glaive (weapon)
  • Kunai
  • Snipetron
  • Orthos
  • Pangolin Sword
  • Hate
  • Fang
  • Hikou

Vs

Here's what I paid platnium for

• Bolto Rifle
  • Nova Warframe
  • Twin Vipers
  • Sentinel Pack
  • Forma x5 (for the clan!)
  • Orokin (Potatos) x 5

Note: There are many alternative ways of purchasing platnium *look for the best deals

• Becoming a Founder
  • Steam Starter Packs ($10 Flash Sale)
#148 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@rapid: @humanity: As Rapid touched on, you are wrong about the whole "pay to progress" - it's just not very well-surfaced as to how you access warframes and weapons without paying Platinum. In fact - EVERYTHING in the game (except for the Sentinel cosmetics, color schemes, and some other cosmetic stuff) can be obtained through playing the game:

• Many (most) weapon blueprints are available for credits in the marketplace.
  • All warframes' blueprints (except for the primes) are sold in the market for credits.
  • 3 weapon (blueprints) are obtainable from a special event that only occurs randomly after you've killed a boss.
  • Most warframe component blueprints (you need these (system, chassis, helmet) for the blueprint (previous point) to make sense) are obtained by farming (specific) bosses.
  • One warframe (and components' blueprints) (more in the future, certainly) and a few weapon (blueprints) and Forma are available through farming "The Void" (this is basically high level-expert difficulty missions)
  • One warframe's component blueprints (Banshee) and Void keys are obtained from "Tier 3 endless defense rewards" - random rewards from "extraction offers" (every 5 waves)
  • Forma, One warframe's component blueprints are only available from alerts (the ones with a "?" reward), as are a few weapon blueprints. (Vauban, Heat dagger, Heat Sword, Pangolin Sword, Dark Sword, all auras). Orokin Catalysts and Orokin Reactors are also only available from random alert rewards. (they have a twitter account announcing what the rewards are, check that out - google "warframe alerts")
  • ... and of course there's the tier 3 login rewards (7+ days logged in in a row) which can net you weapon blueprints, forma, orokin reactors, orokin catalysts, experience, platinum discounts and more)

Orokin Catalysts and Orokin Reactors are very rare and hard to get a hold of without Platinum - there's someone on the Warframe forums charting how often these are available from alerts - I believe it's about twice a week according to his data. But they are not necessary for every weapon or warframe, unless you really want to be push what they can do.

Basically, it's pretty evenly distributed across different things you'll interact with. Platinum is there to be the shortcut to remove the grind of obtaining these warframes, weapons (and mods! don't forget about mods.)

I've spent a lot of time with Warframe, Steam's saying 270 hours, Warframe's claiming around 200 (there's a timer ingame), I've now unlocked every warframe - and only used platinum to unlock one. I've unlocked 13 primary weapons (I think I used platinum for one), 7 secondary weapons and 16 melee weapons (2 with platinum).

I will say though, that I think a lot of the things that cost platinum are pretty expensive though.

#149 Edited by Humanity (9053 posts) -

@rapid: @mnemoidian: I guess you are right that you can grind them out, but as Rapid said none of this is made very clear. I played the very early beta when weapon schematics were those charts and you put in nodes as your equipment leveled up. I've put in roughly 12 hours over the last 2-3 days. When I just started playing again I was pretty lost with all the new systems. I had to go on YouTube to make any sense of the upgrade system. Granted, if you follow their channel and keep up with their website then most of these things would be pretty clear, but to someone coming in brand new none of it is touched upon.

After an intense 3 days of playing I got one Banshee chassis blueprint and one helmet blueprint for another frame. I have a level 20 frame and only today did I get my first Morphic drop. Also when you buy frame blueprints it isn't made clear that you'll then need to collect each component to make the entire frame. I wanted to craft a Nyx frame and bought the blueprint so you have to imagine my surprise when I go into foundry and realize I need each and every body piece and haven't the faintest clue as to how to begin acquiring said components.

So I'll reiterate that yes you can get everything as both you and Rapid have apparently accrued quite a wealth of frames and weapons - but at the same time both of you have spent considerable time with the game. I can't really complain about having to spend 100+ hours to actually get anything new when it's not costing me a dime, but they really should make a lot of these things clearer when at the present it feels like "hey there is a way to get this stuff, but we're not gonna really talk about it, instead just buy some platinum."

That aside I'm still having fun with it. I really love the aesthetics and some levels really surprise you when you walk out of the metal installation into this natural vista with waterfalls and huge cliffs. They're great at portraying and showcasing verticality. I'd almost wish for levels that are more vertical rather than horizontal but the wall running is really janky at the moment so maybe it's for the best. This game has some fun animations but Prince of Persia it is not.

#150 Edited by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@humanity: Yeah, don't get me wrong - they certainly have a lot of work left to do to expose information about how to progress. Their only defense is that they are still in (open) beta, and they are changing things very rapidly. I certainly agree with you - I just wanted to correct you :)

They are both revamping interfaces (foundry in the latest update) and adding new content, though... yeah, you could argue that they should spend more effort on making it clear how some of their existing systems work before adding new ones. On the other hand, without new content, the game stagnates and the core players - people who have put a lot of time into it already, will go away.

Personally, I have considered making a topic on these forums along the lines of "How to get the most out of playing Warframe for free" to help with the issue, but not gotten around to it.

edit: and obviously the Warframe Wiki is the best place to find information about what is found where and how.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.