Screen Captures

#1 Edited by zenmastah (879 posts) -

Game is a real looker for sure!

#2 Posted by LordLOC (180 posts) -

Yup, Digital Extremes own home grown engine for this bad boy. It's called the "Evolution Engine" and for the first game using it, not to mention all things considered with a new engine, it's very impressive stuff. Runs smooth as butter, looks absolutely gorgeous and best of all, uses DX11 and isn't a 35 gig download for the game. Which is amazing also.

#3 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

How's everyone playing this? Is it an open beta already or invite only? Saw that IGN were giving away keys but I didn't want to have to create an account with them...

#4 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

@LordLOC said:

Yup, Digital Extremes own home grown engine for this bad boy. It's called the "Evolution Engine" and for the first game using it, not to mention all things considered with a new engine, it's very impressive stuff. Runs smooth as butter, looks absolutely gorgeous and best of all, uses DX11 and isn't a 35 gig download for the game. Which is amazing also.

The game does look really good but the small size worries me in terms of the variety of the environments. Even if the game is really fun if the environments don't change enough ill get bored really fast, hopefully the engine has something in it to keep the variety up.

#5 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

@Pazy:

Well then, prepare to be disappointed. It's the major flaw of this game that I've found so far.

#6 Posted by Nights (607 posts) -

@Pazy said:

@LordLOC said:

The game does look really good but the small size worries me in terms of the variety of the environments. Even if the game is really fun if the environments don't change enough ill get bored really fast, hopefully the engine has something in it to keep the variety up.

I believe they said they were working on new environments. I'm waiting for them to fix the friends listing/joining game issues (last update messed things up). Anyway, it's nice to see the original Dark Sector aesthetic back from the dead, as I was extremely pumped for that game when they first showed it.

#7 Posted by LordLOC (180 posts) -

@Vitor said:

How's everyone playing this? Is it an open beta already or invite only? Saw that IGN were giving away keys but I didn't want to have to create an account with them...

There are a few sites you can just go to and get a key without signing up. I know Incgamers is one. Go to www.incgamers.com and look for their giveaway for it and just click to get a key. It should work fine.

And yeah, the environments do repeat over and over, but this is also because it's just getting started beta wise and alot of content isn't in the game yet. Or at least, that's what the devs say. They said like mentioned above they are working on new environments for the game, and I'm sure at some point they will add some sort of "map mix up" thing so you won't play 3 or 4 samey looking maps in a row.

#8 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@LordLOC said:

@Vitor said:

There are a few sites you can just go to and get a key without signing up. I know Incgamers is one. Go to www.incgamers.com and look for their giveaway for it and just click to get a key. It should work fine.

And yeah, the environments do repeat over and over, but this is also because it's just getting started beta wise and alot of content isn't in the game yet. Or at least, that's what the devs say. They said like mentioned above they are working on new environments for the game, and I'm sure at some point they will add some sort of "map mix up" thing so you won't play 3 or 4 samey looking maps in a row.

It also seems that the levels are somewhat randomly generated. I've done a couple missions two or three times and they are different layouts every time. So, there's that too at least.

#9 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -

Surely there will be more variety in levels once the game gets out of beta, i mean if not im done with it.

About the engine it really shows it powers in darker levels with the lighting imo, looks pretty damn good.

#10 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -
#11 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

For how basic the gameplay is and the low amount of enemies and environments, the game is very fun while it lasts. It is so damn fast and a bit frantic and a joy to just play. 
Shooting at guys while your teammates run in slicing them with swords or vice versa is a blast, and once you all unlock your powerups it gets even more crazy. 
Its really fun to sit back and just watch the carnage going on, just like with Anarchy Reigns.

#12 Posted by zenmastah (879 posts) -

Thats why the laser doors are so damn annoying, they halt the speed too much.

#13 Posted by JaredA (820 posts) -

@zenmastah: I know! Finding the cameras that disable them takes too long sometimes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.