Update 8 coming this Friday

#1 Edited by ShaggyDude (136 posts) -

In case you missed it, there was a live stream with some Warframe developers this afternoon where they discussed Update 8. They showed off new weapons, talked about player trading and player-built dojos and where Warframe might go in the future. Check out the archived version here.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the clan features they talked about and I thought it was kind of awesome seeing the directors of a video game in front of a camera talking about this stuff even before the game is out of beta.

#2 Edited by Aggh (2 posts) -

It's just a content update (tenno reinforcement) going up friday. The devs have yet to announce when update 8 will be going live.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'll be happy if it's just stability and connection fixes. The game's been up and down all week and maybe half of the games I connect to lag like balls.

I really enjoy Warframe when it's working optimally but it seems like there are still quite a few issues to iron out in the beta.

#4 Edited by Aggh (2 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

I'll be happy if it's just stability and connection fixes. The game's been up and down all week and maybe half of the games I connect to lag like balls.

I really enjoy Warframe when it's working optimally but it seems like there are still quite a few issues to iron out in the beta.

The main purpose of an open beta is to do stress testing, so tbh I wasn't really surprised to see server stability issues. As soon as I saw it in the top ten on steam I knew there'd be issues. I don't think anyone (including the devs) expected the player base to grow so rapidly.

As for lagging, are you sure you're in the right region? It might seem like a good idea at first to go to set the game to a match making region with more players, but the game is peer to peer and if you're too far away from the host you are guaranteed to lag balls.

Another thing to consider is whether your connection is capable of hosting. The game can use ~125 kb/s hosting a four player game when things get busy so if your upload speed isn't that great you probably shouldn't be hosting.

#5 Posted by mrcraggle (1938 posts) -

I think there has been some miscommunication, update 8 is not today, only a patch. U8 currently has no ETA.

#6 Edited by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

@aggh said:

@ravenlight said:

The main purpose of an open beta is to do stress testing, so tbh I wasn't really surprised to see server stability issues. As soon as I saw it in the top ten on steam I knew there'd be issues. I don't think anyone (including the devs) expected the player base to grow so rapidly.

As for lagging, are you sure you're in the right region? It might seem like a good idea at first to go to set the game to a match making region with more players, but the game is peer to peer and if you're too far away from the host you are guaranteed to lag balls.

Another thing to consider is whether your connection is capable of hosting. The game can use ~125 kb/s hosting a four player game when things get busy so if your upload speed isn't that great you probably shouldn't be hosting.

I just wish I could choose to always host public games instead of being forced to join someone else's party if it exists. I realize it would split the playerbase a little more, but the game isn't fun when 75% of the public games I connect to are borderline unplayable with people whose connections aren't fast enough to host. I've got 20 down/10 up, so it's not me, and when I connect to any of my friends' games it's completely fine.

#7 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3407 posts) -

@ajamafalous: That would be cool. Don't know if its in the game but would be great if they had some sort of trading system in for trading mods and warframes but probably would defeat the purpose of a looting system if you can get mods from other friends on the cheap.

#8 Edited by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@ajamafalous: That would be cool. Don't know if its in the game but would be great if they had some sort of trading system in for trading mods and warframes but probably would defeat the purpose of a looting system if you can get mods from other friends on the cheap.

IIRC, they've mentioned wanting to add trading quite a few times, actually.

EDIT: Oh, I guess that's mentioned in the OP, lol. I think it would be neat to have but I'm not sure it would be all that useful for mods. It would be incredibly useful for blueprints, though.

#9 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I just wish I could choose to always host public games instead of being forced to join someone else's party if it exists. I realize it would split the playerbase a little more, but the game isn't fun when 75% of the public games I connect to are borderline unplayable with people whose connections aren't fast enough to host. I've got 20 down/10 up, so it's not me, and when I connect to any of my friends' games it's completely fine.

I'm in the same boat. Speedtest tells me I've got 10 down/25 up(???). I'd love to be the host all the time and share by bountiful internets with others. I'll poke around the official forums and suggest it if this hasn't already been requested as a feature.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.