Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wargame: European Escalation

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 23, 2012

A RTS by the R.U.S.E. developers Eugen Systems set in an alternate Cold War period.

Basic strategies for newer players?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Giantstalker

Alright, so I've played quite a few 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 beta matches mostly to just try to understand this game a bit. I usually play NATO. Here are some things I noticed:

• All other things equal, NATO tanks almost never get to shoot first due to the PACT getting missiles on almost every MBT and IFV.
    • ATGM infantry are almost always worth their weight in gold (Dragon/Fagot or Dragon II/Konkurs). SAM infantry are great too.
    • Artillery landing near vehicles and infantry can stun them, even if they aren't getting hit or destroyed. This is really useful both offensively and defensively.
    • If you make a mistake, tanks die extremely quickly. Even if you buy expensive ones, screw up and they'll be panicked/stunned and surrounded.
    • The most cost-effective NATO anti-air I have used seems to be the Chaparral. Long range, pretty accurate, and cheap.
    • For PACT, the 9K22 Tunguska vehicles are good at pretty much everything but anti-tank. Really, really powerful units (but not cheap).
    • Veteran levels makes a huge difference in unit effectiveness. L3/4 veteran US Rifleman squads can take out many times their number of L0 Motostrelki.
    • Artillery starts off less accurate and shoots tighter as more shots are fired in an area (maybe obvious to some but I only recently discovered this).
    • It may tempting to buy lots of command vehicles and try to control the map, but they generate points really slowly. Be warned.
    • The 'move fast' function can and has decided games... both for and against me. Taking roads and highways is crucial a lot of the time.
    • If you feel confident, you can actually delete your initial FOB and Command Vehicle for extra points to spend on units.
    • The best way to use artillery seems to be by spreading it out and driving it within a couple kilometers of the frontlines, where it'll deadly accurate.
    • Never, ever, ever underestimate recon. It's probably the single most important thing in this game, if you don't know where the enemy is things can't control the battle at all.

Now none of this is set-in-stone, they're just casual observations from someone who's played a few games. Anyone care to correct me or add some more tips?

stooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By stooh

I spent a good amount of hours playing the beta and I've got a few tips

• Theres 3 tiers of the basic infantry, its worth spending the extra to get at least tier 2.
    • Infantry are stupidly good in forests. Keep them in cover.
    • Rifleman Infantry's AT capability within 700 meters is better then pretty much anything else and they are accurate. Charge close to tanks and dump your infantry on them if you get caught in the open with full APCs.
    • Dont use ATGM infantry to clear vehicles from forests. Their aim time is too long and they get mowed down.
    • Mix missile AA with gun AA. Missiles are great for the range but they wont stop a zerg even with the minor AOE change in the last patch. The reason for this is they don't produce unit stress. This stress stuns units and reduces accuracy. Also the refire rate can be slow and most helo's take 2 hits.
    • Use the recon units a lot. The maps have many routes around so stick scouts around the map. If you don't want your recon to be detected then turn off their weapon by clicking the icon.
    • Only buy vet ATGM infantry. Accuracy takes a good jump at vet 2.
    • Dont be tempted to take hundreds of cheap units. This game is about controlling your losses and it can be hard to keep units alive when your t54's are up vs challengers and leopard 2's. Use cheap units if you're doing something risky but don't be afraid to buy some more powerful gear.
    • Get a flamer unit for your deck. The flamer tanks have a 1000m range and stun infantry, they are by far the best way to clear a forest. Use infantry to scout forward in the forest and have the flamer behind to fire on spotted targets.
    • Helo recon units are great, use them as your main spotter. But keep them back, they are expensive.
    • Don't try and hold too many zones. You don't get much income from them anyway. 1 strong defence is far better then 3 paper barriers.
    • Protect your starting zones command APC with rifle infantry and some AA. Dicks like me will try and ninja your arty and command vehicles in your start zone by dropping commandos in forests and cover.
    • Use arty strikes in areas where you have line of sight. This produces a corrected shot which is around half the radius of blind fire.
    • The NATO mortar carriers are great. Keep them near the lines and pound any resistance with them.
    • ATGM helos with a recon helo is a nasty combo, but keep them at a distance.
    • Buy supply trucks before you need them. Create mini resupply areas near your lines of defence.
    • Having a resupply helo card in your desk is handy for emergencys.

Hope some of this stuff helps

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

@stooh said:

• The NATO mortar carriers are great. Keep them near the lines and pound any resistance with them.

All fantastic tips, I've actually been playing around keeping a lot of them in mind and this one is my favorite. I never even considered this unit or tried it before, but holy crap, the mortars are fantastic (and cheap too). Maybe, my new favorite NATO unit... although I still lose to PACT most of the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.