This game any good?

#1 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

It's second on the top selling chart on steam right now. I'm just wondering if it is any good. Has anyone played it?

#2 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

Haven't played it, but heard good things.

#3 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Well, shit. I've been itching for a new RTS. I haven't heard any buzz about this game.

#4 Edited by stooh (13 posts) -

It's great but seems to be lacking a massive marketing budget. If you want an RTS thats more about tactics then APM and micro then this may be the game for you.

My fave part of the game is the huge amount of units, but you build a 'deck' of 25 units to choose from, meaning you can play in the style you want. Check out this vid if you're interested. The guys accent might be a struggle if you're not used to french accents but he covers everything in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVeNnQT7uF4

#5 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@stooh: Is it possible to play co-op multiplayer, ie against bots?

#6 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@stooh: Thanks, yeah I'm more into the battles than I am economy stuff. I might just buy this.

#7 Posted by fisk0 (3762 posts) -

Looks similar to their previous R.U.S.E., which was OK. I rather liked their older Act of War games, despite being blatant ripoffs of C&C: Generals, hopefully there'll be a quicklook of this, but I think I might be picking it up when it goes on sale.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -
@ze_ro said:

Haven't played it, but heard good things.

Same.
#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

@stooh said:

It's great but seems to be lacking a massive marketing budget. If you want an RTS thats more about tactics then APM and micro then this may be the game for you.

My fave part of the game is the huge amount of units, but you build a 'deck' of 25 units to choose from, meaning you can play in the style you want. Check out this vid if you're interested. The guys accent might be a struggle if you're not used to french accents but he covers everything in the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVeNnQT7uF4

I will be honest, that highlighted part really makes me want to play this game. The main reason I don't care for modern RTS, like Star Craft II and the latest attempts at C&C, is because it feels like it's all built around who can click the mouse faster then other people then about the strategy. Hopefully I can pick it up in the near future when I have some money.

#10 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Hopefully, Dave will do a quicklook for next week. Since this is at the top of the new release list. I'm also down for a TNT, that would be totally badass.

#11 Posted by Giantstalker (1512 posts) -

I love this game, although I can tell it was definitely not made with mass appeal in mind. I second the motion that Dave give this a look, it's better than Eugen Systems' previous work and more people should know about it.

#12 Posted by Dezztroy (769 posts) -

Been playing since beta. It's a great game, it really is. Feels very fresh compared to other RTSes these days.

#13 Posted by stooh (13 posts) -

Sorry mate, no comp stomp as of yet. There's a campaign that's a pretty decent challenge and a 1v1 skirmish vs the AI. There's been a big outcry about the lack of comp stomp, the dev's have said its on the top of their list and should be in the game within a month. They seem pretty engaged with the community so its well worth checking out whats going off at the official forums http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/. The multi player isn't hard to get into, just try the single player to get the hang of everything then jump into a 3v3 or 4v4.

This is a real quality PC game and is well worth the asking price.

#14 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I've been interested in this game, glad to hear its at least interesting

#15 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@stooh said:

Sorry mate, no comp stomp as of yet. There's a campaign that's a pretty decent challenge and a 1v1 skirmish vs the AI. There's been a big outcry about the lack of comp stomp, the dev's have said its on the top of their list and should be in the game within a month. They seem pretty engaged with the community so its well worth checking out whats going off at the official forums http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/. The multi player isn't hard to get into, just try the single player to get the hang of everything then jump into a 3v3 or 4v4.

This is a real quality PC game and is well worth the asking price.

Hmm, well that sounds promising. I might give this a whirl then, thanks!

#16 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

@stooh: Is there a story to the campaign?

#17 Posted by stooh (13 posts) -

There is a story but its an over arcing one rather then anything with characters. The briefings are newsclip stuff, reminds me a little of the story delivery in Close Combat if you ever played them. Alternate history, Russians piling through Germany that sort of thing. It wont win any awards but you'll get a good 13-20 hours out of the campaign. Mostly depending on how aggresive you are, if you play cautious then a mission can take over an hour and there's 21 in total.

#18 Posted by stooh (13 posts) -
#19 Posted by pochepiller (25 posts) -

I like it very much. Its not really easy to pick up for me because I'm just bad at strategy game but the cold war feel is great and the UI is perfect. PERFECT!!!!!

David G.

#20 Posted by smiddy (353 posts) -

It's a very indepth RTS with a strong focus on large scale tactics and less on how fast you can perform tasks.

It's such a shame that there seems to be zero marketing budget for this game, I keep checking the usual sites and Youtube channels but there's nothing out there.

The game has a lot of polish, you can tell the people who made it were serious about building a solid RTS. It's only weakness is the audio. Can't say I care too much for the music, very limited and feels out of place. The sound effects are passable but the voice acting is close to unbearable. The guy doing the campaign speeches... I don't know where they found him, maybe English isn't his first language, but they could have done a lot better. But maybe it's just me.

#21 Posted by cassus (333 posts) -

I like this game a whole lot. Did a semi sloppy review of it on the site. To sum it up so you don't have to read it, what's super neat about it is that it's sort of like a realtime Memoir '44 game. There's a real focus on terrain, more so than any other RTS I've ever played, and I really like that. Line of sight and cover and stuff like that is super important. It feels like they had a really good idea and actually made it into a game. Some people don't like how many units there are, but there aren't actually that many. Most units serve very much the same purpose. Take tanks, for example. The stats that are important are weapon types, accuracy, damage, armor and stabilizers. Stabilizers determine if the tank is best served just camping a hedgerow or for storming an enemy base. If you use a tank with rubbish or no stabilizers to charge an enemy base it'll get picked apart very easily. It's all about looking at the different vehicle stats, deciding which to put in your deck, having a nice balance of stuff for most situations, then go. Mouseover enemy targets will instantly show you what their units are, so you can make decisions pretty much on the fly, the game isn't super fast paced or anything.

If you want to play an RTS that goes for strategy over APM, this is probably the game you'll want. Most fun RTS I've played since supcom and DoW2.

#22 Posted by junglistgamer (65 posts) -

I've been playing WEE today after listening to the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast where they discussed it.So far I'm really enjoying it though some of its systems seemed a little obtuse at first. In some respects it reminds me of the old Close Combat games, which I used to be a huge fan of.

It strikes a nice balance between the standard RTS games that I'm a little bored of and the more complex wargames that I've always found a bit intimidating.

#23 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Well, I'm still hoping for a quick look. I got a tax return waiting to be cashed and I want the crews opinion. If anything probably gonna buy it but some video commentary would be nice.

#24 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I picked this up since it was on sale on Steam. It's pretty good, much better than what I was expecting, especially in terms of presentation. It is very tactical, you can't just rush in because you've got a lot of tanks against infantry because you will get destroyed. But I had fun being destroyed so that's a good thing.

They put out some free DLC that lets you play skirmish mode against AI so it's all good.

#25 Edited by Jackel2072 (2235 posts) -

Yeah i just bought it, and am having a bunch of fun. its really not as hard as some are making it out to be. you just need to know what does what and how to best use each unit. its actually pretty approachable. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.