Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wargame: Red Dragon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

Wargame: Red Dragon is the third entry in Eugen Systems' Cold War real-time tactical series, published by Focus Home Interactive. This game brings the action to East Asia, in contrast to the European focus of the first two titles.

How's the Naval Content?

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I noticed this on the Steam Sale and probably should've asked this earlier, but how does the naval warfare aspect of the game fare? I don't even quite remember the last modern-based RTS with naval combat (and the last games with naval RTS-like combat I've played around with was basically Total War: Rome II and Empire/Napoleon:TW), so I'm leaning towards checking this out next chance I get.

I was wondering how the scale (fleet vs. fleet battles?) and mechanics of the naval battles in Wargame: Red Dragon fare?

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By konig_kei

It's rubbish and no one plays it (naval.) it's basically if you're Redfor, clump your ships together so your ciws can cover all your ships an spam anti ship missiles. If you're blufor you just use heavies and spam asm planes. Don't buy it for the naval. Right now not a lot of people are playing because most people are waiting for the big balance patch that's coming.

Also the single player is rubbish so don't buy it for that either, multiplayer all the way but don't expect anything really balanced till the big patch comes out.

Mageknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Yeah, the naval isn't great right now. We expect that aspect of the game to get cleaned up a bit in the coming months, fingers crossed. It's definitely the side show to the strong ground combat game.

The scale is pretty much fleets of frigates/destroyers facing off. The biggest ships in the game are the Udaloy (Redfor) and Kongo (Blufor), for reference.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@mageknight: @konig_kei: Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll give it a pass for now.

Now that I think of it, are there *any* recent games that are based on modern navies and actually have good naval combat mechanics?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.