Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Dark Millennium was under development by Vigil Games with a release window of Q1 2014. Following THQ's bankruptcy filing and subsequent asset auction in 2013, the development and release of Dark Millennium was effectively canceled.

THQ: Warhammer 40K MMO Doesn't Need A Million Subscribers

eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By eljay

From Gamasutra

"You can imagine that given the fact that we have a lower initial investment than some of our competitors talk about... we don't need the kind of subscriber levels that people throw around, like a million subscribers, to make a lot of money on this title. If we get anywhere near that level, we'll be making
    a lot of money."

Sure, they're not competing against WoW, but they will be competing against TOR. I think its nice THQ is already setting more realistic expectations for the project and not over promising, which says a lot the transition going on in the MMO genre as a whole, but I'm also worried they may not reach for the stars and do everything they'll need to in order to not only get their initial subscriber base, but keep them around for years like WoW has.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I'm glad they are taking this "we're not making a WoW killer" stance.  It means they can set realistic goals, execute them, and make me a happy muthafucker.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

I just hope they polish it well! I don't need an MMO as large as WoW is, I just want a polished one!
    My biggest gripe with WH Online was that the polish of that game was non-existent. It being called a WoW-killer didn't help either since they had so little to offer.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

"...because we're charging $500 per month."

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By djaoni

Unlike popular belief you don't need to earn 50-100+ million dollars a month for a MMO to earn money. 300k users for lets say 2 years would earn them around 93 million dollars(before expenses like server costs etc.) and I'm not even counting people buying the actual game.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MisterMollusk

Dude look at that trailer. I want it noooooooooow.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By wunder_

Dude. I'm so pumped for this. 2012 can't come sooner.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By HeavyDuty32

The only problem I have with it is I don't know what I'll want to play as first!  Judging from the trailer, I think you can at least play as space marines, imperial guard, chaos marines, heretics, and orks.  Throw in Tau and Eldar player characters and we'll be ready to roll!

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By EdIsCool

it could be awesome, unless it gets Crypticed up the wazoo and becomes a heavily instanced piece of crap with severe lag.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By HeavyDuty32

Oh yeah, and I know at least one of the marines it showed being played was a black templar, it would be great if they differentiate between the different types of marines, i.e. codex chapters, black templars, space wolves, what have you.  lol, if that happens, then I'm definitely starting with the space wolves.  Genetically engineered viking werewolf spacemen ftw!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.