Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

Ten years after the events of Chaos Rising, sub-sector Aurelia is still engulfed in all out war. In this third installment of Dawn of War II, you decide the victor!

Breaking Turtlers

mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By mercanis

As the Imperial Guard are the new race, I'm seeing a lot of IG in the multiplayer beta. IG have many turtling options at their disposal. Turrets, mines, and barricades come especially to mind. 

What ways do you players break through these defenses? This question doesn't apply to just IG but any entrenched enemy: techmarine turrets, suppressive fire, etc.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

Oh...I horribly misread that title.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By DocHaus
    @Mercanis: To break through turrets, use vehicle or if possible, units that can jump or burrow and hit turrets at melee range where they are useless. One way of screwing with an entrenched enemy that I'm fond of is taking a Chaos Dreadnaught, giving him a Mark of Khorne, and then activating his bloodlust ability in the middle of their defenses. Sure, it costs a bit, but it is so worth it to watch them panic.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Mercanis: Depends on the tier and what race you are. What faction do you play as? If it is the early stages of the game, and you are a faction with a dev team go for 2 of them. It's control the map and lets your other squads take out the turrets. Imperial guard turrets don't suppress, so sending a team into melee range is possible even if they are a range squad. Watch out for mass focus fire and your devastator teams being tied up in melee.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DocHaus
    @Seedofpower: Umm...I don't know what topic you are replying to, but Devastator Marines are not meant to break any kind of turtling at all. Not to mention that if your opponent has ASM or equivalent then your Devestators are gonna be exposed for all to see. And while IG turrets may not suppress, you still shouldn't charge them as they can whittle down weaker squads, especially if there are guardsmen waiting nearby.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seedofpower
    @DocHaus: Thats why I said use 2 of them. Suppression teams take control of the field and every race has one. Imperial guard don't have ASM equivalent.
    mercanis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By mercanis

I'm an Eldar player. I'm thinking WSE can jump in and engage suppression teams in melee and then rush in either guardian grenades or banshees. Either way, my units are frail and there isn't much room for error.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DocHaus
    @Seedofpower: No, but Sentinel stomp can do the job just as well for the IG. Stomp the Devestator marines, get another unit in close before the stun duration is over, send them running.
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By The_Drizzle

Stickybombaz are a good counter as far as Ork's are concerned. CM heretics can be upgraded with nade launcers, but overall i've found it very tough to counter a good IG player. Manticore artillery strikes plus those drop down tank looking stand alone turrets and turrets make it hard as shit to penetrate well turtled vic points

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seedofpower
    @DocHaus:  That is why I said 2 (two). The sentential is so light is gets destroyed for being anywhere near a suppression squad. Go ahead and try it. Going up against IG will be much easier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.