Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

Ten years after the events of Chaos Rising, sub-sector Aurelia is still engulfed in all out war. In this third installment of Dawn of War II, you decide the victor!

First Day Impressions

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I love, love, love me some DOW2.  And after spending most of the day with the single player campaign in retribution, I kinda just want to go back and play the old stuff and forget this exists.  It doesn't play anything like the original/Chaos Rising.  It's like they took the single player aspects and tried to mash in the multi-player unit requisition mechanics.  Actually it's not that it's like that, it's exactly that.  And it's just not good.  Hope springs eternal, and I'm gonna keep going with it but it just really feels less like a new expansion and more like an experimental mod that doesn't really work.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By borodin
    @HeroicDrinkingSong: That's kind a relief and also a bummer to hear :( I cancelled my preorder principally because I realised there were other games coming out I wanted more but also because I began thinking with the campaign being playable as all the races, it just couldn't have had the same depth as DoW 2 or Chaos Rising. Could you tell me a little more about the structure of the campaign? 
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah, IGN's review said that the SP wasn't as good as the previous... but what can Relic do? No-one can make good SP for 6 races. I'm buying it only for the multiplayer( steam and new match-making sys) but I'll finish the SP with all races...

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Maluvin

I started up an Imperial Guard single player game and I like it so far.  It's a bit different than DoW2 and Chaos Rising but definitely likable IMHO.   

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Von

The two hours I got to play before Steam revoked the game again... *grumble* ...was pure fun. Different, yes, but not bad. I bought it only for the SP campaign and I'm not disappointed at the changes. Can't wait to try out the other races later on.

Avatar image for heroicdrinkingsong
    HeroicDrinkingSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

My disappointment stems from the attempts to merge the multiplayer components of unit requisition into the SP campaign.  (Which is, to be honest the only part I'm really interested in)  I'm not against change, but this feels halfbaked.  The core concept of the original and CR was the use of small squads and there sergeants.  You never had more than four squads on the field and they all played a very distinct role.  That's mostly either gone or minimized in what seems like an attempt to make it play a little bit more like a standard base building style RTS, in a game that really wasn't built to do that. 

@borodin: The structure mostly remains unchanged as you'll still find yourself spending skill points and equipping gear, then choosing a mission, etc, etc.  The leveling systems a little different and while I don't love it I don't actively dislike it either.  All in all the structure remains basically the same, I just think the actual gameplay has been altered to the games detriment.  And since they went from GFW to Steam there's no importing of save files.  So instead of playing as your force commander on the BA's campaign you play as Diomadies from the end of CR.  The sergeants show up here and there but their back to being starter level so you have to buy their powers all over again.  It's not the end of the world it's just kinda jarring and inelegant.   

@phrosnite: No matter how hard or how often I try I just can't wrap my head around the multiplayer.  I get owned every damn time.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

Multiplayer is better than ever, that's all I care about. Single player's okay too, for what it's worth, playing it through on Very Hard and it's somewhat of a breeze. 

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By neoepoch
    @Geno: ...You wanna play some MP?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Geno
    @neoepoch said:
    " @Geno: ...You wanna play some MP? "
    Sure, not right at this moment though. I'll PM you my Steam ID. 
    Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maluvin

My IG campaign was using the bonus items I received with preorder on normal and it was super easy to complete.  I'll have to see if that hold true for the other campaigns. 

To a certain degree I wonder if the easy difficulty was intentional to give people an easy way to familiarize themselves with the various factions for multiplayer.   

In any case I like it.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I'm really not feeling the SP the same way I did with the previous two games. The story is pretty loose, you don't have much attachment to the characters even though 2 of them are from the previous game, I played the Space Marine campaign first. There isn't really much tactics in SP anymore, before you had to conserve your tactical items but now they are all energy so you can just wait 30 seconds and use it again. Towards the end of the campaign I just found myself walking this big ball of death around the map steamrollering it all. I played on hard and didn't even come close to dying in any mission.  

I played a bit of MP and Last Stand but not enough for it to make up for the lack of SP.  Maybe I just had too high hopes after the first two games...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.