Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

Ten years after the events of Chaos Rising, sub-sector Aurelia is still engulfed in all out war. In this third installment of Dawn of War II, you decide the victor!

I can't believe it... I actually went and bought a PC Game again!

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By smokemare

What did I buy ?  Dawn of War 2: Retirbution. 

Well I've been playing XBOX 360 games pretty exclusively for a couple of years now - ever since my PS2 got shoved on the back burner.  I think the last game I played alot on the PC was Battlfield Middle Earth.  The thing is that is one genre that I don't think ever translated to control pad very well - yet I used to be a big player of RTS.  Before my RTS days I used to play Warhammer 40,000 a lot on the table top.  A friend of mine has been commenting about getting back into modelling and painting armies and playing again on Facebook recently.  It brought back fond memories... 

So first of all I start looking into what the current rules set is like - and... Ahem - things have changed somewhat. My old armies conisted of a seriously flawed Tyrannid Swarm which I did start to rectify as I was playing the last time I was playing (It had only Tyrannid Warriors, Genesteales, a Lictor a Carnifex and Hive Tyrant in it - The lack of cannon fodder to protect the powerful troops meant it was a bad army.)  The thing is I wasn't a great army builder - the thing is my selections tended to be based largely on what I could actually motivate myself to sit down, model and paint.  After a long discussion with a veteran army builder who owned all the Codex I switched to Space Wolves and we devised a high point/low model count army that might be playable.  I even finished painting the army!  It was Logan Grimnar in Terminator armour with 5 Wolfguards in Terminator armour - all with a powershield and three of them with assault cannons... Then Bjorn the Fell Handed.  Apparently that's no longer a legel army! To top it all after scrambling around in the loft for an hour I couldn't even find te bleeding models anyhow... 

So what next? 

I look at all the current Codex and think about who I could play - Space Wolves seem still a bit meh!  Eldar not my cup of tea, problems with the Tyrannids are as before, so what Dark Eldar?  Imperial Guard? Then there's the thought of sitting there for hours on end trimming, glueing painting... It's kinda fun to do a few, but when you need to do 40 models most of which are identical it can become irritating... 

I read the reviews for the various Warhammer games and Retribution really caught my eye.  It sounded like an online version of the tabeltop war game... 

So I downloaded it and had a crack...  

So what is it like?  Well it's good, very good... The controls are familiar to any RTS player, the models are beautifully rendered, there's a good selection of armies each with their own campaign and cut scenes.  The available armies are varied, you can choose Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tyrannids, Eldar or Orks - so something for every taste... I found it a little easy on the first few stages, I'm playing on Normal so maybe it's my decades of RTS playing paying off - I cold try a harder setting, but the levels are well designed in the campaign and interesting... I've yet to try Multiplayer - I suspect that will be the strong point of Retribution. 

The thing is though - despite it seeming like a great game, I find it somehow... I don't know 'soul-less' ?  It's almost undefinable, it's a great RTS, but it doesn't give you warm fuzzy feeling you get deep inside, that you get when you've superglued your fingers together, ruined the dining room table with paint and spent an entire Saturday arguing about the minutae of the rules... Or almost having a punch up because some dude basically fields an army and as his tanks are blown up the troops you'd already killed get brought onto the field as reinforcements....  

The table top game is great, but it's a lot of frustration, I imagine a lot of this is seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses.  I think I'll play through DoW 2 Retribution and leave my paints and glues in the loft.  Rose tinted memories are sometimes best left as that. 

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By smokemare

What did I buy ?  Dawn of War 2: Retirbution. 

Well I've been playing XBOX 360 games pretty exclusively for a couple of years now - ever since my PS2 got shoved on the back burner.  I think the last game I played alot on the PC was Battlfield Middle Earth.  The thing is that is one genre that I don't think ever translated to control pad very well - yet I used to be a big player of RTS.  Before my RTS days I used to play Warhammer 40,000 a lot on the table top.  A friend of mine has been commenting about getting back into modelling and painting armies and playing again on Facebook recently.  It brought back fond memories... 

So first of all I start looking into what the current rules set is like - and... Ahem - things have changed somewhat. My old armies conisted of a seriously flawed Tyrannid Swarm which I did start to rectify as I was playing the last time I was playing (It had only Tyrannid Warriors, Genesteales, a Lictor a Carnifex and Hive Tyrant in it - The lack of cannon fodder to protect the powerful troops meant it was a bad army.)  The thing is I wasn't a great army builder - the thing is my selections tended to be based largely on what I could actually motivate myself to sit down, model and paint.  After a long discussion with a veteran army builder who owned all the Codex I switched to Space Wolves and we devised a high point/low model count army that might be playable.  I even finished painting the army!  It was Logan Grimnar in Terminator armour with 5 Wolfguards in Terminator armour - all with a powershield and three of them with assault cannons... Then Bjorn the Fell Handed.  Apparently that's no longer a legel army! To top it all after scrambling around in the loft for an hour I couldn't even find te bleeding models anyhow... 

So what next? 

I look at all the current Codex and think about who I could play - Space Wolves seem still a bit meh!  Eldar not my cup of tea, problems with the Tyrannids are as before, so what Dark Eldar?  Imperial Guard? Then there's the thought of sitting there for hours on end trimming, glueing painting... It's kinda fun to do a few, but when you need to do 40 models most of which are identical it can become irritating... 

I read the reviews for the various Warhammer games and Retribution really caught my eye.  It sounded like an online version of the tabeltop war game... 

So I downloaded it and had a crack...  

So what is it like?  Well it's good, very good... The controls are familiar to any RTS player, the models are beautifully rendered, there's a good selection of armies each with their own campaign and cut scenes.  The available armies are varied, you can choose Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tyrannids, Eldar or Orks - so something for every taste... I found it a little easy on the first few stages, I'm playing on Normal so maybe it's my decades of RTS playing paying off - I cold try a harder setting, but the levels are well designed in the campaign and interesting... I've yet to try Multiplayer - I suspect that will be the strong point of Retribution. 

The thing is though - despite it seeming like a great game, I find it somehow... I don't know 'soul-less' ?  It's almost undefinable, it's a great RTS, but it doesn't give you warm fuzzy feeling you get deep inside, that you get when you've superglued your fingers together, ruined the dining room table with paint and spent an entire Saturday arguing about the minutae of the rules... Or almost having a punch up because some dude basically fields an army and as his tanks are blown up the troops you'd already killed get brought onto the field as reinforcements....  

The table top game is great, but it's a lot of frustration, I imagine a lot of this is seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses.  I think I'll play through DoW 2 Retribution and leave my paints and glues in the loft.  Rose tinted memories are sometimes best left as that. 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I remember wanting to have Space Marines but getting swindled into buying a bunch of Eldar off of an acquaintence and getting stuck with those. Nothing wrong with Eldar, and I grew to appreciate them, but I'm pretty sure most of the time I played that game I was playing it wrong, and the kind of money I would have needed to shell out for a proper army would have made me rethink that hobby a lot sooner.  

By in large, tabletop gaming was best for me when it was with friends I could argue with in the middle of the night and, you know, beat handily. We played Napoleonics and American Civil War most of the time, but I wound up having more fun with borrowed stuff than I did with my own.  I'm not sure I'd be able to tolerate it as much now, as I'd probably spend most of my time trying to tinker with the rules to make it more streamlined.

I wound up being much more into White Dwarf's spaceship battle game Space Fleet before it became Battlefleet Gothic. I really liked their simultaneous movement system.

I've not played the new 40K games but I liked the idea that it was based on personalities and small squads. I guess I always wanted that game to be more about individual troopers rather than large armies.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By smokemare
    @ahoodedfigure:  I think Warhammer 40K is a fickle game, and the armies have to be played right, some are more versatile than others and probably some are weaker than others.  I went with Tyrannids because they sounded cool and looked easy to paint.  But you can't ally with anyone, and they have a limited number of stratgies available to them.

There's probably actually more fun in playing Retribution, but buying and painting the models you like and sticking them on the shelf.  Really as a Tyrranid army you want probable three squads of termagaunts, low point cost fast infantry - to run in front of yuor genestealers and warriors drawing fire, so you can get into melee... But that means painting 60 fiddly little, identical critters... Which would take me several weeks at my slow rate of painting.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @smokemare:  I had a friend who was better at painting than I could be, so I probably would have just commissioned him and he would have been happy to do it. But most of the minis I had were already painted by the guys who owned them before, and what few I got new I just gave a white base coat and called it good. They gain a lot of life when they're painted, though, and some value beyond just being pieces for a game.

If I was to start collecting now I'd probably go with the Tau...  cuz they look cool. Or maybe the Imperial Guard, just because I like the idea of normal people holding their own against all these crazy monsters.

What actually bugged me was the ruleset, how they seemed to push out old models a bit too often in favor of the new models they were pushing. I know that's where there revenue is but it felt a bit too constricted, especially when I had role-playing games that encouraged experimentation and modding, while the GW stuff I was reading had a tone of absolute inflexibility.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

I have a ton of awesome Ork models that I made but never painted. I hate painting so god damned much...But I love modeling...argh!

48 grots! I painted 48 Grots! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Closing in on an Apocalypse sized Space Wolves army myself, but still needs to paint the goddamn majority. Wolf Lord's name is Lulz Dreadpuncher due to his heroics in the field, by punching a chaos dreadnought to death with a single blow, with his power fist.

Man, I wish I knew more people who played.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By DocHaus

I got into Warhammer 40K because of the first DoW series of games. I thought about entering the tabletop game with a Tau army, but seeing the amount of money I'd have to shell out (let alone the time to assemble and paint the damn things) for the hobby made me shelve that idea. Still, welcome to the Retribution scene.

And yes, the multiplayer has been given a bit more focus in Retribution than the storyline, but for what they do have it is interesting.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By melcene

Re: buying PC games vs. console games... I just realized something today.  I had stopped by Gamestop on my lunch break just to browse.  I went to their new fandangled kiosk thing where you can look at games.  There is NO section for PC games on there when you go to Hot Titles or Browse.  WTF.  No wonder "pc gaming is dying."* 

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By DocHaus
    @melcene: With the ease of online distribution and the DRM issue there are very few computer games sold in the past few years that can be resold on the secondhand market and still be playable, meaning Gamestop would not get the profit margins it's used to getting from PC games. That's why they've been quietly shoving them off the shelves.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By melcene
    @DocHaus: I know.  It's terribly disappointing though.  I still like my physical copies.  Also, I couldn't even find a copy of Guild Wars, now that I finally decided maybe I'll buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.