Official Beginners Thread - Have a question? Post it here.

#1 Edited by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

Just as the title says, if you have a question post it here. 

I'll start, just got done a 1v1 vs SM and he put flamers on everything he could and it really fucked me up. So my question is what is the best way to deal with Flamer's as Tryanids, I tried the Tyrant Guard and it seemed to work fairly well but other than that im not too sure, I am guessing  Termagants with crippling poison would also work well. 

Also, for any Tryanids having trouble with Imperial Guard, try using spore mines to suppress them. 

DocHaus has a guide on giantbomb for DoW2 it is currently in progress but check it out.
http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/glory-to-the-first-man-to-die-a-basic-faq/2034/

#2 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -

Termagants. Lots and lots of Termagants. 

Any Chaos players figured out where to slot the Noise marines into their build orders?
#3 Edited by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

For all beginners to DoW2 I'd also like to mention that I have a guide here on GB that is currently in progress.

@MuttersomeTaxicab: 
Far as I can figure, open with one CSM squad, build your gens, and keep your mans alive until you get enough power to buy some noise marines. Don't remember how it is with other heroes, but with Chaos Lord you can mostly ignore his T1 equipment.

@Jeffsekai:
Tyrant Guard armor should be able to withstand flamers. I'd also suggest building Warriors with Barbed Strangler to suppress the SM, but I don't use the 'nids that often so YMMV.

#4 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus: Ah thanks, yea I'm not 100% sure how suppression works in DoW I used to play the Warhammer table top so I kinda know how it works there but yea. If they are suppressed will they not fire their flamers? 

Also whats the deal with Army level? I got to level 3 today and after I did it unlocked some armor for the Hormagaunts, is this a passive buff or just a cosmetic thing?
#5 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: 
If you mean reaching level 3 for your multiplayer army, it's just a cosmetic change. Makes 'em look cool, but that's about it. I hear Level 45 SM players can get scouts with capes. Army level is mostly just an e-peen rating to show how much time you spent playing as X Race online.

And re: suppression I'm not 100% sure but I do know that if they aren't already firing their flamers when you suppress them they won't fire them at all. Then get a melee unit to rip 'em to shreds. Also, barbed strangler has a small AoE so if he blobs his infantry it will hit them too.
#6 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

great now i have to get back into this game. thanks a lot.

#7 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (668 posts) -
@DocHaus said:
"For all beginners to DoW2 I'd also like to mention that I have a guide here on GB that is currently in progress.

@MuttersomeTaxicab: 
Far as I can figure, open with one CSM squad, build your gens, and keep your mans alive until you get enough power to buy some noise marines. Don't remember how it is with other heroes, but with Chaos Lord you can mostly ignore his T1 equipment.

@Jeffsekai: Tyrant Guard armor should be able to withstand flamers. I'd also suggest building Warriors with Barbed Strangler to suppress the SM, but I don't use the 'nids that often so YMMV. "

Yeah, considering the cost, I'd figured Noise Marines might be an early sub-in for Havoc Marines, but without the long-range suppression I rely on so deeply, I've shied away from it. 

Then again, I guess nadetics would help with that.

#8 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus said:
" @Jeffsekai:  If you mean reaching level 3 for your multiplayer army, it's just a cosmetic change. Makes 'em look cool, but that's about it. I hear Level 45 SM players can get scouts with capes. Army level is mostly just an e-peen rating to show how much time you spent playing as X Race online. And re: suppression I'm not 100% sure but I do know that if they aren't already firing their flamers when you suppress them they won't fire them at all. Then get a melee unit to rip 'em to shreds. Also, barbed strangler has a small AoE so if he blobs his infantry it will hit them too. "
I can confirm that suppression stops them from firing the flamer. 

I having a lot of trouble with the duel sent build from IG, when they actually kite me around instead of letting me just kill them they are almost impossible to kill it seems.
#9 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@MuttersomeTaxicab: 
Look on the bright side: Noise marines by their nature can stop shooters from firing, and at T2 can be converted into makeshift plasma marines.

@Jeffsekai:
When facing sents just grab more shooting units than melee and don't let them kite you...there's not much more advice I can offer on that front regarding ways to fight them in T1.
#10 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -
@MuttersomeTaxicab said:
" @DocHaus said:
"For all beginners to DoW2 I'd also like to mention that I have a guide here on GB that is currently in progress.

@MuttersomeTaxicab: 

@Jeffsekai: Tyrant Guard armor should be able to withstand flamers. I'd also suggest building Warriors with Barbed Strangler to suppress the SM, but I don't use the 'nids that often so YMMV. "
 Yeah, considering the cost, I'd figured Noise Marines might be an early sub-in for Havoc Marines, but without the long-range suppression I rely on so deeply, I've shied away from it.  Then again, I guess nadetics would help with that.  "
Most CSM peeps i play with always get NM in the transition of t1 and t2. Honestly i don't see how you could go without them especially against shooter happy races (Eldar & IG) they can really make a difference
#11 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus said:

@Jeffsekai: When facing sents just grab more shooting units than melee and don't let them kite you...there's not much more advice I can offer on that front regarding ways to fight them in T1. "
Hmm, I will try that then but when I used termagant squads it seems like they were not doing much/any dmg =\
#12 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  I know...but there's no surefire counter that I can think of. It sucks, get used to it for now (until/unless there's a random patch).
#13 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus said:
" @Jeffsekai:  I know...but there's no surefire counter that I can think of. It sucks, get used to it for now (until/unless there's a random patch). "
haha alright, I never kept up with DoW2 patches after the first few, how often/how much do they change things?
#14 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: 
Used to be once every several months, but with the move to Steamworks it might be once every other week...we'll just have to wait and see how often they tweak their balance now that they have the ability to do so as often as they feel like.
#15 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" great now i have to get back into this game. thanks a lot. "
Remember 3 generators isn't always necessary from the start.
#16 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@Seedofpower: haha I'm usually alright at strategy games i could just never get in the swing of things with DOW if we are talking company of heroes though watch out.
#17 Posted by Fallen189 (4989 posts) -

How similar is this game compared to the first, in regards to the single player campaign? They were the strongest parts for the first 2 parts, and I heard they're a lot different now?

#18 Edited by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Fallen189: 
You can play the campaign as any race, but the tradeoff is that the levels are awfully similar to each other and the RPG elements are slimmed down a bit from the previous installments, as there's a lvl 10 cap, but still there. I finished the Ork campaign and now I'm working on the IG campaign (both on normal atm, might go for very hard later). This time, I think they're trying to shift focus towards the multiplayer, as you can acquire most of the units that you would be able to get in multiplayer and use them in the campaign, and the wargear drops seem a lot less frequent than before (except for one level that involved storming an IG weapons depot). There's no Corruption mechanic like there was in CR, but at the end of each level you get to choose between getting some good wargear for one of your four heroes or adding another unit type/buff to the field for your next mission.
#19 Posted by DeathInstinct (26 posts) -

Been playing local multiplayer comp stomp with family and army level has not been increasing.  Does this only raise in ranked modes?  

#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DeathInstinct said:
" Been playing local multiplayer comp stomp with family and army level has not been increasing.  Does this only raise in ranked modes?   "
It only rises in Ranked modes and Custom games online.
#21 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@DeathInstinct: 
Comp stomp is awful and will not prepare you for online MP. Do not play it unless you are trying to familiarize yourself with a race's units.
#22 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@DocHaus said:
" @DeathInstinct:  Comp stomp is awful and will not prepare you for online MP. Do not play it unless you are trying to familiarize yourself with a race's units. "
AI is terrible overall, but it ninja caps better than any top player I've seen. 
#23 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

Played a game this morning was nids vs SM I was the nids. And basically he has a devstator squad with a turret parked behind it so it made it almost impossible to engage. Then he got a venerable dreadnaught drop and he litterally just walked into my base and camped me till I was way too far behind.  

so. 

1. What should I do vs a dug in deep SM right out front of my 3 power gen power node (meaning I can't just leave it alone) 
2. Once they get dreadnaughts what can I do to stop it 

Basically I think I need a better idea of how nids are supposed to me played, I just seem to get overwhelmed at some point even tho I seem to have more map control than them...they just seem to get the right unit mixture at some point and crush me.

#24 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: 
1) I don't have the best idea, considering I don't play as nids that often. but there aren't a lot of options. Best I can say is use your heroes ability if you're still in T1: Ravener can burrow and tunnel under to get behind the turret, Lictor can infiltrate and use fleshhooks to snag the marine with the heavy bolter, and Tyrant cannot be suppressed.  Use one of these guys and then follow up with the rest of your units. If you're in T2, bring out a tyrant guard and have him help out your hero.

2) If you don't have a carnifex, try having a zoanthrope shoot at it (focused warp blast I think?) while something else ties the dreadnaught up in melee (tyrant guard?). If it's raping your base at T2 and you don't have anything to stop it, then...pray to the Emperor.
#25 Posted by KoolAid (917 posts) -

My question?   Why play this when you can play the tabletop game?

Oh right.... Because that costs hundreds of dollars...

#26 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

So IG appear to be the strongest faction right now. 

- Guardsmen are practically free to reinforce (almost as cheap as ripper swarms in vanilla beta...until they were taken out of base production due to being too imba). They have excellent damage as well, and outshoot any other basic T1 ranged infantry (guardians, scouts etc.) Their upgrades also keep them useful throughout the game. 
- For less than the cost of a single squad, you can build a multi-laser turret at the very beginning of the game in an area that is nearly impossible to flank. Instant, cheap map control.   
- Catachans counter everything (Banshees and AG Warriors used to do this too in vanilla beta - they were nerfed heavily) 
- Commissar Lord is basically T1 Autarch in speed and power. In T2 his upgrades give him the best offense and defense in the game. Also, Threaten one-shots any non-commander unit - that includes expensive ones like Zoanthropes.
- Ogryns are T2 Nobs. 
- Inquisitor's vehicle calldown = instant gen destruction  
- Flare counters any ranged army. 
- Strongest nuke in the game.  

So overall you have an extremely powerful, cost-effective army. You barely even have to build gens to win, and you don't have to spend much req either because guardsmen are so cheap to reinforce. 

I play at ~Top 30-20 level with Eldar, I imagine I could probably break Top 10 if I master IG. 

#27 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

Huh, and here I was going to ask if there were any tips for dealing with the sheer amount of IG guardsmen that pop up in T1 during 1v1 matchups. I guess the answer is "wait for a patch to nerf them"?

#28 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus said:
" Huh, and here I was going to ask if there were any tips for dealing with the sheer amount of IG guardsmen that pop up in T1 during 1v1 matchups. I guess the answer is "wait for a patch to nerf them"? "
What race do you play?
#29 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  Lately Chaos has been my main with Orks as my #2. Problem with orks is that guardsmen kite my melee guys and have longer range than my T1 shooters. I tried setting up suppression teams, but then they bring the Catachans and blow them out of position with grenades. Granted I don't play a lot of 1v1 in this game but it's tough to deal with the sheer (economic) cheapness of guardsmen while it costs me 400 to build a new CSM squad and even more just for one group of noise marines.

On the orks side, in theory I could have a few groups of sluggas with one warboss, have em all WAAAAGH! together, and charge the enemy lines to force them into melee, but few people are that stupid enough to let it happen. Not to mention sluggas are also more expensive to purchase than guardsmen (both individually and as a unit). And this is assuming they haven't spent money on turrets to add to their combined firepower.
#30 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -
@DocHaus: As Chaos I would say get a noise marine squad, and put a grenade launcher on your heretic squad. Have another squad worship to khorn (I think thats chaos lord) so everything is fast annnd yea pure guardsmen will have to fall back every time. 

With orcs try using Now im Angry on the ork warboss as it speeds him up and add that aoe knockback.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.