Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

Ten years after the events of Chaos Rising, sub-sector Aurelia is still engulfed in all out war. In this third installment of Dawn of War II, you decide the victor!

Playing this as my first DoW game. Advisable?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So this game has me curious but I know nothing at all about the Warhammer universe or the Dawn of War storyline so can I just jump into this and understand what's going on?   

I'll try to read som Wiki stuff but what's the most important things to know?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

Go to the Lexicanum wiki and read the basic lore of all the races at least. Also go Ork, their dialog is awesome.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @Aronman789 said:
    " Go to the Lexicanum wiki and read the basic lore of all the races at least. Also go Ork, their dialog is awesome. "
    I thought I'd go Imperial Guard first, also what others stuff is important to know? What's the short version of the story?
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aronman789
    @Venatio:  You want a summary? Well the Leader of the Blood Raven chapter of space marines is corrupted and dealing with demons, and so an Inquisitor (space detective dude) goes into the sector he's in to find proof of it before the Imperium of Man sends ships to destroy everything, and the other races get caught up in it in their own ways.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By DocHaus
    @Venatio: 
    If you're literally just starting out in DoW2, I'd suggest playing as the Space Marines first. Not only are they the strongest units overall, but their expensiveness will teach you the value of keeping your units' health in mind. Once you have them down, feel free to switch to another race and start playing around with the shitty AI until you find one that suits you. Also, I've got a guide in progress here on GB for DoW2:R if you want to check it out.

As for the lore, I can give you the short version:

In DoW2, the Blood Ravens recruiting worlds are under attack from a Tyrannid invasion along with the Orks who hate everything and the Eldar who are mostly just being dicks for some reason I can't remember. After a long campaign they manage to develop a poison and shoot it into the Hive Fleet after destroying the Hive Tyrant, halting the Tyrannid invasion. Then in Chaos Rising, you discover that Eliphas (from DoW1 Dark Crusade if you care) was brought back to life through an almost literal deus ex machina, and the forces of Chaos have decided to creep across your world and corrupt or kill everything in your path. On top of that, you know that there is a traitor somewhere in your group (canonically, it is your Force Commander, but in the game it depends who has the most corruption near the end). You just barely manage to hold the Chaos invasion back and slaughter Ulkair, the avatar of the Chaos plague god Nurgle in a battle that takes a whole fucking hour and a lot of cheesing to beat (one thing I'm glad they didn't bring back).

Now in Retribution, the Imperium has decided that the Blood Ravens just aren't worth it anymore, and now they are going to launch an exterminatus that will wipe out every living thing in the sector. However, Blood Ravens Captain Gabriel Angelos has asked Inquisitor Adrastia to investigate Kyras, the Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens and root out his corruption in order to stop the Imperium before they arrive and turn every planet in the sub-sector into a sheet of glass.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venatio
    @DocHaus said:
    " @Venatio:  If you're literally just starting out in DoW2, I'd suggest playing as the Space Marines first. Not only are they the strongest units overall, but their expensiveness will teach you the value of keeping your units' health in mind. Once you have them down, feel free to switch to another race and start playing around with the shitty AI until you find one that suits you. Also, I've got a guide in progress here on GB for DoW2:R if you want to check it out. As for the lore, I can give you the short version:  In DoW2, the Blood Ravens recruiting worlds are under attack from a Tyrannid invasion along with the Orks who hate everything and the Eldar who are mostly just being dicks for some reason I can't remember. After a long campaign they manage to develop a poison and shoot it into the Hive Fleet after destroying the Hive Tyrant, halting the Tyrannid invasion. Then in Chaos Rising, you discover that Eliphas (from DoW1 Dark Crusade if you care) was brought back to life through an almost literal deus ex machina, and the forces of Chaos have decided to creep across your world and corrupt or kill everything in your path. On top of that, you know that there is a traitor somewhere in your group (canonically, it is your Force Commander, but in the game it depends who has the most corruption near the end). You just barely manage to hold the Chaos invasion back and slaughter Ulkair, the avatar of the Chaos plague god Nurgle in a battle that takes a whole fucking hour and a lot of cheesing to beat (one thing I'm glad they didn't bring back).  Now in Retribution, the Imperium has decided that the Blood Ravens just aren't worth it anymore, and now they are going to launch an exterminatus that will wipe out every living thing in the sector. However, Blood Ravens Captain Gabriel Angelos has asked Inquisitor Adrastia to investigate Kyras, the Chapter Master of the Blood Ravens and root out his corruption in order to stop the Imperium before they arrive and turn every planet in the sub-sector into a sheet of glass. "
    Thanks for the tips and the summary, it helps, is there anything more worthy of knowing about the story?
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Venatio:  Listen If you want to know anything about the universe and all the references they make, read the books. The best two would probably be Horus Hersey series and Eisenhorn. I was kinda like this when I first started playing Dawn of War 2. I was curious about who the hell the Emperor was and why they do all the crazy crap. Started reading the wikis and then got into the books. I'm on my 15th book and I show no signs of slowing down. Those 2 series best describe the universe, while other books mainly just describe one particular faction or space marine chapter or major event in the timeline.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Venatio: The first two games are really good and I think you should check them out.  I might get flamed for this, but I think the DOW2 stories are better paced and better in quality than the ones in SC2.  More action, more loot, hero units, and lack of resources and whatnot.  If you can pick up the Gold Edition at Best Buy or something for 10-20 bucks, I think you should do it.  The Serial Keys are linked to Steam too so you get it on your account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.