Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

The sequel to Relic's critically-acclaimed Dawn of War does away with economizing and base building in favor of a more involved combat system with RPG elements.

Dawn of War II WILL Require Steam

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
    Alright, so given that I work at a gaming center, I get to hear about a couple of things here and there that some might not.  A week or two ago, there was a big hullabaloo over GameStop dropping their Dawn of War II pre-orders off their site, with the rumored reason being that Dawn of War II was going to force people to install Steam.
    Where I work, we wanted to find out if the game WOULD be forcing people to install Steam in order to use it.  The official word we got from iGames is this:

Yes...as far as we can tell.  Dawn of War II will force users to install Steam, but you do NOT have to use Steam for anything more than DRM essentially.  While this may not be too big of a problem for some of you out there, this could prove to be a crazy hassle for us...as we do not feature any games at the center that use Steam.  The main reason is because of the way we have games setup.  All that is internal stuff that I can't go into details about.

Nonetheless, yes, Dawn of War II requires Steam installation to validate your retail key.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for y'all to know...

Source:

No Caption Provided
    When it talks about Steam only costing money, that has to do with internet cafe and gaming center licensing fees.  Also, this image has been cropped from my own e-mail inbox in order to keep any names and vital information anonymous.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

Seeing as I get everything I can on steam whenever possible, definitely not a problem for me. Already have it pre-purchased on it.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By breton

So it's using Steam for DRM, and then GWFL for matchmaking etc.? That's going to go down well.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By ZombiePie

Hmmm, I really don't know how I feel about this, so I guess I'll have to wait until the game is released to see if there are any problems. I'm still looking forward to the game, it so far looks great and I loved the last Dawn of War game.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Babble
    jakob187 said:
    "Babble said:
    "Where are you getting that image?"
    Did you READ my post?"
    Did you read my edit?

In any case interesting to see Steam used for a DRM type application.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Steam has done DRM for a ton of things, I don't really even think of it as DRM though. Its nothing like the DRM that people complain about that EA does on their games. Not anything to worry about at all.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sushbag

You know what else it requires? Using Microsoft's garbage games for windows bullshit. Too bad, because I like Relic, but I'm not rewarding that decision with my dollars.

BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By BrockSampson

Whats wrong with Games for Windows?

Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Grim_Fandango

Nothing at all, just sign up for a free account, doesn't really matter does it?

However, I would like to say that it doesn't work for me, the update system is broken on my end.

SunBurntYeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SunBurntYeti

No big deal, if your PC can play games and it doesn't have steam... you're doing it wrong.

Aronto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aronto

I like how Dawn of War 2 is using steam as a DRM and not something like SecurROM which is bad. Really bad, and anyways Steam is awesome.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm not quite sure how that's going to work, because I don't deal with Cafe support. I hope it's not too painful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.