Difference between standard Dawn of War 2 and the gold edition?

#1 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

What is the difference between the standard version of dawn of war 2 and the gold edition?

#2 Posted by delorean99947 (225 posts) -

@redbliss: Gold edition comes with the Chaos Rising expansion.

#3 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -

@delorean99947: Thank you

#4 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Just bought the whole pack on the steam sale. I seem to remember they are stand-alone, is that correct? Which one should I start with?

#5 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@jozzy: You can import your characters from DoW II into Chaos Rising, so I'd say play the regular campaign first.

#6 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@mscupcakes said:

@jozzy: You can import your characters from DoW II into Chaos Rising, so I'd say play the regular campaign first.

Ok, thanks! Will try the regular game first. Always wanted to try these games, but never pulled the plug.

#7 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -

@mscupcakes: Are the DoW 2 expansions worth buying? I have not played DoW 2, but I think I would like it. I dont really want to miss the sale on those expansions.

#8 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

@redbliss: I bought the Gold Edition a while ago and I haven't regretted it! If it's on sale then I'd say definitely go for it. I might actually pick up the Retribution pack later :D

#9 Posted by L1GHTN1N (426 posts) -

@redbliss: Chaos Rising is basically more of Dawn of War 2 with a few minor twists, it includes the Chaos faction for multiplayer and a new campaign that's about the length of the original Dawn of War 2. Retribution doesn't have much story to it's campaigns, and is a little more RTS-like. Instead of just controlling the 3-4 units you do in the other DoW2 games you control a commander and other lesser units, I think you reinforce throughout the mission. Each faction has a full campaign so you can play as your preferred however they play fairly similarly. It wasn't my cup of tea but you might enjoy it. The best thing about Retribution for me was the new stuff for the The Last Stand which is its Horde-mode that's a blast.

If you have the money they are all worth getting, otherwise I think you'd be fine skipping Retribution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.