Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

The sequel to Relic's critically-acclaimed Dawn of War does away with economizing and base building in favor of a more involved combat system with RPG elements.

GameStop Playing Hardball Over Retail Steam Installs?

• 69 results
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#51  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By mathewballard

Honestly, knowing how the company works (since I worked there for a time), it wouldn't surprise me that they would do something like that.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#53  Edited By citizenkane
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#54  Edited By LordAndrew
    Wintermute said:
    "I noticed on the Gamestop website that the original Dawn of War and it's expansions are available for download. Mabye all this stems from THQ not allowing Gamestop to digitally distribute as well."
    Hm. Could be. I didn't know GameStop was offering Dawn of War for download. This could indeed be some sort of retaliation for THQ not letting them offer DoW II for download.
    Pretty stupid regardless.
    crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By crusnchill

I live in the UK, so I don't have to deal with them and had blissfully before never heard anything of Gamestop before 1 year ago, And you know what the funny thing is?
    Since that time, I've heard tonnes of stuff about that store and it has ALL been bad! lol.

They sound like a store over here in the UK that's called GAME (yeah the letter's ARE in upper case on the store entrance too lol, self-obsessed is my opinion.)
    Anyway their employee's are in formal clothes (ALMOST SUIT ATTIRE) and the only thing they know about game's is the price of a product AFTER they've looked in their computer's. And when thing's have been released already, AGAIN!AFTER!!!! they've looked.

And then there's Gamestation. (Notice the normal first capital letter and the rest in lowercase, ie: not up their own arses.)
    Who were once the gamer's store of choice (Now UNFORTUNATELY owned FULLY by GAME. Yes I said !FULLY!.)  purposely employed gamer's to sell game's TO gamer's.
    Which meant we could just show up, kick back and just chat if those guys were'nt busy. They didn't even get uptight if you were there for half an hour chatting and left without buying a game. Aah, those were the day's... lol.

Now I like Steam quite a bit. I think they've found a fantastic niche in the market and established a good fan base of buyer's. The only gripe I have with Steam is that they'll sell the orange box for £16.99 but they'll willingly sell portal seperately for £13.99!!!!!! That bit dosn't seem fair but what the hey, I still like Steam.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Snail

What are you Americans complaining about? At least you HAVE GameStop!

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Hexpane

I stopped shopping at gamestop

PirateTravis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By PirateTravis

Look into this more every site that reported on it has not really followed up and I'm super curious. I discovered this the night before when I was looking to see if they had a good preorder bonus for it.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59  Edited By tec3297

Every PC game I have bought in that past year and a half has been on steam...well besides spore..lol

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By Oy
    Snake_Eyes_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Snake_Eyes_Ex

A resounding eff u to GameStop.

Anyone who shops at GameStop hates the videogame industry.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By Shakezula84

I work for GameStop and in our daily email it said simply we would stop reserving the title. No explanation.

Now despite what people say about us GameStop employees, I'm not an idiot. I have no doubt this all has to do with Steam. The beta is available exclusively threw Steam threw the purchase of Soulstorm (which has been discounted down to under 10 bucks, but THQ also loaded serial numbers into the Steam database, so if you bought Soulstorm at a GameStop, you can still particapate). The reason Orange Box and Left 4 Dead get a pass is simply Steam is Valve.

If thats the reason GameStop has ceased reservations (although its still in the computer, its just no longer reservable. All of you who preordered still get your copy) it makes sense. The last time I saw this happen was Warhawk. The game went up the night before on PSN. So our initial allotment of five for our three reserves is all we ever got of the $59.99 bundle. Then Gran Turismo showed up late in the day on PSN when it hit stores. I don't fully remember, but I think SOCOM didn't even hit the same day.

GameStop is trying to make money. By not letting a company sell their product in the 4,000 stores in the US hurts the game developer more then it hurts GameStop. GameStop doesn't make a lot of money on new games to start with so they don't care. The PC section is already so small.

I'm not defending it. I'm just explaining it. Your ultimate goal as a company is to make money. Ultimatly this move might make GameStop more money. Cause honestly, despite all of you guys complaining about how evil GameStop is and how you will never shop there, a lot of people do.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HitNRun

So a PC game isn't going to be available at Gamestop? What else is new?

Almost every Gamestop nowadays is a closet-sized display area for used games, Wii shovelware, and 360, Wii, and PS3 games whose developers rent shelf space. Sometimes, there are 6 PC games on a shelf behind the cashier. (4 of the 6 are WoW, WoW: Burning Crusade, WoW: WOTLK, and the last Star Wars game.)

Seriously, this is like Gamestop trying to hurt sales of Lindsor Truffles or Lever 2000 by banning them from store shelves. Any potential buyer who knows about the game will buy it; any potential buyer who doesn't know about the game would have never found out about it in a Gamestop anyway.

simonbuchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By simonbuchan

Gamestop probably shouldn't stock any Steam games.

I didn't bother returning after I got Steam with Portal.

GeekyDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By GeekyDad

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions. Hmm...news based on hearsay from an unnamed source. Yeah, sounds reliable to me. Run the story!

doubleofive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By doubleofive

If this is true, Gamestop is forcing people to use Steam by not carrying it to force THQ to not use Steam so Gamestop doesn't lose money?  That doesn't make any sense.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67  Edited By Geno

And Steam continues its slow "steam"roll into domination.

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By ColinD

Does anyone shop via Gamestop anyways? It's a moot point for me.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By piropeople13

I am glad they pulled it.  Mandatory install?  No thanks, that violates consumer rights.  I would not want to sell something that forced my users to install an application that was not technically needed but nonetheless required.  When you buy a retail game then you should just get the damn game, and not be forced to submit to restrictive, irremovable DRM or forced to interfaced through a crappy app.

But I do agree with everyone that there has been more than enough evidence that Gamestop doesn't give a shit about consumers rights, just their business.  Right pull, for all the wrong reasons.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Media_Master

whatever, games are sold elsewhere

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.