Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 19, 2009

The sequel to Relic's critically-acclaimed Dawn of War does away with economizing and base building in favor of a more involved combat system with RPG elements.

My semi-epic review of Dawn of War 2

evadwolrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By evadwolrab

Phew. Well this took far too long, but I finally got my review posted up.

The full thing's here if anyone wants it, but I'll pull out a couple of quotes.

At a time when most real-time strategy developers were enhancing their engines so that we can throw EVEN MORE (gasp!) enemies in one large cluster at the other team, Relic decided to scale down the numbers, ramp up the tactics and make a game that not only challenged players on a different level other than ‘He has 15 tanks. I must need 16 over there’, but one that could also afford tiny graphical and animation details that would just be wasted from a wider angle. What we were left with was characters that we felt more attached to, a sense that any skirmish can be won with the right tactics, and not a swarm tactic in sight.

Dave Barlow’s rating: 5/5. The game excels in all areas. It’s frantic, yet never overwhelming; accessible, but almost infinitely deep; lengthy, but in a rewarding, engaging way. More fun than Warcraft 3, more varied than Company of Heroes. In all honesty, Dawn of War II is the greatest real-time tactical game ever crafted. It almost received four stars, but apparently “I wish it was an MMO” isn’t a valid enough reason to dock points.
    Anyone got it yet? It goes without saying that I recommend it!
    evadwolrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evadwolrab

Phew. Well this took far too long, but I finally got my review posted up.

The full thing's here if anyone wants it, but I'll pull out a couple of quotes.

At a time when most real-time strategy developers were enhancing their engines so that we can throw EVEN MORE (gasp!) enemies in one large cluster at the other team, Relic decided to scale down the numbers, ramp up the tactics and make a game that not only challenged players on a different level other than ‘He has 15 tanks. I must need 16 over there’, but one that could also afford tiny graphical and animation details that would just be wasted from a wider angle. What we were left with was characters that we felt more attached to, a sense that any skirmish can be won with the right tactics, and not a swarm tactic in sight.

Dave Barlow’s rating: 5/5. The game excels in all areas. It’s frantic, yet never overwhelming; accessible, but almost infinitely deep; lengthy, but in a rewarding, engaging way. More fun than Warcraft 3, more varied than Company of Heroes. In all honesty, Dawn of War II is the greatest real-time tactical game ever crafted. It almost received four stars, but apparently “I wish it was an MMO” isn’t a valid enough reason to dock points.
    Anyone got it yet? It goes without saying that I recommend it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.