How is the PC Port of this game?

#1 Posted by ectoplasma (973 posts) -

See above. I'm really wanting to get it but i read that its really terrible port once again. Hopefully someone can help out :).

#2 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

the quick look was on a pc but from what i played from the demo on pc it looks great but the controls felt kinda weird. 

#3 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

where the hell did you read its a terrible port, never seen this said about it? its perfect... what the fuck is this trend of shouting left and right that PC games are terrible ports... hell, at worst they run the SAME as the console versions (like From Dust that gets so much shit...it looks the same as the 360 version, right down to being locked at 30fps... so i guess thats what defines a "terrible" port, that it looks the same as the console versions... sounds a bit like "master race elitism" to me).

But anyway, Space Marine is great on PC

#4 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

I dont know, from the demo on steam I maxed out everything and it ran smoothly at 60 fps. So from that I would say it was great. They had all the video options you would expect, and the menues were fine. So I would say it is pretty good. I suggest try the demo yourself to see how it runs on your rig. My only complaint is the controls seem to lean towards using a gamepad since it is a mix of shooting and melee fighting. It is just weird that combos are done by specific amount of mouse clicks, so it eventually just turns into me just spamming the mouse clicks while in battle.

#5 Edited by Binman88 (3685 posts) -

Like Rhaknar said. It's great on the PC. Plug in a 360 controller and it's basically the console version but far sharper looking and smoother running. 

Edit: Keyboard and mouse controls are well done as well.

#6 Posted by bybeach (4775 posts) -

I really liked it on Pc. If I wasn't so lazy I prob. could of gtten adept at the keys, but controller felt better at the moment. Except for several points.

#7 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

It runs perfectly on my PC with everything maxed. Only problem I had was that the sound bugged out 2 or 3 times during the game, usually in extremely intense fights. Beyond that though, it just works.

#8 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

@Rhaknar: People define bad PC ports when they lack options that PC gamers are used to, such as custom controls, a wide array of video settings, and just good performance. I haven't heard anyone say this was a bad port, but I could see someone assuming it would be because it is a kind of game you would expect to see on consoles only.

#9 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

It makes me happy to know that PC games have better support for gamepads these days. I usually stick with my Xbox controller for single player and mouse + keyboard for multiplayer.

#10 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@SSully said:

@Rhaknar: People define bad PC ports when they lack options that PC gamers are used to, such as custom controls, a wide array of video settings, and just good performance. I haven't heard anyone say this was a bad port, but I could see someone assuming it would be because it is a kind of game you would expect to see on consoles only.

i know, but people throw the term "terrible port" around too easily, as if the games are downright broken or unplayable on PC, when most cases they are at worst the same as their console versions.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:

where the hell did you read its a terrible port, never seen this said about it? its perfect... what the fuck is this trend of shouting left and right that PC games are terrible ports... hell, at worst they run the SAME as the console versions (like From Dust that gets so much shit...it looks the same as the 360 version, right down to being locked at 30fps... so i guess thats what defines a "terrible" port, that it looks the same as the console versions... sounds a bit like "master race elitism" to me).

Apparently, they didn't properly convert the analog stick camera control to mouse camera control in From Dust. That sounds like a pretty good reason to me 

@ectoplasma: Don't take people's word on this, there are a lot of people with low standards who call almost any port "good" just because it's playable. I recommend watching a couple of lets-plays and seeing how it handles on PC. Better yet, get a fileshare version and see how it runs and controls, and buy the game if you like it.
#12 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

It's an awesome PC version, it runs perfectly without issues on my crappy PC

#13 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

@Rhaknar: I agree with you 100%. PC gamers can be sickening with how elitest they come across, and this is coming from a PC gamer.

#14 Posted by Octaslash (503 posts) -

Is it even a port? Regardless, Relic knows how to make PC games.

#15 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Rhaknar said:

Apparently, they didn't properly convert the analog stick camera control to mouse camera control in From Dust. That sounds like a pretty good reason to me

@ectoplasma: Don't take people's word on this, there are a lot of people with low standards who call almost any port "good" just because it's playable. I recommend watching a couple of lets-plays and seeing how it handles on PC. Better yet, get a fileshare version and see how it runs and controls, and buy the game if you like it.

ill give you From Dust, especially with that camera shit, but youre calling people saying Space Marine is fine on PC people with low standards...really? REALLY? Have you even played it on PC? Plug in a 360 pad and its exactly the same, only in higher res and 60fps...

unless youre advising him for games in general, not Space Marine in particular... but still...

#16 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

It works really well, just don't care for the controls.

#17 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

I'd say the only issue with it is that the multiplayer matchmaking system is basically lifted from consoles. Other than that the game is a great PC version, seeing how Relic actually made it for the PC first.

#18 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1593 posts) -

it's a good port, if the PC is your platform of choice dont hesitate to get it there, Relic did a good job.

#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

It's a great port, but I suggest you use a gamepad.

#20 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Did Relic really make this for console first? Either way I can't honestly imagine them throwing out a shitty version of their game to the platform they have dedicated most of their time to.

#21 Posted by RandyF (138 posts) -

A bad port on PC that comes to mind would be Dead Island which is, in many ways, a broken, unplayable mess, not to mention that to change weapons you have to open a radial menu, which on the PC is a huge pain. Another that comes to mind is the still-ever-janky GTA4 PC version which still gets crap framerate to this day on high-end machines. Resident Evil 4 which treated the mouse as an analog stick is another one (along with no graphical options for people with lower-end PCs). Brink, in which the graphics could literally not exceed low settings for a good while, but yet the framerate was still horrible, not to mention the match-making being impossible.

There's plenty of example of bad PC ports. I play games on every system equally, but I can see how PC gamers would be upset over rushed ports with bad optimization. That said, having played Space Marine on PC (at least the demo), it ran buttery smooth and the controls were fine.

#22 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:

unless youre advising him for games in general, not Space Marine in particular... but still...

Yes, that's what I'm doing. I haven't tried this game so I don't know and I'm not speculating, but there are a lot of bad ports out there that some people call "good". 
Bad port doesn't necessarily mean butchered, it means that it doesnt convert the control schemes and graphical elements well from consoletown to pctown, and that in the book of any PC gamer with standards is a bad port. I have a beast sitting on my desk with top of the line components (graphics) and a 104-key keyboard and a precise high DPI mouse (controls), giving me a game that looks 3 years old and has robotic camera controls and few key controls is a bad port that doesn't utilize my PC 

@SSully said:

@Rhaknar: I agree with you 100%. PC gamers can be sickening with how elitest they come across, and this is coming from a PC gamer.

The moment someone uses the word "elitist", I immediately disregard their argument. That word is thrown around so often and so randomly that you should avoid using it if you wanna be taken seriously. 
You say you're a PC gamer? You're doing a terrific job keeping that word alive which is used against us left and right, day and night.
#23 Edited by emergency (1193 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Rhaknar said:

Yes, that's what I'm doing. I haven't tried this game so I don't know and I'm not speculating, but there are a lot of bad ports out there that some people call "good".
Bad port doesn't necessarily mean butchered, it means that it doesnt convert the control schemes and graphical elements well from consoletown to pctown, and that in the book of any PC gamer with standards is a bad port. I have a beast sitting on my desk with top of the line components (graphics) and a 104-key keyboard and a precise high DPI mouse (controls), giving me a game that looks 3 years old and has robotic camera controls and few key controls is a bad port that doesn't utilize my PC

@SSully said:

The moment someone uses the word "elitist", I immediately disregard their argument. That word is thrown around so often and so randomly that you should avoid using it if you wanna be taken seriously. You say you're a PC gamer? You're doing a terrific job keeping that word alive which is used against us left and right, day and night.

The moment someone disregards someones statement simply because they use a certain word, I immediately think they are an idiot.

#24 Posted by bybeach (4775 posts) -

I'm a person that deals with very few absolutes, but then I have only moderate idealism. Just the same, the elitist' monicker has, if it had revelance at all, was in the past with the previous gen. consoles and PC. Though I have to admit, after seeing that rendition of a cornfield in resistance 3, I'm starting to wish that was a Pc game instead. But the internet has it's fighting words, and while I do not disregard, I do prepare myself for party line bs when I hear them. Rhatner in my book was simply trying to make an allowance, I understood it.

#25 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: It is used against PC gamers because it fits perfectly. For every PC gamer I meet there is always one person who has to go out of his or her way to talk bad about consoles games or how superior PC's are superior to consoles. The term is used a lot, and sometimes used improperly, but if it fits, which it does, then I will use it all I please.

#26 Edited by ectoplasma (973 posts) -

So, by now I had the idea that I could just try the demo myself. I only played with gamepad and that worked fine. I have the most problems with "bad ports", when I try to play with mouse and keyboard. There are a couple of games that are just unplayable if you don't plug a controller. For example I remember trying Deadspace and it was the worst thing I ever tried to control. Other things are that inventory management and other control options don't get adjusted. Somethings in Borderlands didn't work right with the UI as I remember. Batman Arkham Asylum, Just Cause 2, Resident Evil 4 were all games I could only play with a gamepad to have fun. While I don't mind doing that with hybrid games like that, pure FPS games I really prefer to play with mouse because I'm just sooo much more comfortable with the aim then and I don't feel like my own retarded clone with only thumbs.

Edit: Also I feel the game is fun, but 50e is a bit steep for it.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4775 posts) -

this is mostly a third person game. Aiming I felt would have been better with K and M, but gmepad sufficed.

#28 Posted by GaspoweR (2941 posts) -

@ectoplasma: If your into the 40k universe or rather specifically the Space Marines faction in that universe then you would really dig this game. Otherwise it is still pretty enjoyable. PC controls are fine. My problem is that its got some graphical glitches with my specs (black, flickering textures and disappearing facial models wherein only the eyeballs and teeth are seen). It is not a common prob with the PC but it has affected a number of people which have been posting in the forums. Just use this link to see if your GPU is supported and just follow the instructions if said problems would occur in your version. http://www.spacemarine.com/forums/topic/4685

#29 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

It's relic, man. Nothing to worry about.

#30 Edited by Wuddel (2088 posts) -

People apparently do not know how software development works. You first make a version (=lead platform) - basically the executable, then all the platform independent stuff (=the game) and then you make the other executables. The majority is platform independent anyway.

It runs fine, except a few voiceover bugs. It looks good, but it's no Witcher 2 or anything.

I use gamepad for the campaign and M&K for MP. That reminded me that I will never ever buy a shooter I want to play online for the PC. People are too good for me to keep up :(

#31 Posted by CrazyBagMan (839 posts) -

It's awesome. Totally worth it IMO

#32 Posted by Wuddel (2088 posts) -

@ectoplasma said:

See above. I'm really wanting to get it but i read that its really terrible port once again. Hopefully someone can help out :).

Also - strangely not mentioned in this thread - there is a demo out. You can get it on steam.

#33 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

Oy you daft wankaa!

Of course da PeeZee is da best!

It rendaa me wit me greenboyz da best!

You not buyin' it makes me want to WAAGGGGH on you!

Out now for $49.99 @ Steam and major retailers.

#34 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@niamahai Right you flash git, lez uv dis talkin' rubbish an' more shootin' 'n choppin!

WAAAAAGH!
#35 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

Just an FYI for everyone who's getting it for PC, at the moment the only bad parts of it are in the multiplayer. It's by no means unplayable, but because it uses P2P instead of servers, you can get a few laggy games occasionaly. The Mics are also always on, and you need to mute players one by one. These can be patched out though and doesn't stop me playing a shit ton of the MP.

I even use a mouse/keyboard to play and haven't had trouble at all. Excellent port imho besides the couple of issues with the MP. I've been playing a lot.

#36 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

The way the menu is designed and how some of the stuff works, I would say it is a port, however, it is a very good port.
Supports Crossfire, SLI, good performance overall, the controls are a bit janky, but you get use to it ;)

#37 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I just got the game, and the keyboard/mouse combo seems to be working fine for me, textures look high res.. The resolution selector though is funky, you have to select the aspect ratio first and then the appropriate resolution. Really should try to auto-detect the correct one, but not a big issue. Also, SPACE MARINES.

#38 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

The game performs looks and performs great, even on somewhat modest machines. PC is definitely the way to go. I'm not crazy about the PC controls for this game, I would suggest plugging a controller. The aiming boost you get with a mouse is negligible to the third person movement and melee that the 360 controller benefits from. It's not like you need Battlefield level of shot accuracy anyway.

#39 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

I only ever consider a game a bad port if it runs like shit no matter what. If it controls well (usually with a game pad), and runs smooth I'll be good to go. Graphics are a bonus.

Of course if it has a million settings that I can tweak, I'll be just as happy.

Anyway, yeah from the demo, the game runs and plays great. If you're still unsure, just wait for the Steam Holiday sale. Dreams always come true then.

#40 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

I only ever consider a game a bad port if it runs like shit no matter what. If it controls well (usually with a game pad), and runs smooth I'll be good to go. Graphics are a bonus. Of course if it has a million settings that I can tweak, I'll be just as happy. Anyway, yeah from the demo, the game runs and plays great. If you're still unsure, just wait for the Steam Holiday sale. Dreams always come true then.

And wallets go to die..

I think the word port is being used wrongly. Its more about the effort to make the game play to the PCs strength (more ram/ghz/donuts). But even PC-only games have issues, such as alt-tab on the Witcher 2. Alt tab out and back and a black screen shows for a while before it starts rendering anything (Space Marin handles it fine).

#41 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Afroman269 said:

It's a great port, but I suggest you use a gamepad.

Exactly, thou It works just fine with K/M - @OP You should really go download the demo on steam, I'm actually buying this one with the RO2 refund.

#42 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

I'd go as far as to say that PC was lead platform. Sure, some of the textures are a bit low res, but overall it's very sharp. Mouse and keyboard works perfect, much better then gamepad I would say. On hard it was completely impossible to pull off the very needed headshots with Stalker Bolter/Las Gun to take out the RPG dudes with the gamepad, but with mouse it was a lot easier. Seeing as shooting is the primary mechanic (at least on hard, melee is suicide in many situations), I would go with mouse.

#43 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Ertard said:

I'd go as far as to say that PC was lead platform. Sure, some of the textures are a bit low res, but overall it's very sharp. Mouse and keyboard works perfect, much better then gamepad I would say. On hard it was completely impossible to pull off the very needed headshots with Stalker Bolter/Las Gun to take out the RPG dudes with the gamepad, but with mouse it was a lot easier. Seeing as shooting is the primary mechanic (at least on hard, melee is suicide in many situations), I would go with mouse.

I played the campaign in the 360, got Rage for the PC instead. My question is do Gamepad support have auto aim in the PC version? because I went in head shot rampage with the Aim assit.

#44 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

@Ertard said:

I'm played the campaign in the 360, got Rage for the PC instead. My question is do Gamepad support have auto aim in the PC version? because I went in head shot rampage with the Aim assit.

Target assist is an option if you enable gamepad on the PC version.

#45 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

@DonPixel: Yeah, I would imagine you could pull of headshots easily with aim assist. It's just that my hands damn near cramp when trying to do precision aiming with a controller, totally not used to that. And yes, you can enable it like mosdl said.

#46 Posted by applet0n (652 posts) -

I played only the demo, but based on that I'll say just two things:

1. The game looks much better overall on PC, with the environments in particular being really impressive
  2. The controls just felt strange. There is something off about them that's hard to explain. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I'd go with a gamepad.
#47 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1415 posts) -

I have it on PC and I think it's fine; I've been using a keyboard and mouse to play the game. I tried the demo out on PSN too and found the gamepad awkward during my time with it. I guess that's mainly because I played hours of the demo on Steam using the keyboard and mouse set up so I became more comfortable with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.