Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

A crucial planet size factory is under siege by millions of Orks. As Space Marine Captain Titus, you must lead your soldiers to stem the tide until help arrives.

I do not like the end of this game (spoilers)

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By fistfulofmetal

The second last section of the game where you get the jump pack and hammer was great, as always.

then the game has you face some standard groups of enemies.

then you get a basic wave based arena segment that is only a bit more difficult than what you've already been doing.

then you complete a super short QTE.

Then the game ends.

That's it? You beat the big bad with a QTE? No big epic battle? Come, on! Even the big bad ork bro got a big boss fight. It's as if Relic ran out of ideas or were pressured to just finish the game and didn't have time to implement anything interesting.

I didn't mind the note the game ended on, but very blatant sequel cliffhanger wasn't satisfying at all.

Kind of bummed out tbh.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Dude come on, think of how lame that boss fight would have been if it wasn't a QTE. It would not have been epic at all, it would have dragged on and both characters would not have acted like what they really were.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gabriel

Games usually don't end well, just the two games I played recently Deus Ex, and Resistance 3 had terrible endings. Last good ending was RDR.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By neoepoch

The ending of the game itself, was a nice downer ending, but the boss fight just reminded me of the Joker fight from Arkham Asylum. You beat up a few henchmen, and kinda fight the boss. Even the Warboss fight kinda reminded me of Arkham and Bane oddly enough.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@Jeffsekai said:

Dude come on, think of how lame that boss fight would have been if it wasn't a QTE. It would not have been epic at all, it would have dragged on and both characters would not have acted like what they really were.

I rather liked the fight with Grimskull. And excuses like these are cop outs. They could have created some kind of battle that simply wasn't a simple QTE. It literally was the most basic form of QTE there could have been.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Fistfulofmetal said:

@Jeffsekai said:

I rather liked the fight with Grimskull. And excuses like these are cop outs. They could have created some kind of battle that simply wasn't a simple QTE. It literally was the most basic form of QTE there could have been.

The fight with grimskull was stupid, dude took a retarded amount of Lascannon shots to the face before he died.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Teran
    @Fistfulofmetal

Boss fights rarely work out in games like this no matter how good the game is.  Not even a critically acclaimed game like Mass Effect 2 had particularly good boss fights in the launch version of the game... Ultimately though, I agree, it was disappointing but I was more disappointed by the villain over all and how he repeatedly used "the force" to keep Titus in place long enough to monologue like the emperor.

The actual story ending I was pretty satisfied with though.

@Jeffsekai said:

The fight with grimskull was stupid, dude took a retarded amount of Lascannon shots to the face before he died.

I killed him with a bolter and grenades and it didn't take that long at all.  I suspect you were doing it wrong.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By big_jon

I actually thought it was cool.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SpecTackle

I thought it was fine, nothing ground breaking but I liked where the story ended. I would love to see a sequel with a proper budget.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Yea, the Epilogue didn't jive with me either. It felt like there was no real resolution.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

I liked it, just did. The OP is right in that the Boss fight ought to be just that a boss fight, but everyone else is right in saying it's hard to make happen. Sad ending of sorts, nice cap.

Mantel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mantel

@Jeffsekai said:

Just get some Warboss-be-gone from your local Apothecary or Magos Biologis and apply vigorously with the Thunderhammer applicator.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

I actually really liked how they split the "big last challenge" and the "kill the bad guy" section up. Although both had some execution issues I thought it was a clever way of circumventing the age old issue of "bad boss fight". The arena could've been done better, but it was exactly what a final encounter in a game should be, an escalated challenge based on how the game has trained you to play it. No sudden change in gameplay, or boring endurance battle with bullet-sponge boss or anything like that. And then when you have beat the challenge the games rewards you with an interactive (and awesome if you ask me) action sequence where you kill the boss. No "shoot the boss a million times, then a cutscene where they have an epic battle and you kill him by shooting him once" stuff.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

To Ares42 (I'd quote you but GB is still glitched so I can't) I found the bullet sponge to be the sub-boss before. Roll and shoot, roll and shoot. But that was okay, it's what I had learned to do survive against the big boys. Oh yeah, use the filled meter for enhanced melee on him, also.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Seedofpower

Yeah, the Warboss fight was fun but I didn't want to do that again. I didn't mind the QTE, but the actual cut scene ending kinda bugged me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ares42
    @bybeach said:
    To Ares42 (I'd quote you but GB is still glitched so I can't) I found the bullet sponge to be the sub-boss before. Roll and shoot, roll and shoot. But that was okay, it's what I had learned to do survive against the big boys. Oh yeah, use the filled meter for enhanced melee on him, also.
    Sure, the big chaos marines takes a bit to kill, but it's still nowhere near to what the Warboss took, which is how the last boss would've been.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bybeach

Back to Ares42, that last suboss before the main QTE was a bit of a pain in the ass for me. Yes, I used on him what I had put together for the warboss. The Warboss though made it a bit easy when he took himself directly out of the fight. I thought I was missing something, but I think he finally went down on an enhanced melee plus that downward chop. Before that I was filling his face with those near-heavy bolter rounds.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By amir90

Sort of a Meh ending, I hate cliffhangers.

The last boss fight was fine.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deanoxd

you know why the last boss fight was the way it was? because to have a normal boss fight they would have to keep up the waves of enemies because the stupid health mechanic which i absolutely hated through out the game. why couldn't they just give me health packs or regenerating health like they do in the MP. i still would have bashed the shit out of orks regardless. there are some very enjoyable parts to Space Marine but there are things they did, that if not changed i most likely will not buy the sequel.

but overall i do agree that the end boss was pretty weak

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Wuddel

Boss fights are always tricky. You want something special, taht challenges the player, but that he is also able to tackle with the skills aquired in the last hours. Because if you just put in a boss who behaves completely differently - it can become frustrating. So I like boss fights where you have to "learn" the boss, but are foregiving while you do it, but executing the plan is hard. This is hard to do as a developer. Grimskull was too easy (on normal), because you could just dump on him.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By JTB123

They made the right choice for the final boss fight, the mechanics wouldn't have made it epic, it would have just been circle strafing around the blocks of cover and peek shooting at him.  

All in all this game was a big surprise to me, it was a great time. 

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

I thought that the QTE was well earned seeing as there really was no QTE like this anywhere else in the game. Plot wise it sucked that Captain Titus saved the whole planet and he gets no congratulations, in fact he gets taken into custody.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By rawrz

At least it wasnt as bad as the ending of Battlefied 3

Traegan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Traegan

@Ares42 said:

I actually really liked how they split the "big last challenge" and the "kill the bad guy" section up. Although both had some execution issues I thought it was a clever way of circumventing the age old issue of "bad boss fight". The arena could've been done better, but it was exactly what a final encounter in a game should be, an escalated challenge based on how the game has trained you to play it. No sudden change in gameplay, or boring endurance battle with bullet-sponge boss or anything like that. And then when you have beat the challenge the games rewards you with an interactive (and awesome if you ask me) action sequence where you kill the boss. No "shoot the boss a million times, then a cutscene where they have an epic battle and you kill him by shooting him once" stuff.

I agree, the challenging part was the arena battle before killing the bad guy. I felt no need to fight him and pour hundreds of rounds into him while dodging.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

@Hizang said:

I thought that the QTE was well earned seeing as there really was no QTE like this anywhere else in the game. Plot wise it sucked that Captain Titus saved the whole planet and he gets no congratulations, in fact he gets taken into custody.

Agreed on all counts there, but wasn't Titus being taken into custody and his reputation being called into question as well, the motivaton/set up device for the sequel?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The characters weren't memorable at all either, the gameplay was great and Warhammer 40k is an amazing universe. I just hope in the sequel we get some fleshed out and interesting characters that we can care about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.