Inquisitor Height

#1 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

While the Imperial Guard are appropriately short in comparison to Astartes, I noticed that both Inquisitors -- one during the middle of the campaign and one at the very end -- are nearly as tall as Captain Titus. Any WH4K loremasters know why this might be?

#2 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Well, I dont know the lore, but Drogan says when you find him "Im a soldier and a scientist both". So they are probably genetically similar, at least that would me by guess.

#3 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

I think that it is implied that the first inquisitor was once something akin to a space marine or a librarian. When you first meet him it's subtly implied, but it could also just be that it's a video game and they wanted the inquisitors model to stand out among the others, so he was made taller.

#4 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

All I can find on the subject says that 8 of the founding 12 members of the Inquisition were Astartes (that means Space Marines in their fake Latin), and Inquisitors can requisition Space Marine forces for missions. Of course, the Inquisition would have been founded thousands of years before this game, so who knows what might have changed. I don't know if any full Inquisitors are former Space Marines with all of the augmentations that come with that, but it seems plausible.

#5 Edited by Giantstalker (1651 posts) -
@Mercanis said:

While the Imperial Guard are appropriately short in comparison to Astartes, I noticed that both Inquisitors -- one during the middle of the campaign and one at the very end -- are nearly as tall as Captain Titus. Any WH4K loremasters know why this might be?

Both Inquisitors were wearing Power Armor, which is supposed to boost height considerably.

The regular humans (ie; guardsman) just had flak armor which is basically useless.

I guess the Power Armor adds almost another two feet or something. Still, I agree, they are perhaps a wee bit too large compared to the tiny Guardsmen elsewhere in the game.
#6 Posted by bybeach (4828 posts) -

I think that last inquisitor was standing on somebody elses back when he addressed Titus. He seemed the type,..and wasn't he a bit shorter? I've been doing a little reading, and perhaps he had some adjustments, idk, nothing like a space marine I suspect..mental perhaps. Drogan I bet was more honest for his height, as mentioned.

#7 Edited by sirean_syan (10 posts) -

Many Inquisitors make use of heavy cybernetics to increase their physical abilities or even to just make themselves more intimidating. It's not as good as being a Space Marine, but it can do the trick. Drogan did have a bionic arm, so many other parts of his body were replaced as well.

As a side note, Space Marines don't become Inquisitors and vise versa. While there a sort of exchange program that will have individual Space Marines temporarily work under the Inquisition (the Deathwatch), there's something of a separation of power that keeps Space Marine's from holding power like that of an Inquisitor. In fact, both are generally prone to mistrusting the other. Many Space Marine chapters have something to hide from the Inquisition and will often do their best to keep them at a distance.

#8 Posted by EchoEcho (825 posts) -

Aside from the already stated fact that the Inquisitors were wearing power armor (which will add several inches), keep in mind that the average Space Marine is only around 7'6" in height -- though their size seems to get continually exaggerated more and more in the fiction. Those Inquisitors are likely just fairly tall for a normal human, on top of wearing the armor. Believe me, their height stood out to me, too, but it's relatively easily explained.

#9 Edited by big_jon (5727 posts) -

Inquisitors often have cybernetic enhancements and the like, most Inquisitors are taller than the average man.

#10 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

Uhhh... I'm gonna go play Dead Space 2 now.

#11 Posted by oblique_ (52 posts) -

I'm fairly certain I've read of at least one inquisitor who augmetically modified himself enough to be the size of an astartes, though he was still no match for one. It was in a novel, I just can't remember which one. I've read a lot (way too many) of them.

Inquisitors are simply one of the few groups in the Imperium who have both the resources necessary and the blessing of the High Lords to modify themselves however they want, so it's not uncommon for them to be large or otherwise physically abnormal. An example I can clearly remember is Inquisitor Heldane, in First and Only by Dan Abnett. He was described as being quite large, but in the Eisenhorn novels (which take place before First and Only) he's not particularly physically imposing. Most inquisitors don't do so, however. Usually their fancy augmetics are a necessity after suffering an injury rather than vanity modifications designed to make them more intimidating. Typically an inquisitorial rosette is all any inquisitor needs to inspire absolute fear in your average imperial citizen.

Despite all of this, I really think the size of the two inquisitors in Space Marine, even taking their power armor (which is vastly different from astartes power armor) into account, was just artistic license to help get across to folks unfamiliar with 40k that inquisitors aren't just pushy space-cops.

#12 Posted by big_jon (5727 posts) -

@NTM said:

What kind of a stupid post was that? Why should we care?

#13 Posted by CrazyBagMan (842 posts) -

@NTM said:

What a relevant and insightful comment. *golf clap*

#14 Posted by oblique_ (52 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

All I can find on the subject says that 8 of the founding 12 members of the Inquisition were Astartes (that means Space Marines in their fake Latin), and Inquisitors can requisition Space Marine forces for missions. Of course, the Inquisition would have been founded thousands of years before this game, so who knows what might have changed. I don't know if any full Inquisitors are former Space Marines with all of the augmentations that come with that, but it seems plausible.

What you read was probably in reference to the Grey Knights, an astartes chapter formed during the Horus Heresy with the specific intent of being the Imperium's bulwark against daemonic forces. The Grey Knights are the chamber militant of the Ordo Malleus, the arm of the inquisition that deals with warp entities. They are the only real chapter that is officially a part of the Inquisition. As sirean_syan said most other chapters are extremely leery about working with the Inquisition. The reason that the Ultramarines do so with little issue is that the Ultramarines are the posterboys of the Adeptus Astartes and their geneseed is arguably the purest. They have nothing to hide from the inquisition, while other chapters have quite a lot to hide.

The Deathwatch is similar, but its members are seconded to it on a limited time basis by other chapters. It's a very fluid organization and is based entirely on volunteerism, though I'm sure it doesn't always play out that way. The Deathwatch is the chamber militant for the Ordo Xenos, which is the ordo that Drogan hails from.

I'd go over the last major inquisitorial ordo, the Ordo Hereticus, too but I'm already way off topic here. Suffice it to say that they have no official ties to astartes chapters and really have no need to make any.

If I'm wrong and what you read does indeed state that founding members of the Inquisition could you tell me where/link to it? I'm curious.

#15 Posted by EchoEcho (825 posts) -

@oblique_ said:

@Scrawnto said:

*snip snip* If I'm wrong and what you read does indeed state that founding members of the Inquisition could you tell me where/link to it? I'm curious.

I believe you can find some of that information right here, although it's stated as being only one of two possible stories explaining the origins of the Inquisition. I haven't read any of the novels that the information comes from, so I can't really add anything beyond that.

#16 Posted by oblique_ (52 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

I believe you can find some of that information right here, although it's stated as being only one of two possible stories explaining the origins of the Inquisition. I haven't read any of the novels that the information comes from, so I can't really add anything beyond that.

Ahh, I see. Yeah It's kind of unclear as to what the inquisition actually was when it first started, so I totally see what you were talking about. That's actually being slowly developed right now by the Horus Heresy series of novels. But yeah, the astartes mentioned were indeed the core of what became the Grey Knights. I have to admit, I'm probably taking a small leap on that since they haven't entirely finished the story. It seems painfully obvious that it's going to work out that way, so I'd be shocked if it didn't. Thanks for that, though, I had completely forgotten how some of that stuff was worded.

#17 Posted by Frohman (146 posts) -

Doing a quick comparison of the models:

http://homepage.mac.com/james.clay/images02/lorr.jpg

This Inquisitor seems human enough. The general sort of Inquisitor that you'd find.

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Daemon_Hunter_Inquisitor_Lord_Coteaz.jpg

However, this Inquisitor Lord is wearing power armour which means he'd have to have had all the Space Marine work done on him to achieve the right height, etc, to be able to wear it.

I guess, while not every Inquisitor is as tall as a Space Marine, it wouldn't surprise me that some would order to have themselves recreated as one. Hell, they have the power.

I think some Inquisitors have their bodies fueled with Xeno, Daemon or Mutant blood and organs, but that's probably rare.

#18 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Inquisitors often work alone or only with the help of servitors, they are essentially a sort of secret police for the Imperium and as such must be strong, talented and intelligent to survive. I'd guess this means they receive the same if not better genetic/biotic enhancements that a standard Space Marine enjoys.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a largely solitary, deeply character-driven Inquisitor game is one of my dream video games. 

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
#20 Posted by Koshka (187 posts) -

@Hizang: You're trolling. Simply stay out of the post if you're not interested please.

#21 Edited by Bismarck (430 posts) -

Well cuz I can't seem to upload pictures to GB, imma leave this here

Oh and this

#22 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -
@Bismarck That is fan speculation, though - as your second link clearly states.

Still interesting , though :)
#23 Posted by Mercanis (660 posts) -

@Bismarck said:

Well cuz I can't seem to upload pictures to GB, imma leave this here

Oh and this

The fact that such an article exists warms my heart. I love the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.