People playing the multiplayer?

#1 Posted by Frostler (244 posts) -

I'm thinking of picking this up but was wondering if the multiplayer has a strong following or at least enough to find a match whenever I want.?

#2 Posted by sugetipula (98 posts) -

On what platform?

#3 Posted by Frostler (244 posts) -

Any system, I'm also trying to decide which to buy it for.

#4 Posted by Evil_Alaska (292 posts) -

On 360 every time I have looked for a match I have had no problems. Late at night still no problem, but sometimes the game isn't always full.

I like the multiplayer, but I don't think it is reason enough to buy the game for it. Little imbalance, too few maps and modes.

If you want a good single player experience with decent multiplayer that will keep you busy until something with a more full fledged multiplayer like GOW3, COD or Battlefield comes out, I would say pick it up.

#5 Edited by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@Evil_Alaska said:

If you want a good single player experience with decent multiplayer that will keep you busy until something with a more full fledged multiplayer like GOW3, COD or Battlefield comes out, I would say pick it up.

QFT. Well, I think the balance is not perfect. Or put differently. The enemies are quite bullet spongy with some weapons (Bolter, Power Axe) and 1-2 shot kills with others (Lascannon, Thunder Hammer). Also do not plan to S-Rank this game. There are some MP achievements, and they are quite insane. But the mix of melee and ranged weapons is quite unique and chainswordsawing a dude is "oddly satisfying".

I would say go PC if you are really comfy with Mouse&Keyboard. Otherwise go PS3 I think. The overlap between Uncharted 3 players and "Space Marine" players is probably not as big as between GOW3 and SM. Anyway I bet its gonna get crushed once MW3 / BF3 come out.

#6 Posted by Fait622 (79 posts) -

@Wuddel: Yup, I think that if you want to play the MP at all then you should buy it sooner rather than later. There is a strong presence on the 360 for now but 2 more huge shooters are coming later this season and it will probably lean out a bit then. And if you are worried about achievements then I think the hoard mode coming out in October will make most (but not all) of those much easier.

#7 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@Fait622 said:

@Wuddel: Yup, I think that if you want to play the MP at all then you should buy it sooner rather than later. There is a strong presence on the 360 for now but 2 more huge shooters are coming later this season and it will probably lean out a bit then. And if you are worried about achievements then I think the hoard mode coming out in October will make most (but not all) of those much easier.

Probably not the "Get 10:1 K/D in Annihilation" one. But yeah - getting multikills with the Vengeance Launcher will be possible then.

#8 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

Keep in mind the multiplayer will probably die on the 360 once GoW3 is released. PC will likely always have people on it.

#9 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

Doesn't take that long to find matches.

Getting 10 kills in Annihilation is not that hard, just use the melta gun :D

#10 Posted by TekZero (2638 posts) -

You get to paint yourself like a freaking Black Templar! 

Duder, I'm there.  Once I get the game of course. 

#11 Posted by Bismarck (430 posts) -

They will add new modes in the upcoming dlcs and co-op survival like missions.  I play on  PC with a devastator with  a Heavy Bolter

#12 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

I'm really enjoying it. I don't really care about the lack of maps, the ones that are in the game seem to be pretty good.

#13 Posted by ModernAlkemie (356 posts) -

I started playing multiplayer over the weekend on the 360, and I've really enjoyed it so far. I've had no problems getting into matches (don't know how Gears will change this), and I have been playing a lot of the control point scenarios. While there are not a lot of maps, the ones available are nicely varied in layout and provide benefits for making sure your team has a good class composition depending on map and which control points are being held.

Overall I'm having a good deal of fun with it and hope Relic continues supporting with additional content.

#14 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

on pc you can easily find full servers, it usually takes about 10 or so seconds for the game to find a match (i bought it on steam)

#15 Posted by ChillyUK7 (283 posts) -

I haven't played the game much but at this point I can say it's very fun online and so far there hasn't seemed to be many balance issues (martyrdom is annoying) and I have run into some unplayably laggy matches, the game seems to achieve it's rock, paper, scissors approach to classes, customisation is deep and there are plenty of weapons and perks to unlock. There aren't many maps or modes (TDM and Control point work very well though), a couple maps feel a little bland and it would have been nice to have a more unique game mode that took inspiration from the 40K universe although Horde mode is on it's way. Overall I think there won't be a massive amount of players still playing when Gears3/MW3/BF3 roll around but enough for consistant matches. Im playing on 360 btw.

#16 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@amir90 said:

Doesn't take that long to find matches. Getting 10 kills in Annihilation is not that hard, just use the melta gun :D

Dude. Not 10 kills. 10:1 K/D ratio. As in 20:2. Getting kills is not hard, but not getting killed (much) is. At least for me.

@TekZero: Like every second guy I have seen. I think there is even an enhanced Black Templar Armor around which you probably could get as a pre-order bonus. Tons of dudes rolling with this.

#17 Posted by neoepoch (1290 posts) -

@Wuddel: You can do the vengeance launcher multikill (kill 10 enemies with 5 'nades) in the single player.

Also, I'd say on the PC there would probably be a fairly devoted following since, there is a high correlation of Warhammer fans and PC players.

#18 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@neoepoch said:

@Wuddel: You can do the vengeance launcher multikill (kill 10 enemies with 5 'nades) in the single player.

Also, I'd say on the PC there would probably be a fairly devoted following since, there is a high correlation of Warhammer fans and PC players.

No, I mean the multiplayer "Challenges" for the Launcer. And you need to have all 96 of them for the "Keeper of the Armory". That and "Devastation" are the big bummers.

#19 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

@Wuddel: It is far more realistic to go for 10:1 ratio with 10 kills, then 20 kills.

At least that is what I meant.

#20 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@amir90 said:

@Wuddel: It is far more realistic to go for 10:1 ratio with 10 kills, then 20 kills.

At least that is what I meant.

Ah. Fair enough.

#21 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

PS3 user here, can't get into a match without my Playstation freezing. Apparently they have sent a patch to Sony for verification.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.