Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

A crucial planet size factory is under siege by millions of Orks. As Space Marine Captain Titus, you must lead your soldiers to stem the tide until help arrives.

Recommend me a book

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sopachuco13

I am going to start playing Space Marine soon, but like Vinny I am one of those crazy fools that likes to read fan fiction about properties that I am getting into. I was hoping that some of you could recommend some good Warhammer 40,000 books. I would really like some that have to deal with the characters or situations that are pertaining to Space Marine, but if there aren't any than anything would be fine.

Cheers

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By capt_ventris

I would recommend the Ultramarines series by Graham McNeil as a good first time read.

It is about Ultramarine(duh) and gives a good account of the setting without be too overwhelming. The first three books have been collected in an Omnibus so you can get stuck in quite easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultramarines-Omnibus-Warhammer-40-000/dp/1844164039/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326189506&sr=8-1

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Space-Marines/Ultramarines-Omnibus-The.html

If you are interested in a bit more detail feel free to PM me.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By Mnemoidian

Check out this thread and this one, there are a lot of book suggestions there.

Many of the books are standalone, but some are part of series - so avoid starting in the middle of those, otherwise just pick something that looks interesting. Anything in particular you want to read about? Good books in general? Space Marines? Imperial Guard? Chaos?

There aren't that many Xeno books...

Edit: Sorry, right, dealing with stuff related to the game. I'm not sure how relevant the Ultramarine books are, I never got a good feel how Ultramarines do things from the Ultramarines books by Graham McNeil - Uriel Ventris seems to be a lot more roguish than the average Ultramarine, which, I guess - is similar to how Captain Titus handles things. But it's probably still your best bet.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Anund

Easily Gaunt's Ghosts. They don't feature any space marines, but they are bloody awesome. In fact, reading from the perspective of the common imperial guard makes you truly appreciate the awesome strength of a space marine. They are some of the best books I have read and Abnett has taken the spot as my favourite author.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Akyho

Dawn of war Blood Raven Omnibus. I have gotten to the grant total of page 30.......out of 800. So dont listen to me. It might be good its three books in one. Its the Blood Ravens.....is that your bag?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By beforet

I started with Horus Rising, first book in the Horus Heresy. It's pretty good, and it's written by Dan Abnett who is supposedly one of the better 40K authors. It doesn't have much to do with the game directly, and it has barely any mention of the ultramarines, but it's still a pretty good intro to the lore.

Olu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Olu

Den's Abnett Eisenhorn trilogy is really great, widely considered as one of the best 40k books. It kinda deals with other part of Warhammer lore, inqusition, but overall theme of the book is similar to Space Marine story

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis
    @Anund

Easily Gaunt's Ghosts. They don't feature any space marines, but they are bloody awesome. In fact, reading from the perspective of the common imperial guard makes you truly appreciate the awesome strength of a space marine. They are some of the best books I have read and Abnett has taken the spot as my favourite author.

Guant's Ghosts is an amazing series, sure as sure.
    Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Akyho: I don't know... I really struggled with that Omnibus, I don't like CS Goto much... I've seen the opinion repeated elsewhere, but that might just be me looking for confirmation of my opinion :)

I'd rather suggest a book in the setting by Dan Abnett or even Graham McNeil over CS Goto though, but whatever works for you :)

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Anund

@Vorbis said:

@Anund

Guant's Ghosts is an amazing series, sure as sure.

That fething bastard killed my favourite character...

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Commisar123

@Capt_Ventris said:

I would recommend the Ultramarines series by Graham McNeil as a good first time read.

It is about Ultramarine(duh) and gives a good account of the setting without be too overwhelming. The first three books have been collected in an Omnibus so you can get stuck in quite easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultramarines-Omnibus-Warhammer-40-000/dp/1844164039/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326189506&sr=8-1

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Space-Marines/Ultramarines-Omnibus-The.html

Stop pormoting your self Ventris, anyway the obvious choice is Eisenhorn....no bias

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

The Space Marine Battles series is a good start because they're all pretty self contained. Fall of Damnos is great, Ultramarines vs. Necrons.
    The Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchell is awesome. Much different tone from everything else, more humor but its a nice change of pace from the usual doom and gloom. Its more IG focused.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akyho

@Mnemoidian said:

@Akyho: I don't know... I really struggled with that Omnibus, I don't like CS Goto much... I've seen the opinion repeated elsewhere, but that might just be me looking for confirmation of my opinion :)

I'd rather suggest a book in the setting by Dan Abnett or even Graham McNeil over CS Goto though, but whatever works for you :)

I said I am on page 30 and dont listen to me. To go over. I am on page 30 and it has been 4 years since I bought the book. Its complicated to read. I would have an easier with time war and peace. One minute I am with Eldar...however he didnt tell me untill he says "as the Wraithlord walks aside the troops." for a world that needs alot of power to imagine....it hurts the head when your not told what to imagine.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By big_jon

@Capt_Ventris said:

This, also A Storm of Iron was amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.