The Warhammer 40k Space Marine Review thread

#1 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

so reviews for this are pretty late for whatever reason, but theya re starting to roll out. Ill list and link all the major ones here, as usual, no random blogs or foreign sites that noone has heard of, sorry.

Joystiq 4/5
Eurogamer 6/10
PC Gamer 82/100
IGN 7.5/10
Gamespot 7/10

Myself, after spending about 2 hours with it, think that 40k fans (like myself) will absolutely love it, non fans will probably just look at it for what it is outside the universe... a well made, good looking shooter with little variety. thats my opinion, im sure some non-40k fan will say im wrong and say I LOVE IT AND I DONT KNOW THE UNIVERSE :p

#2 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I am absolutely loving the game. Yeah, I'm a huge 40K fan, but the multiplayer (haven't touched singleplayer) is really cool. I like the absence of the cover system.

#3 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I played the demo and loved it. I have played Dawn of War and the tabletop game a bit but I'm not that into the universe.

I find it strange Eurogamer gave it a 6. =/

#4 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

can't wait for this, seems like a solid game. Vinny has inspired me to read some of the 40k books so i am doubly excited.

#5 Posted by kishinfoulux (2282 posts) -

I implore people to at least give the demo a shot. I had no interest and it sold me instantly and I'm not even a fan of the fiction.

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I don't "know" the universe, but I do enjoy Space Marines and Orks.  I played the demo and loved it.  I definitely want to play this but I don't think I have the money to spend 60 bucks on it right now with many other games coming out that are must-haves to me, many of which I will get more time out of.

#7 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

I've seen the demo being played, but my current shitty, PMSing internet connection is stopping me from downloading the demo. From what I've seen, it looks like a hell of a fun game, and I liked the 40K games on PC, and I love the space marines, so this really does tickle my fancy.

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

I'm on Ch 2. The weapons are so fun. Love that Melta Gun especially.

#9 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I learned to always jump into multiplayer first if ever, because you'll be better than everyone else at first. Better than jumping in late and getting smoked.

#10 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I have already bought it, (I have to wait till Friday thou), so reviews don't mean that much to me.

However, I want this game to get as good review as possible, so people might give it a chance :)

#11 Posted by LibraryDues (342 posts) -

I am hoping this game turns out good. I would love to suit up in the black and pink of the Emperor's Children and teabag people online.

"Perfection and Death!"

#12 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

im on chapter 4 and i didnt find the Melta (thats the shotgun right?), wtf :( just the lancer, the sniper one and the grenades you can detonate at will one :/
#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@Enigma777 said:

im on chapter 4 and i didnt find the Melta (thats the shotgun right?), wtf :( just the lancer, the sniper one and the grenades you can detonate at will one :/

We may be confusing Chapters with Acts here. Did you get to the part where you're in the sewers? Cause I think I picked it up around that point.

#14 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Rhaknar said:

@Enigma777 said:

We may be confusing Chapters with Acts here. Did you get to the part where you're in the sewers? Cause I think I picked it up around that point.

yeah youre mixing up chapters with acts it seems :) There are 17 chapters in the game. Also, updated with PC Gamer review

edit: sewers are Chapter 7, just got there :)
#15 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -

First off I am a massive 40k fan, working on an 1750pt Ultramarine as I speak. So far the way Iv'e approached the game is playing about an hour and a bit of the campaign then switching to a few rounds of the multiplayer so I don't run through the campaign too quickly. I'm not a not guy who usually plays multi player in video games yet I am loving it in Space Marine. There is something so satisfying (the key word I think) about setting up a devastor marine in a nice fire zone and raining hell with a heavy bolter on any who approach.

If anybody is playing on PC by the way my Steam Id is ; lucianventris(told you I was a 40k fan)

#16 Posted by Brians (1460 posts) -

anyone know where to go n the part where you have to get on the titan?

#17 Posted by Giantstalker (1628 posts) -

Well Gamespot ended up giving it a 7.0, a bit harsh in my view but not an unreasonable score by any means.

#18 Posted by mrangryface (775 posts) -

Multiplayer is tons of fun- I need to get back to the single player at some point though :/

#19 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

updated with IGN and Gamespot reviews

#20 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Not sure if this one counts, but the biggest Norwegian gaming site gave it a 8/10.
And they are very strict :P
One of their reviewers gave Uncharted 2 6/10, and all hell broke loose, rofl.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.