This game is meant to be played with a gamepad ....

#1 Posted by Wuddel (2090 posts) -

Well, at least that was my impression. While I struggled on Easy with Mouse&Keyboard in the Demo, it has been enjoyable with a gamepad on normal. Heck I think I am even doing better with a gamepad online against people who probably use mouse and keyboard. What are your impressions?

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

Dunno, I found it controlled perfectly fine with the M+K. There are several settings to tweak as well.

#3 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Oh really? /sarcasm

Anyways I'm left-handed so I always change the buttons and after I did that the game played perfectly with M+K.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4838 posts) -

I generally find any third person action game awkward to control on K+M.

#5 Posted by MikeFightNight (1109 posts) -

The only gaming I do with a M+K are RTS. I prefer a controller for everything else.

#6 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

Hehe, the same debate over and over again.

#7 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -

I've been playing with an Xbox 360 controller for Windows and it feels nice. For game that are a bit actioney (not a word I know) I tend go straight for the gamepad.

Comes down to personal preference I guess

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

If a game makes me shoot dudes at least half the time, I'm not gonna use a gamepad insterad of a mouse.

#9 Posted by Wuddel (2090 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

If a game makes me shoot dudes at least half the time, I'm not gonna use a gamepad insterad of a mouse.

I think this is the major difference. So far I am barely using the ranged weapons (only when the game forces me too). This is 40k! Cut fools in half with a chainsword!

#10 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

I prefer gamepad for almost everything except RTS.

#11 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I think this is the major difference. So far I am barely using the ranged weapons (only when the game forces me too). This is 40k! Cut fools in half with a chainsword!

Space marines are master of all weapons. One should not limit his combat options for the sake of flair. :P

#12 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

People are awful at the multiplayer in this game. Maybe they're all using gamepads...

#13 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -
@ds8k said:

People are awful at the multiplayer in this game. Maybe they're all using gamepads...

nice!
#14 Posted by PopBot (90 posts) -

@ds8k: Indeed. I believe a gamepad is much more "natural" for this game, and I use it when playing singleplayer, but I was rolling fools as soon as I started on multi while using the mouse and keyboard.

#15 Posted by ds8k (412 posts) -

@CheapPoison: The truth hurts.

Also they really need to include an audio slider for microphones. Not only do I not want my microphone on, I don't want to hear all the idiots that use speakers with a microphone. This isn't Xbox Live, I don't want to hear that shit.

#16 Edited by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I hate unoptimised controls for PC, but seems like Relic actually did a decent job in this case.

#17 Posted by PopBot (90 posts) -

@ds8k: Oh god. Was playing last night and one guy was holding on an inane conversation with someone in the background, one guy's mic was just feedbacking the game sound, and another dude was just breathing heavily. Mute mute mute. I sold my Xbox to get away from this crap.

#18 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

There's tons of stuff to fiddle with. I don't really see a problem.

#19 Edited by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:

Decline. I'm not averse to controller, but there's no excuse to be so lazy as to not optimise the controls for PC.

Huh? Have you played the demo? The game works with keyboard and mouse as well as a game of this genre possibly can, with fully rebindable controls to boot. There has been no laziness or lack of effort poured into the PC version on the developers' part whatsoever. The PC version is hands down the best of all 3.

That said, there are genres that simply lend themselves to better to certain types of controls, with this particular one being more suited to a gamepad (especially if your playstyle is more melee-inclined). And being on PC, that should never be an issue when you have the choice of what input device to use. Plug in a gamepad and enjoy. Don't like gamepads? Mouse and keyboard is still there and works wonderfully.
#20 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Don't really know why this conversation is still relevant with so many 360s around and how easy it is to just plug in a gamepad. Even if you have the crappiest PC on the world (and you don't if you are playing things like this) there's really no excuse not to have a gamepad laying around just if only  for indie games, emulators and even some flash games.

Does it play better with M+K? Great. It doesn't? Plug that sucker in.

#21 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

To me this felt like ONE of the best TPS game on a M&K. Good default keyboard config, precise mouse control, what more could you want?

Opinions, I suppose. But that thread title is a bit shit though.

#22 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@SlasherMan: Was responding to the OP, but based on the some of the other replies seems like most don't agree with his assessment, so I retract the comment.
#23 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Only the sniper parts imo :)

#24 Edited by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

Now i was wondering... 
How many people that game on their Pc use controllers, especially the one who don't own a console.

I don't really mind that but i am really curious how many of the people that don't have a console have gotten a controller just to use it on the pc.

I generally like mouse and keyboard better for accuracy sake. 
Most noticeable for me was when i played assassin's creed on the playstation. I missed quite a few kills that had to happen fast in a large group cause selecting them wasn't too accurate. 

#25 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Wuddel said:

Well, at least that was my impression. While I struggled on Easy with Mouse&Keyboard in the Demo, it has been enjoyable with a gamepad on normal. Heck I think I am even doing better with a gamepad online against people who probably use mouse and keyboard. What are your impressions?

Actually, I think the game defied the odds and actually plays pretty well on MKB.  It took a little getting used to and rebinding a few keys but I have no complaints.  If you tend to go melee heavy though I think it would be easier on a gamepad but I played pretty balanced and MKB greatly improved my aiming.
#26 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I would never play a third person shooter with a mouse and keyboard. feels really awkward, personally. dunno why, I don't have a problem playing a FPS with m+k.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4789 posts) -

I did controller. I really loved this game, but damn it could get a little clunky at times. B button is shared for several functions, and getting titus to run...jeez. Just finished the game.

#28 Posted by Metal_Mills (2990 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse feel great with this game. I'd much rather play it with that than a gamepad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.