Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

A crucial planet size factory is under siege by millions of Orks. As Space Marine Captain Titus, you must lead your soldiers to stem the tide until help arrives.

Tractus Aequoreus?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By white

Were you trying to say Adeptus Astrates?

Or is it water marines? Cause, I dunno, Aequoreus sounds like water.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd assume it's just 'space marine' as marine covers water already.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By alternate

@troll93 said:

To my understanding this is the closest to an actual Latin translation of space marine

No, it is a literal translation. It would never actually be that in latin. Just like you wouldn't translate Centurion to "head of 100" in English.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@alternate said:

@troll93 said:

To my understanding this is the closest to an actual Latin translation of space marine

No, it is a literal translation. It would never actually be that in latin. Just like you wouldn't translate Centurion to "head of 100" in English.

It's a pretty bad literal translation at that, since it means something like "aquatic expanse." The best latin translation for marine in the military sense is more like milites classicus - that's what the Romans called their shipborne infantry, and means something like "fleet soldier." I'm not sure what the latin term for our concept of outer space would be - astrumi, maybe?

Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Frohman

@alternate said:

@troll93 said:

This is very true. Latin words used in Modern English today have a lot of their original meanings lost in time.

To translate Latin straight to English, or visa versa, would sound just like those English subtitles of the Japanese translations of Star Wars.

Lastly I should also point out to troll93, that the language spoken by humans of the year 40,000 is either High Gothic or Low Gothic which is a mixture of Latin, English, slang of that planet, Asian Pacific languages, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.