Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command is a turn based strategy game that space marines chapter, Ultramarines, against their arch enemies Word Bearers of Chaos in an epic war over the planet Rhur III.
In Squad Command, players take control of a pre-set force of 6 units. Before the mission starts, some units can choose one option from a variety of secondary weapons and determine how much ammo they will bring for it (Though bringing more ammo lowers the number of overall action points that unit will start with). The secondary weapons available vary from mission to mission.
Squad Command's combat is dictated by how many action points each unit has. Action points are used for both movement and shooting. Changing the facing of a unit and choosing which stance he is in (standing or crouching) are both free actions though.
Each weapon type requires a certain minimum amount of AP to fire (For example, a Bolter requires a minimum of 4 AP. A Sniper rifle on the other hand requires 8 to fire. ). However, most weapons can have additional AP put into a shot to make it more accurate, especially at long range.
Units that end their turn with enough AP to fire their weapon immediately enter overwatch. Overwatch is represented by the colored cone that forms that unit's front arc of vision. Units that have ended their turn cannot rotate at all, so their facing at the end of the turn is very important if they plan to benefit from overwatch at all. The weapon they had prepared at the end of the turn also matters, for that is the weapon that will be used.
Unlike some other games that also use overwatch mechanics, Squad Command's overwatch is triggered by both movement and shooting. So if a unit starts its turn in an enemy's overwatch radius and does anything at all- he will trigger the overwatch.
Notably, if anything, Squad Command can be seen as a simpler lower-scale version of the original XCOM games given how action points are handled.
Squad command has only two factions, the Space Marines and the Chaos Space Marines. Some of the units each faction has include:
- Space Marines
- Grey Knight Terminators
- Land Speeders
- Land Raiders (Only Multiplayer)
- Cultists (Only Single player)
- Chaos Space Marines
- Chaos Terminators
- Chaos Dreadnoughts
- Chaos Predators
- Chaos Rhinos with Havoc Launchers
- Chaos Land Raiders (Only Multiplayer)
- Single player campaign that consists of 15 missions.
- 9 unique multiplayer maps for Local or Global games, with small, medium and large map variants to cater for games from 2 to 8 players.
- Fully destructible battlefields in 3D graphics.
- Pick from three Space Marine chapters or three Chaos Space Marine Legions to play as in Multiplayer games.
- Over 20 ranged and close combat weapons taken directly from the Warhammer 40,000 universe.