Is anyone else mad about this?

#1 Posted by BigDo6 (166 posts) -
So Warhammer Online just recently decided to not only to take out 4 whole classes.

Choppa
Knight of the Blazing Sun
Hammerer
Black Knight

“Four of the classes that we’ve been working on, we just couldn’t get great,” he continued. “We looked at them and we said these careers are just not great… and we tried, and they weren’t coming out well.”

“We tried,” Jacobs said, “we tried to see if we could make them better and we just couldn’t make them great. So we had a choice. Do we put in some non-great careers just because they are iconic, or we cut them out and put them in post-launch if we can get them right, or do we not put them in at all?”

“I wish we didn’t have to do it,” Mark said, “I really do. Unlike the capital cities [which provided a silver lining in the end], I can honestly say that I really wish we didn’t have to cut them out, but it’s better for them to be cut out than to have classes that aren’t great and that we would spend more time trying to make them great post-launch than we should have to.”

They will also be taking out every city in the game except

Altdorf and the inevitable city (Mythic Invented city).

“A number of months ago,” Jacobs began, “we sat down and looked at where we were with our Capital Cities and we looked at what we were doing with Altdorf and Inevitable, we looked at the Greenskin home, the Dwarf home and we went ‘there’s an awful lot to do here and there are some issues‘.”

“we decided to focus our energies on two capital cities; one for Order and one for Destruction, and make them fabulous, said Jacobs.

All of this in the name of giving the player a more polished game.

Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly, but this makes me really angry. They spend years talking about making the game great at the expense of their time tables and our inpatience, but then when it's time to do that, they just cut the stuff that needs work. Please someone explain to me why this isn't all that bad.

This info is from http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?FEATURE=2041&GAME=239&BHCP=1&bhcp=1

#2 Posted by peterh (52 posts) -

I think the general consensus among those of us who think this is not the end of the world is that:

1. If the other 20 classes are ready, and balanced well against each other but those 4 may never work, then give us the 20 and then build 4 new ones (or re-build the ones that were cut) around the holes that only the hammering of a million live players can reveal. I.E. Don't let the 17% that may never even be fixable get in the way of the 83% that's already done and ready to go out the door by itself.

2. The way the city cut has been laid out actually makes it seem like the devs are glad it happened. Not only does it allow them to incorporate the living cities mechanic into the other two cities (having 2 living cities and 4 non-living cities would just be asking for trouble), it gives us an obvious path for lateral content expansion (they've said that they never plan to add levels beyond 40, so all extra content will involve moving outward instead of upward), and it prevents the endgame content at launch from being too broad and spread out for the limited initial population to coherently take on.

Sure, it sucks that all this stuff isn't going to be in at launch, but can you name any mmo that was completely feature complete out of the box? There's stuff mentioned as "coming soon" in the original WoW manual that wasn't added until after TBC, or, for that matter, still hasn't been. I think, in the long run, the game will be better for this.

#3 Posted by killername (29 posts) -

I am fine with it as there is still more classes then most MMOs have. Also it's better then the Age of Conan way where you release a heap of content (less?) that is so buggy that it is near unplayable.

Also they did not take out every city accept for Altdorf and the inevitable city, they took out every capital but Altdorf and the inevitable city. Evey middle city is still there

#4 Posted by Latentk (32 posts) -

I heard, as you mentioned, that the reason they did this was to make sure the two cities, or 20 other classes in the game were even more awesome. I understand the decision and that still does not make watching them go any easier. The good news is that they plan to re-introduce all of these things in future expansions/patches. They are not gone, just on the backburner for a bit. No worries!

#5 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

Somebody's running out of development time.

#6 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

Why put those classes into the game when you can save them for the first expansion?

#7 Edited by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
BigDo6 said:
"So Warhammer Online just recently decided to not only to take out 4 whole classes.

Choppa
Knight of the Blazing Sun
Hammerer
Black Knight

“Four of the classes that we’ve been working on, we just couldn’t get great,” he continued. “We looked at them and we said these careers are just not great… and we tried, and they weren’t coming out well.”

“We tried,” Jacobs said, “we tried to see if we could make them better and we just couldn’t make them great. So we had a choice. Do we put in some non-great careers just because they are iconic, or we cut them out and put them in post-launch if we can get them right, or do we not put them in at all?”

“I wish we didn’t have to do it,” Mark said, “I really do. Unlike the capital cities [which provided a silver lining in the end], I can honestly say that I really wish we didn’t have to cut them out, but it’s better for them to be cut out than to have classes that aren’t great and that we would spend more time trying to make them great post-launch than we should have to.”

They will also be taking out every city in the game except

Altdorf and the inevitable city (Mythic Invented city).

“A number of months ago,” Jacobs began, “we sat down and looked at where we were with our Capital Cities and we looked at what we were doing with Altdorf and Inevitable, we looked at the Greenskin home, the Dwarf home and we went ‘there’s an awful lot to do here and there are some issues‘.”

“we decided to focus our energies on two capital cities; one for Order and one for Destruction, and make them fabulous, said Jacobs.

All of this in the name of giving the player a more polished game.

Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly, but this makes me really angry. They spend years talking about making the game great at the expense of their time tables and our inpatience, but then when it's time to do that, they just cut the stuff that needs work. Please someone explain to me why this isn't all that bad.

This info is from http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?FEATURE=2041&GAME=239&BHCP=1&bhcp=1

"
Im not pissed off that they removed 4 shitty classes. If AoC removed the Dark Templar, i would be much happier. They did something really good. Sooooo fucking hyped!

I knew the info b4 but thanks for posting =P
#8 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

I'm playing Beta right now and none of this matters.  The game is still great and has 20 Classes to choose from, which is a lot.

They're also tasked with balancing the 2 Factions against each other, which has Classes that are radically different, per side... way much more so than WoW, where you can pick from the same pool of Classes per side (boring, but the PvP sucks anyway, so it doesn't matter).

Why is everyone complaining about this when the game is still the best MMO I've played in a long time?

#9 Posted by Phantom_Crash (298 posts) -

i was annoyed when I first herd about the removal of 4 classes and 4 citys. Now I dont mind as much but I would like the city's to be added in soon, it sounds lackluster only being able to raid 1 city per side, would get a bit boring after a while looking at the same city all the time.

#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

Well since the release date is becoming ever closer they need to get the game ready and probably didn't have time to perfect these things. They might decide to add them in a patch some time after the release.

#11 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Maybe in patches :)

#12 Posted by xxNBxx (973 posts) -

I don't like that they took out the Choppa and don't know why they didn't have a dwarven berserker as a class

#13 Posted by makari (597 posts) -
MB said:
"Why put those classes into the game when you can save them for the first expansion?
"
they gotta save some ideas for any new races, after all :P
#14 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3734 posts) -

This is why game game companies shouldn't tell people what they're doing.  See also: a three year wait for Castle Crashers.

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

It's a surprising move but they're making the game better, surely that can't be anything but good.

#16 Posted by maxomin (5 posts) -

They made a good design decision by not releasing unfinished classes, there are still 20 in the game.

#17 Posted by CyborgNinja (24 posts) -

Meh all that stuff can be added later on, I mean look at WoW theres only 3 cities that people use out of how many?.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.