Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 18, 2008

An MMORPG based on the Games Workshop franchise developed by Mythic Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Some of the features were brutal RvR battles (Realm vs Realm) and siege warfare. Warhammer Online was shut down December 18th, 2013.

Warhammer Online Vs Age of Conan

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By altdimension

Having been very interested in Age of Conan before launch and really getting into it, buying the pre-order (and all that stuff you do when you're excited about a certain video game). When the game launched I was initially Impressed unfortunately after the first 20 levels or so I was amazingly dissapointed and after my first month decided to quit due to the amazing amount of bugs, class balance issues, lack of content etc.

Now Warhammer is not a game i followed, infact the only news i heard of it was when they were cutting some content from launch. But i'm still keeping an open mind. I just want to know how they compare and whether it would be worth me playing it after my bad expereince when Age of Conan,

Thanks.

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SlayingShogun

I think anything is worth playing after AoC, that game crashed and burned and from what I'm hearing the servers are becoming barren really fast. I say go for Warhammer they should have a free month like the mmo's i've played have had. What ever happens I guess just happens for you after that.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Knives

Warhammer was the opposite for me. I was initially unimpressed, but it has grown on me. It's definately a better game than AoC. Both of which are still inferior to WoW, but it's a nice change of pace.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By tokyochicken

I think this game will still create some strong following. Its from the DOAC guys I beleive, its going to have some kind of polish on it.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Schizoid
    Knives said:
    "Warhammer was the opposite for me. I was initially unimpressed, but it has grown on me. It's definately a better game than AoC. Both of which are still inferior to WoW, but it's a nice change of pace."

Warcraft has had years of patches to it's advantage, I'm hoping Warhammer will catch up with updates. Although it's amazing what they've done at launch!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By jakob187

Both have their ups and downs.

AoC had a really bad launch, but with as ambitious as the title was trying to be, that can happen easily.  Moreover, the lack of end-game content has turned people away from it.  The problem with MMO games nowadays is that everyone and their mom will end up being level capped within the first week, so there has to be a reason for them to stick around once they get there.  On the flipside, I heard a lot of positive things about the game, including but not limited to:

-- Great leveling structure (first 20 levels can be changed between day and night for easy questing and such)
    -- Excellent combat system
    -- Challenging PvP

Warhammer, in contrast, had a very solid launch with just a handful of hiccups.  Being in development for 3 years, though...I'd expect it.  I haven't gotten to the end-game content in it yet, as I've found myself enjoying the experience while leveling up.  The servers aren't nearly as populated as a lot of people would like you to believe, so there is this feeling of loneliness in a game that promotes massive group battles and such.  There's also the fact that if you are into PvE stuff...there's not a big focus on it, as almost everything in the game will involve some form of PvP, including quests that take you into PvP territories to get raped.  The positive things I've found are:

-- Incredibly well-built PvP mechanics
    -- Tons of things to level up, so even when you level cap, you've still got tons of stuff to level up on
    -- A world you can completely escape in

The only fear I have for either game is:

AoC - End-game content won't show up like it should and will kill any reason to be high level
    WAR - Too much focus on PvP, and without people on the servers, you won't be able to get some things done

The most I can say is that if you wanna check out Warhammer yourself, go to www.igames.org and look up a local gaming center that is hosting a Warhammer Online showcase.  Up until mid-October, participating iGames centers are offering free 7-day trials of the game (and they are full access trials, not the ones like WoW where you couldn't whisper people and trade and stuff like that).  Check it out and see what you think, because on a 7-day trial, you should easily be able to get to at least level 15 or so and get a good feel for the game.

As far as AoC, the most I can say for THAT is I enjoyed what I had played of the game, but I couldn't find a way to warrant paying $15 a month for it with such a huge lack of content.  More than likely, it will turn into something along the lines of DAoC or Vanguard, where it'll be a VERY hardcore community of folks.

Both are strong games.  You just gotta figure out which one fits you.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By demonbear

I don't know on what server you play in warhammer but we have LOTS of people on mine (Wastelands) on both sides and i never get the feeling of being alone. In fact sometimes its a problem when you just want to cross an RVR zone...

On topic : Both are great games but Warhammer is far more polished than Age of Conan even at this point. AoC might become a good mmo... in a year. Warhammer is good, right now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Branthog

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TomA

I don't like either AoC or Warhammer,they fucking suck ass in comparison to WoW,hands down.GB shouldn't review Warhammer or any MMO cause none of them play it enogough to get a full view of it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

Of course certain things will need to catch up to the complete polish of WoW having been out for 4 years...but even at launch I like Warhammer more than I ever liked WoW. If you're hard into the pvp, Warhammer rapes WoW completely...especially with all the things you can get. Hell your guild ranks up just like you do and gets bonuses for it when leveling too...and between your base abiltiies and talents, you also can spend Renown points from pvp (sorry, RVR!) every time you gain a rank putting a point in a renown tree to increase your stats or give you yet even more bonuses..so its very deep in customization.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    demonbear said:
    "I don't know on what server you play in warhammer but we have LOTS of people on mine (Wastelands) on both sides and i never get the feeling of being alone. In fact sometimes its a problem when you just want to cross an RVR zone...

On topic : Both are great games but Warhammer is far more polished than Age of Conan even at this point. AoC might become a good mmo... in a year. Warhammer is good, right now."
    I'm playing Destro on Monolith (which was a designated Destro server for the iGames 7-day trials, and I continued my account after that was over...and we were PACKED with 30 minute queues at that time), and my Order toon for the moment is on Rakarth...which I don't know the pop for that.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

On my server I'm on destro side, and its very high population, sometimes I gotta wait in a queue to enter -.- never all that long but its annoying a bit. There always seems to be plenty of people around, it just takes forever to get into scenarios than some of the other servers I just experimented other characters on. I'm sure everything will balance out and catch up soon, the game is still brand new, and will still be new a year from now, mmos in their infancy always need more time to blossom than other games. Even with that, I think warhammer is waaay better than WoW is, especially because its just something new,(if you like pvp) and AoC I thought was a good idea at the time, but it just has a lot of problems and even today has more still than warhammer at launch..so I'd say warhammer is the one to go with.

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Royale

Waiting in a scenario queue isn't so bad because you can run around and quest/open RVR/everything else while you are waiting for your scenario.  After you're finished you're deposited right where you left the world and entered the scenario.  Awesome. I'm on a pretty populated server (i've had to wait in a server queue a few times) and last weekend I played for several hours straight and was getting into tier 2 scenarios around every 20 minutes or so.

The RVR in WAR is awesome and I love the way they made it the major emphasis in the game.  I played wow for 3 years since launch and quit because the PVP in that game is absolutely terrible and imbalanced.  It became a grind to me... and I hated it.  Unfortunately, all of my MMO friends are still stuck grinding battlegrounds for honor and marks so they can get their PVP gear so they can compete in arena.  I come into work on Monday and my co-worker tells me how he got his new belt and how he accomplished it by playing Alterac Valley 40 times... How is that worth $15 a month?  I will admit that PVE end game content in wow is awesome... if you have the time to dedicate to it, which I don't.  With WAR, I can pop in, run around for a while, kill some dwarfs and pop out.  It's great.

About AoC... I played it from launch for about 2 months.  It was fun, I don't regret playing it, but something drew me away and I didn't want to go back for whatever reason.  I never really got into PVP in that game and maybe that was a problem.  But from what I hear... things were bad.  But Conan was awesome... and I really liked it.  I just like WAR better.

If you are into PVP and can't bring yourself to give up your full arena season wow chars... just fuckin do it.  You really aren't having that much fun.  Come play WAR.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By OGCartman

Well WAR and AOC are different in many ways.
    I was in the same boat as you with AoC, preordered CE, beta, etc and loved the game. But quit after about level 50. Although it was an extremely fun game.

But im not gonna bore you with a comparission.

I suggest you read the GameFocus, G4TV or GameSpy (because they spent the most time on it) and see if you like it. (It will give u some beginning impressions)
    Or check out some of the Gamespot Gameplay vids, if ur kinda interested, wait for the demo to come out.

But if u do like fantasy MMOs, you surely wont be disapointed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    Cartman said:
    "Well WAR and AOC are different in many ways.
    I was in the same boat as you with AoC, preordered CE, beta, etc and loved the game. But quit after about level 50. Although it was an extremely fun game.

But im not gonna bore you with a comparission.

I suggest you read the GameFocus, G4TV or GameSpy (because they spent the most time on it) and see if you like it. (It will give u some beginning impressions)
    Or check out some of the Gamespot Gameplay vids, if ur kinda interested, wait for the demo to come out.

But if u do like fantasy MMOs, you surely wont be disapointed."
    I would suggest to NOT watch gameplay vids.  I did that before the launch, even with waiting for the game for so long, and the gameplay vids were so boring that they made me think of plugging in Battle March and seeing the most boring combat ever.  It almost turned me off.
    My best suggestion is to seriously go to www.igames.org and look up a gaming center near you that is showcasing the Warhammer Online 7-day free trial keys.  If it's relatively close, take a trip over to one of them and check it out.  That's what sold me back on the game (well, I work at a gaming center, so it helped, lol).

Other than that, there's not really much you can do other than play it.  You can read walls of text all day, but it's not really something you can just TALK about.  You have to play it to get it.
    Grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Grape
    AltDimension said:
    "Having been very interested in Age of Conan before launch and really getting into it, buying the pre-order (and all that stuff you do when you're excited about a certain video game). When the game launched I was initially Impressed unfortunately after the first 20 levels or so I was amazingly dissapointed and after my first month decided to quit due to the amazing amount of bugs, class balance issues, lack of content etc.

Now Warhammer is not a game i followed, infact the only news i heard of it was when they were cutting some content from launch. But i'm still keeping an open mind. I just want to know how they compare and whether it would be worth me playing it after my bad expereince when Age of Conan,

Thanks."
    I am exactly like you. I bought the collectors edition of both. AoC was so disappointing. WAR is a lot better than AoC, but they do have something in common... they both make me want to play WoW again afterwards.

The thing I don't like about WAR is how the map/world is like.. it's pretty much 'zones' :/ I want a world like WoW, open and seamless. WAR's zones are not as bad as AoC but yeah.

WAR is pretty fun though and there are definitely things about it that I love that WoW can't give me (e.g. Tome of Knowledge. I love it) but yeah.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Vinchenzo

I also bought AoC, as well as a 2-month time card. Biggest waste of money. Enjoyed it for 2 weeks, but since the frame-rate was so iffy and the specs so demanding I immediately stopped playing. Waste of $80+.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321

WAR beats it, imo. Hard. I hated aoc, I am loving every minute of WAR.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wuffi

AoC was the biggest waste of my money ever

BlazerRazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By BlazerRazor

AoC is really bad compared to WAR in my mind. After lvl 50+ in AoC you were just random grinding, with no reason to continue.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Kazona
    Schizoid said:
    "Knives said:
    "Warhammer was the opposite for me. I was initially unimpressed, but it has grown on me. It's definately a better game than AoC. Both of which are still inferior to WoW, but it's a nice change of pace."

Warcraft has had years of patches to it's advantage, I'm hoping Warhammer will catch up with updates. Although it's amazing what they've done at launch!"
    I couldn't agree more. Oh and the peepz behind Warhammer are getting an extra thumbs up from me for being so fast in releasing patches to fix bugs and things that annoy people. Seems like they really listen to what people want and try to give it to them as fast as possible. In comparison, all AoC seems to be doing is consolidating their servers instead of focussing on fixing things that make people leave.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Patchinko

AOC had a lot of potenetial but fell woefully short.

WAR had a lot of potential and has, to this point, met initial expectations. Time will tell if they fix the problems that do exist in the game. I imagine they will. While it's not as polished as WOW at this point, it's certainly a progression of the MMORPG genre, which is something I can't say about AOC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.