Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 18, 2008

An MMORPG based on the Games Workshop franchise developed by Mythic Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts. Some of the features were brutal RvR battles (Realm vs Realm) and siege warfare. Warhammer Online was shut down December 18th, 2013.

Why Warhammer isn't WoW

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vlademir
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Feanor

Once people get to play it they will realize how diffrent and how much better it is.  WAR is a lot more immersive than WoW.

AcidicVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AcidicVision

I have a good friend in the Warhammer Beta and he said its crap. Basically another fantasy MMO, but its unbalanced and broken. He was told that the game is already pressed gold and ready to ship and the beta testers are now playing a zero patch. Meaning as soon as you buy the game and install it there will already be enormous patches to fix the broken shipped version.

Games that zero patch typically dont do to well.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Feanor
    AcidicVision said:
    "I have a good friend in the Warhammer Beta and he said its crap. Basically another fantasy MMO, but its unbalanced and broken. He was told that the game is already pressed gold and ready to ship and the beta testers are now playing a zero patch. Meaning as soon as you buy the game and install it there will already be enormous patches to fix the broken shipped version.

Games that zero patch typically dont do to well."
    Well I am in the closed beta and disagree with what his says.  It blows any game away in terms of content for leveling.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

I don't know what your friend's been smoking, I'm in the closed beta and it is just ________!!! I wish I could talk about it but I can't until the NDA is lifted.  I'll say one thing though... enemy warband attacking a public quest spot is just awesome. 

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clean

I never could get into MMO's.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

welll duh. If you want wow go play wow.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

yeah, that's because it's warhammer.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitNRun
    AcidicVision said:
    Except MMOs, which all zero patch, without exception, and then patch every day for 10 of the first 14 days of the game being up, which takes about 25 days in real time.

And that's just WoW, which had one of the better MMO launches I ever played through. Interestingly, Mythic's (developer of Warhammer) last MMO had a stable launch, which is a legendary feat in MMOs. I wonder how they'll do with a much more anticipated game this time around.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coakroach

My hype for this game is building again after I found out that my comp could run it and there are going to be oceanic servers.
    Unlike WoW which can sort of let you get lost in quest-empty zones, it looks to have a very compact and gameplay dense layout.
    I wont be getting it at launch, probably wait for the price to drop a little and for the game to be debugged, but it looks awesome.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By lethalki11ler

WAR= EPIC
    WoW= post-EPIC

LordWhite1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By LordWhite1

Ya WAR looks insanely awesome with it's ambitious RvR gameplay elements.

Bkorns4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bkorns4

Can't wait for WAR

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cube

So excited

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By iGaboru

I need a Mac version NOW!

oedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oedipus

Sup, nerds?

Anyway, the article is way too biased and has to resort to slagging other games to make its point. Yeah, WoW is cartoony, but the art style works and no one is like, "Man, the level 1 starting area has cutesy boars in it! I feel gypped." Grittiness is great if it's pulled off well, and I hope the game does so. But I can just imagine how less-gritty it'll get when someone's calling me gay and I'm getting tells about cheap gold.

Point is, I hope the game is awesome on its own merits. Games are fun to play and I like playing them.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Luke
    AcidicVision said:
    "I have a good friend in the Warhammer Beta and he said its crap. Basically another fantasy MMO, but its unbalanced and broken. He was told that the game is already pressed gold and ready to ship and the beta testers are now playing a zero patch. Meaning as soon as you buy the game and install it there will already be enormous patches to fix the broken shipped version.

Wow, this is just wrong. Many, many great games zero patch, and not just MMO's... Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo II, Soul Calibur IV.

I have been playing Warhammer Online for over a year now, and am still playing it. What does that say? I have played many Careers, on both the sides of Order and Destruction, in all Tiers, to Level 40, and done end game content such as city sieges.

If it really is "unbalanced" and "broken", then I'm not seeing it, because I always have a blast whenever I login. Warhammer Online is fun to play, that's all I know, and it's only going to get better over time like many online games do.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scooper
    Oedipus said:
    "Sup, nerds?

Anyway, the article is way too biased and has to resort to slagging other games to make its point. Yeah, WoW is cartoony, but the art style works and no one is like, "Man, the level 1 starting area has cutesy boars in it! I feel gypped." Grittiness is great if it's pulled off well, and I hope the game does so. But I can just imagine how less-gritty it'll get when someone's calling me gay and I'm getting tells about cheap gold.

Point is, I hope the game is awesome on its own merits. Games are fun to play and I like playing them."
    Exactaly. WoW has an art style that very much works in its favor and that's probably a reason for its success, it's very nice to look at and unimtimidating for the casual player, it can have very nice areas and have very dark and gothic areas but the tone of the art carries across the whole game, nothing seems out of place, and the same can be said for what we've seen in WAR. they're two different games people you can't compare the art styles because both games are going after in many ways different audiences.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sushbag

That article was fucking stupid, some little warhammer nerd crying about his game. WAR is a WoW clone with better pvp and story, that's what it is and no one is changing that.

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By normajean777

how much is it a month?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feanor
    Sushbag said:
    "That article was fucking stupid, some little warhammer nerd crying about his game. WAR is a WoW clone with better pvp and story, that's what it is and no one is changing that."
    fyi WoW is a warhammer clone. The character and level design of WAR have been around for 25 years.  I am pretty sure Warcraft has not been around that much.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Patchinko
    Sushbag said:
    "That article was fucking stupid, some little warhammer nerd crying about his game. WAR is a WoW clone with better pvp and story, that's what it is and no one is changing that."
    Yeah, but even if that were true, it's not really a bad thing. WoW had fragments of a good game seated in a flawed setup, and it sounds like WAR has been designed to use the good and replace the bad from WoW.

Feanor said:
    "Sushbag said:
    fyi WoW is a warhammer clone. The character and level design of WAR have been around for 25 years.  I am pretty sure Warcraft has not been around that much."
    Eh, if memory serves, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was supposed to be a Warhammer game, then Games Workshop didn't like it, so they broke off and Blizzard released it anyway. So you can't give Blizzard too much flack for "cloning" Warhammer when the original game was created specifically to be a Warhammer game!

It's pretty cool that finally, after such a long time, Warhammer looks like it's going to have a better version of a game than Warcraft's version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.