Will my laptop run Warhammer well?

#1 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I'm considering picking up this game today to play with friends, but I'm not sure how playable it'll be on my laptop.  Here are the specs:

Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2ghz
4gb PC5300 DDR2 RAM
256mb 8600M GT video card - DX10

What do you think?  I haven't really played any modern games on it...just been playing Titan Quest: Immortal Throne and Company of Heroes.  Thanks!

#2 Edited by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I think you should be able to run it totally fine.

#3 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

If you can play CoH, then you shouldn't have a problem with this.  I just updated the WAR Showoff Thread letting people know that they've fixed a ton of the performance issues.

I will say that we have some small problems with the computers up here at work that are still using ATI 9800 Pro cards.  The ATI X1800 ones, though, run it great at full high settings.

**EDIT*  HAHA!  Just noticed the "laptop" part.  Still, should be just fine...  Also, if you've got an iGames center close to you at all that is showcasing the game (go to www.igames.org to find out), then stop by there and pick up a 7-day trial key to check it out with.  You'll have to play it in-store, which defeats the purpose of posting your laptop stats...but at the same time, you got a 7-day account, and if you know anyone with the discs, you can just install it from those.  =  /
#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

You shouldn't have any problems running it with those specs.

#5 Edited by MB (13073 posts) -

I run CoH at 1280x720 at medium-high settings with very good framerate.  When I played WOW on this machine I was running it at 1680x1050 with everything maxed out...but then again this was all while I had 2gb of RAM, I just upgraded to 4gb.  You guys are probably right, it should be fine.

#6 Posted by Forcen (1854 posts) -
#7 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -
#8 Posted by Knives (711 posts) -

But unfortunately, you could have the best gaming machine in the world and Warhammer will still look like shit.

#9 Edited by MB (13073 posts) -

So...which classes are totally OP right now, and which ones are so broken I shouldn't even bother?

#10 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

Bright Wizards and Disciple of Khaine are pretty OP for dmg.  To be honest, though...just roll a Warrior Priest and overheal your ass off in RvR...it'll net you the most renown and make things easier on you as you'll be able to heal like crazy but also do a shitload of damage.

As for broken classes...there really aren't any that I know of.  There are just underplayed classes, mainly Sorcerers.
#11 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I just got the game installed and it's patching...Warrior Priest eh?

#12 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

Yeah, my buddy is rollin' one, and he can take on Champions (read: elites) that are two levels above him without worrying about dying.  Quite a few of the healing classes, like WP, shamans, and zealots, can deal a shit ton of damage as well as heal their asses off.  It kinda pisses me off...if it weren't for the fact that my OP axe is now rapin' all of them.  = D

Knives said:
"But unfortunately, you could have the best gaming machine in the world and Warhammer will still look like shit."
Sounds like someone is in denial.  =  /
#13 Posted by pause422 (6239 posts) -

Yeah that system will run it completely fine. Its barely more demading than WoW, only part of it that looks significantly better is the water in the game, and some real time shadows off of your character. Pretty much every class I think is balanced very well, some seem a bit powerful(like bright wizards with their possibilties of +50% crit chance and 100% crit dmg bonus) almost 1 shotting some guys in the first tier scenarios at least, but they are also so easy to kill if you get close to them so its a good balance.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -
pause422 said:
"Yeah that system will run it completely fine. Its barely more demading than WoW, only part of it that looks significantly better is the water in the game, and some real time shadows off of your character. Pretty much every class I think is balanced very well, some seem a bit powerful(like bright wizards with their possibilties of +50% crit chance and 100% crit dmg bonus) almost 1 shotting some guys in the first tier scenarios at least, but they are also so easy to kill if you get close to them so its a good balance."
In T1 content, sure...

Wait 'til T3.  lol  It's a different story then.  Melee DPS are severely neglected.
#15 Edited by pause422 (6239 posts) -

Well I'm in the T2 now, still seems the same mostly, so I guess we'll see. I know everytime I go to fly back and fourth somewhere there are so many areas I have yet to see and I figure it will be a bit different at the max rank scenarios than just T2 definitely, just stating what I know so far .

#16 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

Alright I just quickly created a Zealot and did a quick RVR thing, whatever it is...is it just me or is the interface totally unresponsive and clunky?  I feel like I have to click on things 3 or 4 times to get it to register.

#17 Posted by pause422 (6239 posts) -

Thats really the one thing about the game that I think can use a little work, I don't think the interface is unresponsive as much as the spells and attacks seem to have the slightest smallest bit of lag to go, so naturally you would press them again and again to get them to work..even though it catches up and does register it is just a tiny bit slow, it is very annoying but I believe thats all the problem is..and hopefully it gets better soon, I'm sure it will.

#18 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I'm noticing this when clicking on NPC's to get quests or training, too...it's like I click once or twice and nothing happens, then a few more times and finally the dialog box shows up.  UGH. 

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -
MB said:
"I'm noticing this when clicking on NPC's to get quests or training, too...it's like I click once or twice and nothing happens, then a few more times and finally the dialog box shows up.  UGH. "
I know that with your skills and abilities, you can actually queue them up.  Basically, say I've got my Marauder...and I want to throw my Corruption, then follow it with a Rend, then follow that with a Flail.  Well, I can hit my 1 hotkey, 2 hotkey, and 3 hotkey while the GCD is still turnin' around, and then my next move will come up.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a way of cancelling out those queued moves.  That's one of the reasons you feel the lag of the abilities, and it's something that they've stated they are going to refine once they get the first content patch out (as they still have to add Choppas, Hammerers, Knight of the Blazing Sun, and Black Guard into the game, as well as reworking a couple of dungeons for functionality).  It was weird for me at first too, given that I played WoW for three years...but now, I don't know how I lived without it!!!
As for the NPCs...can't say I've run into those problems at all, other than launch...but I mean, it was launch.  =  /  Now, I can take care of pretty much everything with one click.  There's the occasional glitch.

If you get a chance, play around with the Layout Editor later.  Very cool thing to have in the game.  =  D  Amazed that more reviews haven't mentioned the amount of user-friendly content like that has been added into the game in order to prevent the need for a mod community going crazy!  lol
#20 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I'm still trying to figure the basics out...like, what is Renown, and why do I want it?

#21 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

Renown is PvP-based XP basically.  The higher your renown, the more badass gear you can buy from Renown gear merchants.

#22 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

Ok...I'm character level 4 and renown 3, now.  When do I start to get to buy stuff?  Who do I buy it from?  I'm still in the starting town doing quests.

#23 Edited by tokyochicken (849 posts) -
MB said:
"I'm noticing this when clicking on NPC's to get quests or training, too...it's like I click once or twice and nothing happens, then a few more times and finally the dialog box shows up.  UGH. "
I had this problem to what you gotta do is go to the user settings or inteface and find the option that says "click through self". Whats happening is when you try to click on an NPC you also end up clicking on your own character selecting your own character rather than the NPC.
#24 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -
MB said:
"Ok...I'm character level 4 and renown 3, now.  When do I start to get to buy stuff?  Who do I buy it from?  I'm still in the starting town doing quests."
This is one of the minor problems a lot of people have had with the game:  things aren't explained to you very well.  I personally don't mind, but that's because I explore games like crazy.  lol
As to answering your question, whenever you see a renown gear merchant, you can talk to them and if they have gear in there for you to buy, you'll know.  Other than that...it's basically PvP like crazy, quest like crazy, hook up with a guild, and just generally kick ass until you get to T4 content so you can sack the other races' cities and capture their leader.
#25 Edited by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
MB said:
"Ok...I'm character level 4 and renown 3, now.  When do I start to get to buy stuff?  Who do I buy it from?  I'm still in the starting town doing quests."
I suggest trying out the WAR Forums, thats where i asked all my newbie questions and got some good resaults quick.

Dont worry about buying stuff, you wont need to buy anything.

After you get to a pretty high Renown level, go to the seige towers to spend your renown points (+ intelegence, strenth, etc) or buy stuff with renown.

Just max you influence bars wherever you go, and ul get some sweet armour.

Have fun.
#26 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -
tokyochicken said:
"
MB said:
I had this problem to what you gotta do is go to the user settings or inteface and find the option that says "click through self". Whats happening is when you try to click on an NPC you also end up clicking on your own character selecting your own character rather than the NPC."
Wow that's going to help me so much...thanks, doing that now.

This game is leaving a lot to be desired so far...if I didn't just drop $50 on it, it would be uninstalled already.
#27 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

Alright...I can't find the option to click through character at all.  When I go to User Settings, the only thing under General is UI Scale.

#28 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

Scroll down.

#29 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

Ah I found it...I didn't even see that I could scroll down in that window : /

#30 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

Neither did I at first.  However, you get titles if you click on yourself 100 times (called "Ow My Eye") and 5,000 times (called "The Vain").  You can only get them with the clipping turned on.

I can't wait to start killing people as a chicken.  = D
#31 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

wow - I have heard mixed things about this game but this thread isn't really selling it

posting here in case I need it later though.

#32 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Neither did I at first.  However, you get titles if you click on yourself 100 times (called "Ow My Eye") and 5,000 times (called "The Vain").  You can only get them with the clipping turned on.
I can't wait to start killing people as a chicken.  = D
"
Hehe
Aint i sexy?
#33 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

hehe  you have no breasts.

Once you hit 40, you head back to the lowbie areas, just in the RvR zones where they are questing, and beat their asses up as a chicken.  You unlock titles for that.  You also get titles for killing chickens as a chicken.  lol
#34 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I got the "Ow  My Eye" one...I didn't even realize what it was for! 

#35 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

LOL  Tome of Knowledge, sir.  That's your K button...unless you changed your key bindings.

P.S. - did I ever tell you how kick ass it is that you've got the Ænima eye as your avatar?

<<<<  Tool fanboy
#36 Edited by pause422 (6239 posts) -

IT has some really cool things MB, I can't say of course its something for everyone, because games in general aren't like that..but I'd say give it a chance definitely, rank one character up to at least 10-15 and keep getting better renown gear, do public quests too, and just constantly stayed queued up for scenarios from everything you do....I really enjoy it more than I ever did WoW, when I continued to play WoW it was always more so just to talk to a certain few people, after a point doing anything gameplay related alone in that game just felt so boring..I find Warhammer completely the opposite.

There is a so much stuff that won't even be apparent to people though at first, and thats probably one of the things a lot of people don't see..like if you look at your meter between the 2 factions, it will show how every little thing you do, from winning scenarios, to taking certain areas for your faction, to public quests, they all help push the favor for your side..that carries over everywhere as well and affects a lot.

ps-Hey Jakob , what i'm wondering though is have you actually heard somewhere when they do the updates those classes are getting put it? Because I know initially people were mad when they head the choppas and other class or whatever were taken out..I just assumed they were taken out permanently and would never be implemented, adding new classes is a pretty big thing.

#37 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

Probably the most valid complaint I've seen about this game is that there isn't enough documentation.

#38 Posted by ThePhenomenal1 (467 posts) -

i have to say though, nice laptop specs. better processor and video card than my current desktop.

#39 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

So yeah...I'm done with this game.  After logging 15 hours or so, I have no desire to ever log in again.  The interface is just too clunky and unresponsive for me to sink months or years of gameplay into this MMO.

I just cancelled my subscription and I sincerely doubt I'll be logging in again while my initial 30 days is active.  I really regret not waiting for a free trial to come out.

#40 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Please tell me you played more than 1 class.
I played the Ironbreaker in beta, then had the same feeling as you to quit.

#41 Posted by MB (13073 posts) -

I played as a Zealot.  The problem isn't the class...it's the interface and it's responsiveness that is the problem, not to mention the absolutely terrible combat system.  Even SWG was better than this...WOW is leaps about bounds better in almost every aspect.  I know it's not exactly fair to compare WAR to a game that's been out for three years, but still...this game has a long way to go.  This feels like an Alpha or early Beta stage of the game.

I wouldn't keep playing this game if it was free.

#42 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Ouch, sounds like you really hate the game.
I have no idea what ur talking about but i hope you got 2 an average level.

Do you / Anyone remember how EQ.....WoW.....Or any MMO was at the first levels. I almost lite my WoW disc on fire after killing boars at level 5. But then you realize how amazing the game is when ur doing better quests and killing cooler monsters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.