Will you play?

#1 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

Do you plan on playing Warhammer Online? Post why/why not.

#2 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

Im playing it right now.

#3 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

Strongly considering it. It looks fun. MMORPGs in general don't keep my attention for long because the gameplay is usually pretty limited, though. We'll see.

#4 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I'm in the closed beta too.  Yes I will definitely be buying this game, no question about it.  If something happens and I can't play this game when it comes out, I will explode.

#5 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

I'm not going to play it... played wow for 2 years.. Now i'll just stick with my trusty 360 which i dont' have to play for billions of ours to get anywhere.

#6 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Plan? I've been playing Beta since August 2007... 1 year ago.

Already done Tier 4 Level 40 End-game Content and City Sieges, with multiple Careers.

Game's still awesome.

#7 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -
luke said:
"Plan? I've been playing Beta since August 2007... 1 year ago.

Already done Tier 4 Level 40 End-game Content and City Sieges, with multiple Careers.

Game's still awesome."
Wont that ruin it a little when you get the full game? lol

You've already experienced a big chunk of the game.
#8 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

Helz yeahhhh Ill be playing it for sure

#9 Edited by Za3r0 (100 posts) -

how do you get the beta?


nevermind. i read the official site

#10 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I'll have to make that judgement if I get into the beta/wait until it comes out.

#11 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yes! I very much plan on playing WAR.

I was a big WoW fan. Did the whole progression from Molten Core to Sunwell. I've beaten Illidan early on and had to wait nearly a half a year for fresh endgame content. Playing a game for a half a year, that I've already beaten, kinda sucks. WoWs engame scheme sucks. That's why I quit playing WoW. M'uru and Kil'jaeden may stay alive as far as I'm concerned. No need for me anymore to put in 100+ hours into a boss encounter to master 15min of gameplay each. It's a bad deal...

WAR on the other hand has an ingenious endgame scheme. Roughly half of the launch content are intended for 'endgame' gameplay. So there is a metric shit ton of  it in place, once I hit level-cap. Also,  it's designed to be an extremly rich social experience, instead of the elitist/seperatist approach of WoW. Instead of playing with 30+ elitist players to beat the PvE content or teaming up with a handful of people for arena to get the PvP endgame glory, it's all very seperatist. I never had the feeling of being a member of the 'Horde', I was just another dude chasing the carrot at the stick. At least I got to eat it before I quit.^^

Anyways. I believe WARs endgame will give an entire half of the server population as team mates. No matter how I chose to play WAR. Solo, in a guild, with a couple of friends, casually, elitist or any combination of  it, I will contribute to the ongoing WAR. Also, all I got to do, to experience the endgame content, is to go there. A capital city is being sieged? All I need to do, is to go there and participate. A keep is being attacked? Just be there, team up with your realm mates and take part in any kind of gameplay the endgame has to offer.

WARs endgame scheme is valid for anyone. Elitists and casuals. Solo'ers and Guilds. It doesn't split up the community. It binds it together. Warhammer will be biggest and best gaming bonding ritual to ever hit the online gaming market! WHAAAAGH!!!

#12 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
Psynapse said:
"I'm not going to play it... played wow for 2 years.. Now i'll just stick with my trusty 360 which i dont' have to play for billions of ours to get anywhere."

This is just not true. Unlike WoW, WAR isn't about being an elitist/freak and putting in tons of time. You can do that, but it won't make as big a difference in your gameplay experience. Everything is available all along, for all players and every playstyle.
#13 Posted by Rowr (5480 posts) -

Depends on if it does anything interesting.

With all the possibilities of massively online games, im still yet to say anything which truly excites me.

#14 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

Yea I have the collectors edition preordered since April. BUT. Ive had the collectors edition of several other MMORPGs preordered before, just to end up playing them for maybe 2 weeks and then realizing how stale and woody they are all compared to WoW which I put over 3 years into. I played Guild Wars for a while then quit, I played Conan for a while then quit and I played LOTR-O for a week or so then quit. They all felt like they were seriously lacking eaither in the social plane or in the content, art or gameplay department. The closest thing to playing another MMORPG Ive come so far is actually Hellgate:London which I played for months and months before stopping.
The thing is tho, I think WAR might actually be comparable to the organic and social feel of WoW without trying to be a clone...but then again Ive said that before.
Its really all about the "feel" of an MMORPG. It has to "feel" right. And evey game in this genre that has been released after WoW dosent feel organic, social or rewarding enough. Many of them also lack peronality. You dont feel like youre playing YOUR character, you´re just one of a big bunch of exacly the same looking dudes.
Now again, WAR looks like it has way more personality and "patriotism" for your faction, race and class so yeah, I have high hopes for this one.

#15 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

I won't.

I know its the bad place to state an opinion like this and i'll get flamed for it but hey, its my opinion.

I tried most mmos that came out in the last 3 years now and every launch is the same. Its terrible when it launches and gets better after at least 6 months.

And Warhammer had a very, very bumpy road so far. They closed a beta, which is something i've never seen before, they chopped content and classes to make launch, which is something that's also a first in a long time.

Most mmos launch stuff anyway and promise they'll fix it in the next couple of weeks but now warhammer as what, two capitals? and four classes down the dumpster?

Oh and Mythic or not, this game is associated with EA and we all know what happens to mmos related to EA after a couple of years, do we?

I might be wrong, and i hope for those who are looking forward to this game that I am, but i'll pass on this one.

#16 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
demonbear said:
"I won't.

I know its the bad place to state an opinion like this and i'll get flamed for it but hey, its my opinion.

I tried most mmos that came out in the last 3 years now and every launch is the same. Its terrible when it launches and gets better after at least 6 months.

And Warhammer had a very, very bumpy road so far. They closed a beta, which is something i've never seen before, they chopped content and classes to make launch, which is something that's also a first in a long time.

Most mmos launch stuff anyway and promise they'll fix it in the next couple of weeks but now warhammer as what, two capitals? and four classes down the dumpster?

Oh and Mythic or not, this game is associated with EA and we all know what happens to mmos related to EA after a couple of years, do we?

I might be wrong, and i hope for those who are looking forward to this game that I am, but i'll pass on this one."
Almost every game has a closed beta stage.  Whats rare is that they let you sign up for a chance to get into it. 


And I do agree with you about cutting the content they said they would have.  But it is not gone forever, it will be implemented later on in the game via a patch.  But what I told myself when I heard the news is that they would not have cut them if they did not have to.  If those classes messed balance up, and if there where problems with the other capitals I am happy that they are not putting them in until they are ready.  It will just make the launch a lot smoother. And dropping the other capitals is not a big deal, if you would have played the game you would know this.

And the only real thing EA has done to this game is stamp its name on it to try and collect some nice MMO money.  This game is Mythics baby and it shows. 

And I can personally vouch that this game is less buggy than Age of Conan is right now, and by a large amount.   The preview weekend had a couple problems and they acted pretty quickly on it.  They actually totally fixed one of them within 12 hours.

But don't let other MMO experiences jade your thoughts about this game.  It brings a lot of new things to the table, and it has a large amount of content for all levels.
#17 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

I look to play it.

#18 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I won't be playing it anytime soon, atleast not this year for sure because...

  • Its a fantasy MMO and i'm a little tired of fantasy settings in MMO's. Had this been a Warhammer 40k MMO then i might just have preordered it for that alone. But the fantasy setting is getting dull for me and i'm bored of it.
  • A lot of MMO launches are in a word, terrible. Too many glitches, bugs and issues that make me feel as if i'm playing the beta and not the final release. I know after awhile a lot of the issues get sorted through weekly or monthly patching but that still means i've spent money to play a game for however long in a beta-like state.
  • Already before the release there has been a lot of content axed which was going to be in the game upon release. This means it will likely get added in the future but knowing EA it will be some expansion or other method in which we have to pay to access it. I highly doubt we'll get it free in a patch or other update.
  • There is only one class in the game that is actually an Ork based class, this disappoints me too much.
  • I'm tired in general with MMO's and the whole "pay to play" style. MMO's are fun for the first few times you play different classes, max out the level cap on them and go to some end game raids but eventually it all becomes a grind fest and you realise for all the months you've spent money to play this one game you could have afforded that item you've been saving up for to buy.

Generally i'm just sick and tired of MMO's since their all the same if i'm perfectly honest.
#19 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
Hamz said:
"I won't be playing it anytime soon, atleast not this year for sure because...
  • Its a fantasy MMO and i'm a little tired of fantasy settings in MMO's. Had this been a Warhammer 40k MMO then i might just have preordered it for that alone. But the fantasy setting is getting dull for me and i'm bored of it.
  • A lot of MMO launches are in a word, terrible. Too many glitches, bugs and issues that make me feel as if i'm playing the beta and not the final release. I know after awhile a lot of the issues get sorted through weekly or monthly patching but that still means i've spent money to play a game for however long in a beta-like state.
  • Already before the release there has been a lot of content axed which was going to be in the game upon release. This means it will likely get added in the future but knowing EA it will be some expansion or other method in which we have to pay to access it. I highly doubt we'll get it free in a patch or other update.
  • There is only one class in the game that is actually an Ork based class, this disappoints me too much.
  • I'm tired in general with MMO's and the whole "pay to play" style. MMO's are fun for the first few times you play different classes, max out the level cap on them and go to some end game raids but eventually it all becomes a grind fest and you realise for all the months you've spent money to play this one game you could have afforded that item you've been saving up for to buy.

Generally i'm just sick and tired of MMO's since their all the same if i'm perfectly honest."
Calling all MMO's the same is like calling all fps' the same.
#20 Posted by Meresin (147 posts) -

I played DAoC and WoW for two years each. I've run on the MMO treadmill long enough for one lifetime...

#21 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Well I didn't care about WAR until I saw the recent cgi trailer.
That was cool and got me looking into the game and what its all about.

Now ive preordered it :)

#22 Posted by Wijeeba (87 posts) -

I wish I could play it, but I don't trust myself with MMOs after WoW... I'll stick with xbox games

#23 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

In my personal opinion it looks bland and lacks taste, so I'm probably going to stick with WoW.  

#24 Posted by Turtlefuzz (257 posts) -

I'm probably going to check it out, I think it looks pretty cool. And a lot of good things coming out of the Beta, I think I'll look up the ratings and reviews when the game is released.

#25 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -
Hamz said:
"I won't be playing it anytime soon, atleast not this year for sure because...
  • Its a fantasy MMO and i'm a little tired of fantasy settings in MMO's. Had this been a Warhammer 40k MMO then i might just have preordered it for that alone. But the fantasy setting is getting dull for me and i'm bored of it.
  • A lot of MMO launches are in a word, terrible. Too many glitches, bugs and issues that make me feel as if i'm playing the beta and not the final release. I know after awhile a lot of the issues get sorted through weekly or monthly patching but that still means i've spent money to play a game for however long in a beta-like state.
  • Already before the release there has been a lot of content axed which was going to be in the game upon release. This means it will likely get added in the future but knowing EA it will be some expansion or other method in which we have to pay to access it. I highly doubt we'll get it free in a patch or other update.
  • There is only one class in the game that is actually an Ork based class, this disappoints me too much.
  • I'm tired in general with MMO's and the whole "pay to play" style. MMO's are fun for the first few times you play different classes, max out the level cap on them and go to some end game raids but eventually it all becomes a grind fest and you realise for all the months you've spent money to play this one game you could have afforded that item you've been saving up for to buy.

Generally i'm just sick and tired of MMO's since their all the same if i'm perfectly honest."
You obviously haven't seen much of WAR.
#26 Posted by nickzed (22 posts) -

nope.  wrath of the lich king :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.