Wow and warhammer comparison.

#1 Edited by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

World of warcraft came out 4 years ago and Warhammers not even out yet and based on the below pic warhammers graphics dont look any better than wows so there trying to market a 4 year old game!!!! why cant we get a new mmo with a little effort put in am i right?

I want a new ultima online!!!! !!! made by rich garriot

Comon we need someone to take blizzs mmo down comon rockstar make a gta mmo.
please rate positively
#2 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Well honestly i'd have to say that Warhammer Online looks visually superior to World of Warcraft, i admit the Beta doesn't but i believe they purposely dumbed down the graphics for the beta (this is the case in most betas anyway) since they were looking into gameplay mechanics and general tech stuff. Honestly looking at that picture the armour on the WAR Orc looks a lot more detailed than on the WoW Orc, hell the tusks on the WAR Orc look more detailed than most of the WoW Orc itself.

However a pretty MMO does not mean it will be a major hit, Age of Conan proved this, so what i think people should really be doing if they are going to compare WAR with WoW is to look at the gameplay in both games. Because at the end of the day its gameplay thats the most important aspect of ANY game, not the graphics. Graphics are the icing on the cake while gameplay is the yummy sponge and filling.

Honestly i think people need to stop this mentality that every new MMO must be a "World of Warcraft Killer" as this will just cause the game to fail in expectation for many players if it turns out to be similar to WoW. WoW has been around for so long now and built up such a huge financial and community success that it honestly isn't going to instantly be killed off by a new MMO.

And for the record, i have to say this as the internet nerd in me demands it, Warhammer is not a copy of World of Warcraft in terms of visual similarities. Warhammer has been a tabeltop game for years before Blizzard ever thought about the Warcraft universe. Sorry i just had to get that out there as i've seen far too many people cry about WAR looking like WoW when infact its Blizzard who borrowed, possibly in homage, from Warhammer and GamesWorkshop.

#3 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Well honestly i'd have to say that Warhammer Online looks visually superior to World of Warcraft, i admit the Beta doesn't but i believe they purposely dumbed down the graphics for the beta (this is the case in most betas anyway) since they were looking into gameplay mechanics and general tech stuff. Honestly looking at that picture the armour on the WAR Orc looks a lot more detailed than on the WoW Orc, hell the tusks on the WAR Orc look more detailed than most of the WoW Orc itself. cont...
I just hate Blizzard so much i want a wow killer A man can dream though.
#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Well if you are a die hard PC gamer then there is two developers you should love, worship and pray to before you go to bed. Valve and Blizzard. So hating on Blizzard just because you dislike WoW seems a little weird to me considering how WoW has proven PC games can be insanely profitable if handled correctly.

#5 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

No i am an indy gamer i dont like seeing games make millions when indys cant even give there games away

#6 Edited by Hulk (428 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"No i am an indy gamer i dont like seeing games make millions when indys cant even give there games away"
Could you give Hulk some examples of indy games that are the same quality as some of the bigger Valve/Blizzard titles, and that deserve to make millions like them?
#7 Edited by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
#8 Posted by CyborgNinja (24 posts) -

I loved Warhammers art/character style from what I played in OB, Blizzard needs to give off their ass and not make WoW look cartoony anymore (which warcraft never looked cartoony...except maybe the pandas).

#9 Posted by pause422 (6190 posts) -

Besides the initial interface and scrolled back behind character view of someone easily compared to WoW, the game is very very VERY different. It has way more interesting pulls than WoW ever did, if you chose to you could level up solely on RvR. Its a really good system, that no matter what level you are, you can queue for a scenario and still have a ton of fun in a crazy all out war..its not anything like WoW's BG's, its not about someone out gearing you that makes them superior, its just about how you mold your class to define what they do best, and teamwork.

The visuals are much much better as well, looking at a quick screenshot or youtube quality video you won't be able to see that though. Also, the fact that you said Warhammer is 'stealing' the look of characters from WoW, um.. you do know that Warhammer started in 1983 and the art for most of their races and such hasn't changed since then right? So if the idea for anyone 'stealing' anything happened it was WoW stealing from Warhammer when it was created, though I think thats a dumb word because plenty of games take things from others and make them their own, they are both talented developers, and both games are fine..but trust me Warhammer is hugely different.

#10 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
pause422 said:
"Besides the initial interface and scrolled back behind character view of someone easily compared to WoW, the game is very very VERY different. It has way more interesting pulls than WoW ever did, if you chose to you could level up solely on RvR. Its a really good system, that no matter what level you are, you can queue for a scenario and still have a ton of fun in a crazy all out war..its not anything like WoW's BG's, its not about someone out gearing you that makes them superior, its just about how you mold your class to define what they do best, and teamwork.

The visuals are much much better as well, looking at a quick screenshot or youtube quality video you won't be able to see that though. Also, the fact that you said Warhammer is 'stealing' the look of characters from WoW, um.. you do know that Warhammer started in 1983 and the art for most of their races and such hasn't changed since then right? So if the idea for anyone 'stealing' anything happened it was WoW stealing from Warhammer when it was created, though I think thats a dumb word because plenty of games take things from others and make them their own, they are both talented developers, and both games are fine..but trust me Warhammer is hugely different."
Where did i say they stole anything? i dont even like blizzard besides diablo 3.
#11 Edited by pause422 (6190 posts) -

I was using it as an example, because at first glance, someone who is just overlooking stuff will automatically go " oh look, warhammer is just stealing stuff from WoW" when its not. And actually...no this won't be a WoW killer, there's just too big of a casual player base in WoW that enjoys it for that kind of thing alone...the reason WoW's gameplay never evolves or takes any risks like Warhammer is..but there is definitely a lot of people looking for something new, and a lot of people playing WoW that have been waiting to check out Warhammer for the last year+..and even just the initial 5 minutes of hopping into the game, you immediately feel its better than WoW, they are catiering to the casual player base, this is the game they will go to if they want some awesome PvP that can get crazy huge in areas, with hundreds vs hundreds..its really gonna be the pull or pass for many of them, the casuals will keep raiding and PVEing  WoW, and the ones who love PvP and are sick of the unbalanced gear base no effort combat in WoW will move to Warhammer, for actual balanced crazy shit that amps it up 5x anything WoW ever had.

I think however as I said, this won't kill WoW...its just too big atm, give it a year or two, but I'd say this will finally be the other mmo to stand up against it, side by side and not fall and die immediately.

#12 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
pause422 said:
"I was using it as an example, because at first glance, someone who is just overlooking stuff will automatically go " oh look, warhammer is just stealing stuff from WoW" when its not. And actually...no this won't be a WoW killer, there's just too big of a casual player base in WoW that enjoys it for that kind of thing alone...the reason WoW's gameplay never evolves or takes any risks like Warhammer is..but there is definitely a lot of people looking for something new, and a lot of people playing WoW that have been waiting to check out Warhammer for the last year+..and even just the initial 5 minutes of hopping into the game, you immediately feel its better than WoW, they are catiering to the casual player base, this is the game they will go to if they want some awesome PvP that can get crazy huge in areas, with hundreds vs hundreds..its really gonna be the pull or pass for many of them, the casuals will keep raiding and PVEing  WoW, and the ones who love PvP and are sick of the unbalanced gear base no effort combat in WoW will move to Warhammer, for actual balanced crazy shit that amps it up 5x anything WoW ever had.

I think however as I said, this won't kill WoW...its just too big atm, give it a year or two, but I'd say this will finally be the other mmo to stand up against it, side by side and not fall and die immediately."
If you want a great indy mmo go to www.endless-online.com its 2d but its a ton of fun and like nothing ive ever seen. and its also ad free and doesnt cost a penny.
#13 Posted by atheistium (352 posts) -

I've tried Warham online and it's rubbish the interface and experience is just like WOW and I found wow really boring :/ so if you want a WOW clone try warhammer online.

#14 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

In my opinion WoW's graphics are still acceptable, Lich King is introducing dynamic shadows along with other visual improvements.
Warhammer Online's graphics are also acceptable, really nice visual style, portrays the source content well.
It comes down to what I know; I've played WarCraft games since I was 12 when Orcs & Humans was first released, I've never played anything Warhammer except for the 40k: Dawn of War RTS series; I know virtually nothing about the Warhammer universe; have no emotional connection to it, it also comes down to gameplay, from what I've read in interviews with Mythic they are encouraging RVR and PVP; to obtain entrance into the highest end game PVE raid dungeon for example requires control of a number of RVR events, I've little interest in PVP or RVR, WoW offers me all the PVE I desire with some minor deviations when I'm bored thanks to Battlegrounds. I'll give Warhammer a try, cap out a character or two, play WoW at the same time, once I'm done with WAR I'll cancel and be back totally with WoW, same thing as Age of Conan; capped a character and left.
Although, yeah; it would be great to get a visual remake of Ultima Online, those wide unchartered days of MMOGs are long gone, now it's all very organised, policed, in UO there were some truly awesome moments such as dragging dozens of dungeon monsters to the entrance, waiting for someone to come in, exiting the dungeon and unloading a bunch of chairs and tables from my backpack to block them inside the dungeon to be killed. Would love a UO remake.

#15 Posted by pause422 (6190 posts) -

Like I said, first impressions of the game the second you look at it..it will look very similar, because almost every mmo thats ever been released has been the same thing..it has the kinda turn based but mmo style combat, and of course the exp is going to be the same..you have to actually get into the game and do some pvp and public quests to realize the difference, and it is a pretty big difference. As I said the deciding factor will be whether or not you actually have an interest in the PvP that Warhammer offers, since its really the meat of the game and the big focus, if you don't, you won't see any reason to stay with it, but plenty do want that..so its all just personal taste really.

#16 Edited by Royale (157 posts) -

It's the PVP focus that does it for me.  I played WoW since launch until just a few months ago. I tried to get into the WoW pvp, but grinding battlegrounds was not for me and the Arena just seemed ridiculously unbalanced.  I was hoping that AoC would provide me the PVP that I wanted but it did not.  With what I have played of WAR, it's looking to be the game that fills the MMO PVP void that exists for me.  That does not mean that it will be the best ever.  I had high hopes for AoC but didn't find it there.  WAR could be the same, but as of right now, it's looking great.

Warhammer is not wow.  It doesn't look like wow, it doesn't feel like wow, the PVP is vastly different than wow.  Sure the basic quest structure is just like wow and every other MMO out there for that matter, but the quest goals and story lines are what makes WAR stand out for me... from a PVE stand point.  From the first quest you accept, you start to feel the conflict that is existing between the factions and it's awesome.  Anyone who overlooks the awesome backdrop that Warhammer has created is seriously missing out on one of the best parts and the great integration of PVE and PVP.

A quick example:  One of my favorite quests so far was a very simple quest in the Greenskin starting area.  The quest required you to go down to the local mud pit and gather some mud and deface a dwarf statue with it.  The quest was quick and simple.. but it's quests like it that add so much to the feel of the game.  What other race would be assigned a quest like that but the Greenskins?  So far, the Greenskins are my favorite race to play because they have such a great character.

#17 Edited by Demokk (153 posts) -
Royale said:
.A quick example:  One of my favorite quests so far was a very simple quest in the Greenskin starting area.  The quest required you to go down to the local mud pit and gather some mud and deface a dwarf statue with it.  The quest was quick and simple.. but it's quests like it that add so much to the feel of the game.  What other race would be assigned a quest like that but the Greenskins?  So far, the Greenskins are my favorite race to play because they have such a great character."
I have to agree with that (even though I haven't played Warhammer Online). WoW quests need.. "something" to make them a lot more interesting. After playing Diablo II for the first time and comparing the quests; I complete Diablo II quests because I want to know more of the story, I want to finish the quest, rather than just completing them for the XP like in WoW.

WoW quests feel generic.

I heard that the story progression in Wrath of the Lich King is a lot better, but we'll just have to wait and see..
#18 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

After watching a vid of Warhammer, the only notable difference seems to be that the experience bar is on top of the screen rather than the bottom.

#19 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
Royale said:
"It's the PVP focus that does it for me.  I played WoW since launch until just a few months ago. I tried to get into the WoW pvp, but grinding battlegrounds was not for me and the Arena just seemed ridiculously unbalanced.  I was hoping that AoC would provide me the PVP that I wanted but it did not.  With what I have played of WAR, it's looking to be the game that fills the MMO PVP void that exists for me.  That does not mean that it will be the best ever.  I had high hopes for AoC but didn't find it there.  WAR could be the same, but as of right now, it's looking great.

Warhammer is not wow.  It doesn't look like wow, it doesn't feel like wow, the PVP is vastly different than wow.  Sure the basic quest structure is just like wow and every other MMO out there for that matter, but the quest goals and story lines are what makes WAR stand out for me... from a PVE stand point.  From the first quest you accept, you start to feel the conflict that is existing between the factions and it's awesome.  Anyone who overlooks the awesome backdrop that Warhammer has created is seriously missing out on one of the best parts and the great integration of PVE and PVP.

A quick example:  One of my favorite quests so far was a very simple quest in the Greenskin starting area.  The quest required you to go down to the local mud pit and gather some mud and deface a dwarf statue with it.  The quest was quick and simple.. but it's quests like it that add so much to the feel of the game.  What other race would be assigned a quest like that but the Greenskins?  So far, the Greenskins are my favorite race to play because they have such a great character."
If balanced pvp is what you want buy some counter strike source.
#20 Posted by Justaddwater (291 posts) -

The enthusiasm that the developers have makes me very excited about the game, they seem like they made the game that they genuinely wanted to make, and that they knew the mmo genre inside out. Mind you this could be just great pr. I'll get it and play it, the amount of end game pve is what will keep me with it though.

#21 Posted by Royale (157 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"After watching a vid of Warhammer, the only notable difference seems to be that the experience bar is on top of the screen rather than the bottom."
It seems every MMO out there right now has the same general mechanics... quests, experience, leveling up, skills ... etc.  There is a bigger difference that goes farther than the core (especially fantasy) MMORPG game play.  Anyone who has played the game can tell you that.
#22 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Just from playing the Beta for an hour and a half, I already like WAR waaay more than I ever liked WoW.

#23 Posted by VitaminWaterYum (381 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"pause422 said:
"Besides the initial interface and scrolled back behind character view of someone easily compared to WoW, the game is very very VERY different. It has way more interesting pulls than WoW ever did, if you chose to you could level up solely on RvR. Its a really good system, that no matter what level you are, you can queue for a scenario and still have a ton of fun in a crazy all out war..its not anything like WoW's BG's, its not about someone out gearing you that makes them superior, its just about how you mold your class to define what they do best, and teamwork.

The visuals are much much better as well, looking at a quick screenshot or youtube quality video you won't be able to see that though. Also, the fact that you said Warhammer is 'stealing' the look of characters from WoW, um.. you do know that Warhammer started in 1983 and the art for most of their races and such hasn't changed since then right? So if the idea for anyone 'stealing' anything happened it was WoW stealing from Warhammer when it was created, though I think thats a dumb word because plenty of games take things from others and make them their own, they are both talented developers, and both games are fine..but trust me Warhammer is hugely different."
Where did i say they stole anything? i dont even like blizzard besides diablo 3."
The only game you like from them isn't coming out for a few years? That's odd.
#24 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
Levio91 said:

Richard Garriot has released an MMO last year, its called Tabula Rasa... I don't think he should release an Ultima MMO... I played Tabula Rasa for about a month and got over it...
#25 Edited by HitNRun (344 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"World of warcraft came out 4 years ago and Warhammers not even out yet and based on the below pic warhammers graphics dont look any better than wows so there trying to market a 4 year old game!!!! why cant we get a new mmo with a little effort put in am i right?

please rate positively"
This post fails in a pretty epic fashion.

Please considering the following:
1) You're comparing two MMOs, and all you can talk about is the the graphics? Who gives a shit about the graphics?
2) The Warhammer graphics are much, much better than WoW's. Not up to the 2008 par, but then again WoW wasn't up to the 2004 par.
3) The genius of WHO is that the superficial gameplay is so similar to WoW, but the objectives are so much more fun. It much more resembles (DAOC - Suck) than (WoW + More Good).
4) You would know all of this if you played the game, instead of biting your teething ring over the idea that people are out there liking a game without your permission.
#26 Posted by CyborgNinja (24 posts) -
atheistium said:
"I've tried Warham online and it's rubbish the interface and experience is just like WOW and I found wow really boring :/ so if you want a WOW clone try warhammer online."

Warhammer (franchise) came out in 1980, Warcraft 1 came out in 1994....whos copying who?.

Everything that WoW has (mods ect ect) WAR vastly improves including the UI which ***** slaps WoWs UI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.