Wrath of Heroes is a three-faction game that lets three teams of six players each go into battle in an MMO-like combat scenario. Rather than build a character, players select from preset heroes that fall into different classes and categories. Around 25 characters are said to be in the works for the game's launch.
Characters will have five abilities, one of which is spammable, with the other four working on cooldown timers. After a player dies, he or she can switch to a different character, allowing players to compensate for mismatches on the fly. Some locations from BioWare Mythic's full MMO, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, will appear in Wrath of Heroes. Different arenas will have different objectives, allowing for capture-and-hold matches, team deathmatch, and so on.
WOH will be released as a " Play4Free" game, which is EA's branded term for free to play. A batch of characters will be available for use at any given time, and that batch will be rotated around over time, giving players a chance to try out plenty of different characters without having to pay money for them first.
On February 27th 2013, it was announced that as of March 29th 2013 (just shy of a year from its initial launch), Wrath of Heroes will be shut down and will be no longer available for play. Despite the impending termination of the game, Mythic Entertainment will continue to support the game with new hero releases up until server shut down.
Additional Game Information
Players earn rewards for their account as they play matches. Matches reward experience points, money that can be used in the store to purchase characters costumes and other items, and treasure chests that grant perks, tactics, and additional abilities.
At the end of each match a row of spinning slot machine like wheels appears. Depending upon certain goals achieved during a match more wheels are awarded to give the player rewards. Just for competing one wheel is granted. Further wheels are granted based on the map played on. Additional objectives can include being in the top 3 players of the game, joining the match in a group, achieving a certain number of kills or captures during the match, and so on. On top of this the game offers quests that you can cash in for more wheels.
Quests are general goals not specific to a single map that the game encourages you to complete. There can be up to three quests available at any given time. They include things like joining a game as part of a group 5 times, killing 5 enemies, gaining 40 assists, win 5 games, use a perk as a specific race, gain assists as a specific race, etc. Each time an achievement is completed and cashed in for an additional reward at the end of a match a new achievement takes it place. Players may "remove" an achievement if they don't feel like it is something that are able, or want to, complete. Removing an achievement removes it from your list of three active quests but leaves the slot empty for 24 hours to keep players from abusing them to search for easy to do quests and cash in too often.
Players are also granted cumulative rewards each consecutive day that they log in. For logging in one day you are granted one wheel spin reward. For logging in the next day you are granted two wheel spins, and so forth up to five days. This rewards and encourages players to log in every day for free rewards.
Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes consists of three maps, each one representing a different style of Player vs Player vs Player. The map, and thus the game type, is chosen at random by the game when you join a new game and players have zero input on what is chosen. During play characters can swap between any heroes they have access to, free characters and purchased characters, between deaths.
Mourkain Temple is a map consisting of three flags and an artifact. The object is to be the first team to reach 250 points. Players stand near the flags to capture them; the more players near a flag the faster it captures. The more flags a team controls the more points the team earns per kill. As long as a team controls a flag they can also capture an artifact in the center of the map by standing near it. Control of the artifact gives a steady stream of points to the team over time for as long as they control the artifact. Control of the artifact can be lost by losing all of your flags on the map or by another team taking control of the artifact.
Black Fire Pass
Black Fire Pass is WO:WoH's version of capture the flag. Each of the three teams has a tower with a rune inside of each, with a fourth rune in the center of the map. The goal is to reach 250 points in the time limit. Points are acquired by killing enemy players or by holding three runes in your tower at once. To hold three runes at a time requires stealing runes from the other teams. While you gain additional points for killing enemy players, it is a considerably slower source of points than holding three runes at once.
Arena is the third game type and is as it sounds, an open arena map. The goal, as in the other two maps, is to be the first to reach 250 points. The only way to gain points in Arena, however, is to kill enemy players. Favors of the Chaos Gods appear on the map periodically and grant special benefits to the player that picks them up; such as healing, invulnerability, extra damage, etc.
There are currently 30 available characters in WO:WoH. More characters will become available as time goes on. Characters are available for play under one of two conditions; either a character is free to play or you must purchase a character to play them. Playing a free character however still comes with limitations.
Free characters are kept from being customized with special abilities, perks, and tactics which help give your character kill streaks and additional passive effects such as a chance to deal damage over time whenever you hit an enemy. Free characters also are not allowed access to the mastery tree which allows you to spend mastery points to modify your hero in specific ways that resemble skill trees from many RPGs such as World of Warcraft, The Old Republic, Rift, etc.
- Slash - Basic melee attack that deals 72 damage and has no cooldown.
- Chop - Melee attack that deals 111 damage. 5 second cooldown.
- Zealous Protector - Melee attack that deals 111 damage and snares the target. The damage increases to 150 and the snare becomes a root if the target is not attacking you. 10 second cooldown.
- Pounce - Leap attack that deals 150 damage and if the target is not attacking you will knock them prone for 3 seconds. 20 second cooldown.
- Elite Bodyguard - An area buff that, for 10 seconds, redirects 75% of all damage dealt to allies to you which is then healed over 10 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
- Speed of Asuryan - A passive effect that causes Aessa to deal damage back at enemies whose attack she dodges in melee range.
- Bolstered - A passive effect that grants Aessa 50 additional health for each other High Elf in your party.
- Clobber - Basic melee attack that deals 25 damage and grants 1 stack of Clobberin' and has no cooldown.
- Clobberin' - A passive, stacking, buff that increases damage dealt.
- Where You Goin'? - A 3 second sprint with a 5 second cooldown.
- Yer Nothin'! - A melee attack that deals 25 damage, greatly reduces the target's damage for 6 seconds, and grants 1 stack of Clobberin'. 10 second cooldown.
- I'm Da Biggest! - A melee attack that deals 55 damage and restores 69 hit points; both of which are increased with Clobberin'. 10 second cooldown.
- Down Ya Go! - A melee attack that deals 115 damage and knocks the target down for 4 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
- Bolstered - A passive buff that grants 50 additional hit points for each other Greenskin in your party.
- Bash - Basic melee attack that deals 33 damage and snares the target for 2 seconds and has no cooldown.
- Bonecrusher - A melee attack that deals 72 damage and for the next 5 seconds the target takes an additional 33 damage on each hit. 5 second cooldown.
- Bull Charge - Sprint for 4 seconds; your next attack during the sprint deals an additional 72 damage and ends the sprint effect. 10 second cooldown.
- Tenderizer - A melee attack that deals 150 damage, or 300 damage against a knocked down opponent. 15 second cooldown.
- Deafening Bellow - A magical area effect that silences all enemies in front of you for 6 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
- Devourer - A passive effect that heals you for half of your total hit points any time you kill an enemy.
- Empowered - A passive effect that increases all damage by 5% for each other ogre in your party.
- Fireball - Basic ranged magic attack that deals 20 damage.
- Fiery Blast - Ranged magic attack that deals 68 damage and knocks the target back. 5 second cooldown.
- Rain of Fire - Ranged magic attack that repeatedly deals 30 damage and snares enemies at the target location. 10 second cooldown.
- Flame Breath - A short range magic attack that deals 15 damage repeatedly to enemies in front of you for 3 seconds. 23 second cooldown.
- Conflagration of Doom - Ranged magic attack that roots the target in place for 4 seconds and causes 22 damage to all enemies around the target.
- Murderer - A passive effect that causes Felicia to deal 25% more damage to Chaos heroes.
Glowgob da Green
- Life Leaka - A ranged attack with no cooldown that deals 25 damage to the target and heals 63 hit points divided between nearby allies.
- Shroom Tossin' - An area heal based on Glowgob that heals 213 hit points divided between all nearby allies. 5 second cooldown.
- 'Ere We Go! - An area buff that gains Glowgob increased damage for 5 seconds whenever a nearby ally deals damage. 10 second cooldown.
- Look It's Mork! - An area heal that heals nearby allies for 62 hit points repeatedly for 10 seconds. 20 second cooldown.
- Mork's Touch - A self buff that absorbs 267 damage over 4 seconds, repeatedly dealing 24 damage to nearby enemies for the duration. 30 second cooldown.
- Blessed - A passive effect that increases your healing by 10% per other Greenskin character in your party.
- Warpstone Scraps - A ranged attack that deals 28 damage with no cooldown.
- Weeping Blade - A melee attack that deals 94 damage and has a high chance of critically hitting if the target is below 50% health. 5 second cooldown.
- Warpstone Stars - A ranged attack that deals 61 damage twice. 5 second cooldown.
- Flinging Frenzy - A ranged attack that repeatedly damages the target, dealing up to 155 damage over 1 second. 10 second cooldown.
- Smoke Bomb - A self buff that causes you to become stealthed (invisible) and immune to damage for 5 seconds. 30 second cooldown.
- Skavenbrew - A passive, constant effect that allows Ikkrik to run faster than other heroes.
- Empowered - A passive effect that increases damage by 5% for each other Skaven character on your team.
- Doombolt - A magical ranged attack that deals 28 damage and grants 1 charge of Impending Doom.
- Impending Doom - Each stack of Impending doom grants 10% additional critical hit chance to a max of 10 stacks, or 100% chance of a critical hit. Any time Ilanya deals a critical hit with any attack other than Doombolt all Impending Doom charges are consumed and lost.
- Gloomburst - A magical ranged attack that deals 94 damage. 5 second cooldown.
- Word of Pain - A magical ranged attack that causes 112 damage over 7 seconds and then an additional 94 damage after the effect ends. Critical hits from Word of Pain do not consume Impending Doom charges. 10 second cooldown
- Power of Darkness - A magical ranged attack that deals 127 damage and knock the target straight up in the air. 20 second cooldown.
- Shadow Blades - A magical ranged attack that deals 155 damage over 2 seconds and grants 5 charges of Impending Doom each time it deals damage. 30 second cooldown.
- Empowered - A passive effect that increases Ilanya's damage by 5% for each other Dark Elf character on your team.
Lucian The Blade
- Hack - A melee attack with no cooldown that deals 30 damage.
- Practiced Attack - A melee attack that deals 69 damage and moderately reduces damage you take for 3 seconds. 5 second cooldown.
- Double Swing - A melee attack that deals 66 damage twice. 10 second cooldown.
- Wounding Slash - A melee attack that deals 66 damage and causes the target to bleed for 84 damage over 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown.
- Powerful Swing - A melee attack that deals 138 damage and increases all damage dealt to the target for 8 seconds.
Nethys The Unsated
- Blood Siphon - A melee magic attack that deals 33 damage and grants 1 stack of Siphoned Blood
- Siphoned Blood - Quickly restores health over time, stacking up to 3 times.
- Tainted Blood - A melee magic attack that deals 72 damage for each stack of Siphoned Blood. 5 second cooldown.
- Domination - A melee magic attack that deals 72 damage and increases your chance to critically hit for 7 seconds. 10 second cooldown.
- Quickblood - An 8 second buff that grants Nethys increased movement speed and causes all of your attacks to deal an additional 33 damage. 20 second cooldown.
- Seduction - An area magical attack that staggers all nearby enemies for 6 seconds and restores 106 hit points for each effected enemy. 30 second cooldown.
- Empowered - Your damage is increased by 5% per other Vampire character in your party.
- Flail - A melee attack that deals 33 damage with no cooldown.
- Concussive Jolt - A melee attack that deals 72 damage and snares the target for 3 seconds. 5 second cooldown.
- Unstable Blast - A magical ranged attack that roots the target in place for 4 seconds and deals 88 damage over the duration of the effect. 10 second cooldown.
- Flames of Fate - A magical ranged debuff that prevents the target from receiving healing for 7 seconds. 20 second cooldown.
- Terrible Embrace - A magical attack that deals 150 damage and pulls the target towards you into melee range. 30 second cooldown.
- Prolonged - A passive effect that increases the duration of all of Volrik's abilities by 10% for each other Chaos character in your party.