Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 10, 2012

Announced at Gamescom 2011 by BioWare Mythic, this new Warhammer game will be Play4Free. Wrath of Heroes was shut down on March 29th, 2013.

Wrath of Heroes is in Open Beta; Are You Playing?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FateOfNever

So I've been in the Wrath of Heroes beta for quite a while and it just recently went to open beta. Jeff mentioned the game very briefly on the bombcast before last and it got me wondering if anyone in the GB community is playing this game or not.

So, how about it, are you playing? Do you have any interest in playing? Have you already given up on the game? Did you not even know that this was a thing until you saw this topic?

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matthias2437

I did not know it was in open beta but now that I do I definitely will. I really enjoyed the Warhammer MMO PVP, and I like hero action games so this should be right up my alley.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

ooooooooooo I did not know this was in open beta. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Love the Warhammer universe and I thought WAR had some good potential...but...ya know

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm like 90% sure it's officially in open beta now (if it's not then sorry!) My only real qualm with the game thus far is how expensive the heroes are. It's free to play and can buy heroes with gold you earn by playing (or with real world money) but the heroes are like 10$ a piece with real cash or are about 30,000 gold (or 60,000 gold in the case of one hero which I still cannot understand why he is priced so high.) And it can take quite a while to earn that much money. They do at least give you one fully unlocked hero (Lucian) for doing the tutorial and you get free heroes that aren't fully unlocked (can't equip them with special skills or perks or abilities or anything) but are still completely playable.

It's a pretty fast moving game and matches don't last too long, but it's free so I figure it's at least worth checking out for people that like Warhammer pvp or just like PvP games that are good for short quick games. Or that just like free PvP games.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Sayishere

Enjoyed War pvp, so naturally having a blast with this. Sayshan is my I'd, add me if ya down.

Myomoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Myomoto

The game's client isn't launching for me :<

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm still waiting for Amenadresh to come back as he was probably my favorite character from earlier in the beta, but Drulg is tempting me as I've always liked ogres. Glowgob being free to play now has made things more interesting as far as I'm concerned though (even if I do find the game somewhat frustrating with how strong Glowgob seems to be in most groups.) My ID's CallahanWho by the way, for anyone else that's playing, feel free to add me.

@Myomoto said:

The game's client isn't launching for me :<

Hm. Anything more specific than that on what it's doing? I guess I'd say try uninstalling and downloading it again?

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By adoggz

ooooo i should try this out

Myomoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Myomoto

@FateOfNever said:

Hm. Anything more specific than that on what it's doing? I guess I'd say try uninstalling and downloading it again?

I've tried reinstalling a couple of times. Whenever I launch the patcher I can see that the process suddenly disappears from the task manager. Weirdly enough, I managed to get into the game one time...

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FateOfNever

@Myomoto said:

@FateOfNever said:

I've tried reinstalling a couple of times. Whenever I launch the patcher I can see that the process suddenly disappears from the task manager. Weirdly enough, I managed to get into the game one time...

That's weird, and a total bummer. I'm not sure I have any advice for that. I guess your best bet would be to contact EA support or whatever. Unfortunately, and this is one thing that bugs me a fair bit, Wrath of Heroes somehow doesn't have their own set of official forums still. Maybe that will change once the game goes from open beta to full launch. But, with no official forums there's no help to be had there really, which is why I suggest EA support might be your best bet if you care enough to want to try and get it working.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FateOfNever

I guess the total lack of anyone apparently playing this game in the GB community means I am going to have to do a blog write up of the game later this week (now that I'm done being a crazy person and playing The Old Republic for 5 days straight trying to get some stuff done) that assuredly almost no one will read.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

@FateOfNever said:

I'm like 90% sure it's officially in open beta now (if it's not then sorry!) My only real qualm with the game thus far is how expensive the heroes are. It's free to play and can buy heroes with gold you earn by playing (or with real world money) but the heroes are like 10$ a piece with real cash or are about 30,000 gold (or 60,000 gold in the case of one hero which I still cannot understand why he is priced so high.) And it can take quite a while to earn that much money. They do at least give you one fully unlocked hero (Lucian) for doing the tutorial and you get free heroes that aren't fully unlocked (can't equip them with special skills or perks or abilities or anything) but are still completely playable.

It's a pretty fast moving game and matches don't last too long, but it's free so I figure it's at least worth checking out for people that like Warhammer pvp or just like PvP games that are good for short quick games. Or that just like free PvP games.

@FateOfNever: @Myomoto: @adoggz: @Sayishere: @BabyChooChoo: @matthias2437:

I have checked out the game and yes, the heros are god damn expensive.

For those of who are wondering the Lowest amount of in game currency you can get is approximately 55 gold for playing a match which you get in a random "roll".

You get this single "roll" for completing the match and based on how you did during the match you can earn more rolls, which can give you the chance at more gold or items.

Factors such as if you were in a group, if you got first place, if you got a killstreak of 6 or more, etc. these can all give you bonus "rolls" at the end of the match.

For each roll you earn you get a chance of randomly getting 55 gold, more gold, or a chest with an item in it. I think the max number of rolls you can earn in a match is 6, so lets say (to keep it simple) you get 6 rolls of 55 gold so you get 330 gold, which isn't bad, that means you will be able to purchase and permanently unlock a hero in 90 games and with each game lasting around 12 minutes that will take you 18 hours of playing the game, which really.... when you think about it a person could play 2 hours a day and get a hero unlock within 9 days... which is fine.

But lets paint a more realistic picture.

You have 1 free hero for completing the tutorial, which has no stun or snare... in the PVP MMO world we can classify this hero as "worthless". So chances are you will only get 1 or 2 out of the 6 rolls, you get 2 rolls for playing a round (not going afk) and another roll for winning the round (so 2 rolls). Lets go with the worst case scenario, you only get 1 of the 6 rolls for all the games you play.

That's 55 gold per match, to get 30 000 gold you need to play 545 matches, and with each match lasting around 12 minutes that's 6540 minutes, which is 109 hours of playing the game. At 2 hours of playing the game a day it will take you *drum roll* duh duh duh* .... 54.5 DAYS ! ALMOST 2 MONTHS OF PLAYING THE GAME !

To compare with League of Legends you earn on average 100 in game currency for playing a match (whether you win or lose), a top champion costs 6000 in game currency and each match takes around 25 minutes to complete. So with LoL you would have to play 60 matches, which would take you 1500 minutes, or 25 hours. Playing 2 hours a day, it would take 12.5 days. So just under 2 weeks.

Now of course I ignored things like "The First Win of the Day" which gives a boost to the currency you earn for one match, so my numbers will be a bit off but you can clearly see to put this scientifically.... this is fucked up.

With my math, it takes you 4.36 times as long to earn a champion in WoH than it does in LoL and many people would agree 12.5 days isn't really short but it's fair... if you really like the game you can play it for 12.5 days without too much issue and still have the thrill of unlocking content... but 2 months.... fuck!

That's less carrot tied to on stick type encouragement for the player as it is carrot placed on top of a mountain.

End rant.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FateOfNever

@G0rd0nFr33m4n: The only things that really help lower the time is 1) if you log on every day. Once you hit 6 days in a row logging on, you get about 500g each day automatically. 2) If you join every game in a warband it also helps. I'm not trying to justify the prices, because I still think they're rather fucked up, but it is something to keep in mind.

That said, without doing any math because it's really late and I'm really lazy - I'll still say that having participated in the closed beta I was given 20,000 gold when the game went into the final phase of closed beta right before open (which carried over to open) and it still took me until now to get enough money to be able to afford a hero that's not Glowgob (which I still feel it's bullshit that the only true support hero in the game is priced twice as expensive as all the others. They punish you for wanting to play a particular play style that's not damage, but, I'll get to that in a sec.) So I still feel that the prices seem ludicrous for someone that wasn't in the closed beta. Since you brought up LoL, that's the exact thing that my mind went to the first time I played the game and started looking at hero costs. I haven't played a lot of LoL, barely any, in fact, but when I played LoL I at least had the impression that "oh hey, I could totally buy a hero if I just sat down and played this game seriously for like a week." where as WoH gave me the impression of "I was given money to make it two thirds of the way to buying a hero and I think this will still take me longer to buy a hero than it would in LoL.

The other thing, and I may add this to a blog about my impressions of WoH, is that while I understand they're still rolling out the heroes every week or two, I think they need to do a much better job of diversifying their hero base. There are 6 heroes right now that are all melee offensive characters. There are 3 ranged offensive characters. There is 1 healer/support.

I get it, they have to release things slowly. But what is available is very focused on "play melee." It's also been hinted that the next character will probably also be a melee offensive character (but, we'll see.) Yes all the heroes play differently, but if I'm someone that, say, prefers a more support role - I'm pretty much just out on my ass right now. Glowgob is the only hero that heals/supports and he has DOUBLE the price of the rest of the heroes. If I enjoy ranged classes I'm limited to one of three right now. If you like melee, you're in luck, as that seems to be what they want people to play right now.

I hope, truly I hope, that a time will come when enough of the full roster of heroes is released (there are many from the closed beta that haven't made a return yet and there are brand new ones that they'll be releasing too) that the hero line up will be diverse enough to actually offer something for everyone. I also hope that at some point in the future they lower the prices to something more modest. I get they want people to pay real money for the heroes; they need to make money off this game somehow after all, but I'd feel better if it were the other things that were a lot harder to afford (skins, chests, boosts, so on) so that people could at least unlock and play heroes that they want to play more reasonably than look at the carrot on the mountain and dream of a day that they can own ONE hero besides Lucian (and then hope that a new hero doesn't come out the next week that they like even more than the one they just dropped 30-60k on.)

All that said, I still feel the core mechanics of the game are promising. The fighting is enjoyable (or can be. It kind of sucks when you get a real bad team, or have people drop on you, or things like that) and I feel it has a lot of potential. There are just things that need to be worked on for it to go that extra distance, which is why I still think people should check the game out so that they can maybe give feedback to Bioware Mythic and help get those changes made. Or not. You know, whatevs.

DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DTKT

The game just ends up being a clusterfuck when 3 teams engage in the middle of the map. Healers are absolutely overpowered. A team with at least one healer will almost always come out on top.

Basically, the game comes down to CC spam + heal spam. And that'S how you win.

ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ack

the only thing that is bumming me out about the game is yeah how expensive everything is, I'm used to the league of legends model which is super reasonable

they should charge less for heroes and just more skins to buy, not being able to even use mastery points because I can't afford any heroes I want makes it feel like I'm being punished for not paying money

e: and yeah, healers seem overpowered especially in the team deathmatch map, and since there's only one hero that can heal right now (who is also the most expensive) it's like "oh you don't have a guy on your team that shelled out money for glowgob? haha well have fun"

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jakonovski

Big LoL fan here, and I have to agree that the unlock model basically kills the whole thing. Arena games live by their character selection, and WoH fails so very hard on all fronts.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fRAWRst

@DTKT said:

The game just ends up being a clusterfuck when 3 teams engage in the middle of the map. Healers are absolutely overpowered. A team with at least one healer will almost always come out on top.

Yea, the lack of a skill ceiling on most characters means its whoever has the most chain stuns/heals or groups. There are very few moments in this game where YOU feel like you outplayed another human being.

Declarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Declarius

@fRAWRst said:

@DTKT said:

Yea, the lack of a skill ceiling on most characters means its whoever has the most chain stuns/heals or groups. There are very few moments in this game where YOU feel like you outplayed another human being.

Been playing for a few days and this is entirely true. Really disappointing as the game itself is fun until a team stacking stuns/pull/heals comes and gives you no chance at winning. Couple that with the game breaking perks and it's extremely unfriendly to new players, and only good for the few groups of players that have all that unlocked. Playing as Glowgob, I'm often on the unfair team, but even then I can see it's completely broken.

The perks, like LOC, aren't even hard to get with a good group and near instantly kill entire teams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.