Why Does Everyone Love This Game?

#1 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

If I hadn't spent £20 on this game I would NEVER keep coming back to it on the weekly occassions that I TRY hard to like this game and here is why:

  • Cumbersome controls make aiming virtually impossible.
  • The plane can't decide whether to invert it's crosshair or not.
  • Planes are rendered virtually useless when you get shot out of the sky every two seconds.
  • Maps are ridiculously huge making learning them impossible.
  • 20 minute matches are ridiculous. Constantly looking at the clock wishing it would end is not fun.
  • You can hit a dude with a missle and he won't die but you know sure as hell if he hits you you'll die.
  • The game filters etc are so confusing. There is no dialogue telling me what I'm doing, I'm never sure if I'm playing unranked or ranked -- and hell if I'm investing 30 minutes (!!!) of my time into a match I want to be ranked on the one kill I'll get.
  • The game sets astronomical targets for ranks and yet rewards you with like 10 points per match because you spend at least 12 minutes either being hit wiht missles from other planes or running across a gigantic map.
  • The action is so slow and loborious it almost hurts.

The most unforgiving, brutally difficult, unrewarding learning curve I've ever known. Buying this game I was expecting a third-person Halo but was rewarding with a slow, tiresome, cumbersome game that's virtually inaccessible to anyone who's played it for under 300 hours. The thought of playing this game for 300 hours fills me with dread.

Now many of you will probably say I'm not enjoying it because I'm shit -- and that may be true. But that shouldn't be the case should it? I was shit at COD4 and Halo 2 when I started out but it made me want to keep playing. I looked forward to each new game. Found myself improving, learning the map, learning the opponents. I was enjoying myself.

10 hours into this game and every second of it has felt like a chore justifying my purchase. How can people enjoy this game?
#2 Posted by kingmasters (410 posts) -

maybe you just suck at it I like warhawk alot and I love the 30 minute matches

#3 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

I suck at it, yet I'm having a blast. I don't know what his problem is...

#4 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"I suck at it, yet I'm having a blast. I don't know what his problem is..."
I also am not good at the game but really enjoy it. Not everyone will enjoy this game I suppose.
#5 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

LOL, yeah you probably just suck at the game, no offense, I was just like you in the beginning. When you suck you think everything is so unbalanced, cheap, unfair, and just flat out ridiculous. But seriously, get into it, and oh my god its amazing.

This game has a steep learning curve, thats all. It truly is an amazing game. You should watch some pros play on youtube or something, it is so intense.

So yeah, dont complain until your actually good, I have yet to meet someone who is GOOD or even average at the game who doesn't like it. It is so balanced, probably one of the most balanced games this generation.

Just practice, it really takes skill to become good, and once you are, trust me, it is on hell of an experience.

#6 Posted by pause422 (6178 posts) -

Also don't try to compare i to a third person halo...its so far from anything such as that. Its way closer to a Battlefield PC game in third person..the controls as fine also, the  warhawks themselves just a long while to get good at, and extremely hard to ever master them..getting shot out of the sky a lot at first isn't any big deal, others know how to maneuver them amazingly and can avoid almost all lock ons. I really hope you continue to give the game a chance, it is definitely worth the money..if not, I know everyone has their own preferences.

#7 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

I agree 100%.

Also, try putting pro flight on. :P

#8 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"If I hadn't spent £20 on this game I would NEVER keep coming back to it on the weekly occassions that I TRY hard to like this game and here is why:

  • Cumbersome controls make aiming virtually impossible.
  • The plane can't decide whether to invert it's crosshair or not.
  • Planes are rendered virtually useless when you get shot out of the sky every two seconds.
  • Maps are ridiculously huge making learning them impossible.
  • 20 minute matches are ridiculous. Constantly looking at the clock wishing it would end is not fun.
  • You can hit a dude with a missle and he won't die but you know sure as hell if he hits you you'll die.
  • The game filters etc are so confusing. There is no dialogue telling me what I'm doing, I'm never sure if I'm playing unranked or ranked -- and hell if I'm investing 30 minutes (!!!) of my time into a match I want to be ranked on the one kill I'll get.
  • The game sets astronomical targets for ranks and yet rewards you with like 10 points per match because you spend at least 12 minutes either being hit wiht missles from other planes or running across a gigantic map.
  • The action is so slow and loborious it almost hurts.

1. You don't really aim for most of the weapons. It's all done for you with auto-aim.
2. Really? I've never had that problem. As someone else stated, switch to pro flight.
3. Piloting is actually the most important role in the game. If your team sucks in the air, you're gonna lose the match.
4. You don't need to know everything on the map to be a good player. All you need to know are the locations for the power weapons, where most of the vehicles spawn, and where most of the action takes place. These aren't very hard to memorize.
5. Long matches are great because I get constant action and waste less time sitting in a lobby.
6. Practice.
7. It's all pretty straight-forward. Before entering a match, look at the trophy on the side. If there's a slash on it, then it isn't ranked. If it's just a trophy, it's ranked.
8. This is what adds replay value. And there are so many different kinds of awards to get; this adds so much depth to the game. If you see a general in this game (which is extremely rare) you know that guy really worked his ass off. Ranks mean something in this game, unlike other games which level you up too quickly.
9. If you don't like it... play Halo.
#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I don't love this game...so therefore everyone doesn't love it. :P

#10 Posted by mosespippy (4095 posts) -

I'd say wait for the flight tutorial to come out on August 27th.  Right now it just sounds like you suck.  There are also good tutorials on youtube.

#11 Posted by Clean (2356 posts) -

Never played it. I have heard good things about it.

#12 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
mosespippy said:
"I'd say wait for the flight tutorial to come out on August 27th.  Right now it just sounds like you suck.  There are also good tutorials on youtube."

Lol, I agree. If I had my PS3 right now I would teach you a bit. Really it is all about practice and knowing what to do and how to do it. I have taught some friends and they were hooked a week or so after I played with them and helped them out.

But yeah, wait for the tutorials, they might help.

Even better though! Watch this tutorial video, very helpful for noobs. Doesn't cover the bigger stuff but it should help you on the basics.

  
#13 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I take all your points but for me a video game should be intuitive. You should learn it by playing it: example - the more you play a Tekken or Virtua Fighter the more moves you learn and the better you become. Could you imagine learning how to play Virtua Fighter before PLAYING Virtua Fighter? I know it's a TOTALLY different experience to compare but I expect to LEARN and WATCH tutorials for programs like Cubase and Photoshop. I expect to learn Maths. A video game should be playable from the start but reward those that put the time in to get better. It might even whack some tutorials INTO the experience (which they are doing and I'm glad). A video game should never (in my opinion) have you requiring the help of "pros" or online videos to help you.

That's my opinion I'm afraid. I'm happy to LEARN how to use computer applications or school subjects but there is not a chance in hell I'm going to learn HOW to play a game. The learning experience should occur the more you play it.

I'm so surprised so many people enjoy it. I know it's opinion etc but I just find it dull and frustrating -- and the fact I'm being told to watch a tutorial video (the link is gratefully accepted all the same) before I can even attempt to enjoy it just frustrates me further.

Admittedly if I was actually ENJOYING the game in the first place I MIGHT be tempted to watch a tutorial but the fact is the game has shown me nothing but frustration so why should I put time in to it in the first place?

EDIT: I did watch that tutorial though. It was quite interesting I guess. It's not like I don't WANT to like this game because I really do. I just wish it was more accessible. I'm glad they've decided to put tutorials into the game.

EDIT 2: Just spent 2 hours in a rookie server and enjoyed my time there much more. Still feel like the matches are a bit long but oh well.

#14 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"I take all your points but for me a video game should be intuitive. You should learn it by playing it: example - the more you play a Tekken or Virtua Fighter the more moves you learn and the better you become. Could you imagine learning how to play Virtua Fighter before PLAYING Virtua Fighter? I know it's a TOTALLY different experience to compare but I expect to LEARN and WATCH tutorials for programs like Cubase and Photoshop. I expect to learn Maths. A video game should be playable from the start but reward those that put the time in to get better. It might even whack some tutorials INTO the experience (which they are doing and I'm glad). A video game should never (in my opinion) have you requiring the help of "pros" or online videos to help you.

That's my opinion I'm afraid. I'm happy to LEARN how to use computer applications or school subjects but there is not a chance in hell I'm going to learn HOW to play a game. The learning experience should occur the more you play it.

I'm so surprised so many people enjoy it. I know it's opinion etc but I just find it dull and frustrating -- and the fact I'm being told to watch a tutorial video (the link is gratefully accepted all the same) before I can even attempt to enjoy it just frustrates me further.

Admittedly if I was actually ENJOYING the game in the first place I MIGHT be tempted to watch a tutorial but the fact is the game has shown me nothing but frustration so why should I put time in to it in the first place?

EDIT: I did watch that tutorial though. It was quite interesting I guess. It's not like I don't WANT to like this game because I really do. I just wish it was more accessible. I'm glad they've decided to put tutorials into the game.

EDIT 2: Just spent 2 hours in a rookie server and enjoyed my time there much more. Still feel like the matches are a bit long but oh well."
I felt the same as you when I first played, haha. It just takes practice. I learned most of my stuff just playing the game. The only tip I've learned from the internet was to turn on pro-flight. I do admit though, the game has a nasty learning curve, but it's all rewarding.

In fact, if you're looking for more action and faster paced battles, try to find matches with smaller map setups.

Just keep playing it, because trust me, it does get better. It's kinda like Oblivion... when you first start playing it, you don't know what to do, and you think it's slow and pointless... but after a few hours of playing it, you finally realize the immense scope of the game and what it offers. It's just that with Warhawk, it takes a lot longer than a few hours...

#15 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Warhawk is one of the games that makes me think I want a PS3. inFAMOUS, too.

#16 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to, so your question to me is moot.

#17 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Warhawk is one of the games that makes me think I want a PS3. inFAMOUS, too."
Yeah, Warhawk is a great game. The devs also spend a lot of time making their users happy by adding patches and booster packs frequently. They do as much work to the game as Bungie does with Halo.
#18 Posted by Rowr (5518 posts) -

The same reason people love motorstorm and resistance.

Its all they've got.

#19 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Warhawk is one of the games that makes me think I want a PS3. inFAMOUS, too."
Yeah, Warhawk is a great game. The devs also spend a lot of time making their users happy by adding patches and booster packs frequently. They do as much work to the game as Bungie does with Halo."

Except Halo games aren't good.
#20 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"TheJollyRajah said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Warhawk is one of the games that makes me think I want a PS3. inFAMOUS, too."
Yeah, Warhawk is a great game. The devs also spend a lot of time making their users happy by adding patches and booster packs frequently. They do as much work to the game as Bungie does with Halo."

Except Halo games aren't good."
Haha, yeah, that's true. I bought Halo 3 and I'm very disappointed in it... I'm no graphics whore or anything but the graphics in that game just suck. I expected more from a Halo game. I'm more of a Gears player.

Ever since I bought my PS3, I haven't really touched my Xbox 360 too much.
#21 Posted by PharoahCapcom (480 posts) -

Warhawk isn't bad actually.I'm actually not a fan of games of this sort but Warhawk surprised me.

#22 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Oh no, I love my Xbox 360 and I would much rather have it than a PS3. But there are a couple games on the PS3 that look really great, which I would considering purchasing a system for. No, MGS4 is not one of them.

As for Halo, ironically Combat Evolved as as evolved as the series would get. Bad Company > Halo.

#23 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

LittleBigPlanet also looks amazing, if you're into that sort of stuff. I'm also buying the new Motorstorm, and maybe Resistance 2.... and MGS4 (haven't gotten it yet).

If I were you, I'd try out a PS3 at a friend's house or something. It's not everyone's cup of tea. For me... it's amazing.

#24 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Eh, LittleBigPlanet isn't my cup of tea. I'm going to keep my eye on inFAMOUS, if it turns out as cool as it sounds then getting a PS3 is justified. We'll see...

#25 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

LBP isn't your cup of tea NOW, once you play it, different story. :P

And how could you not be interested in MGS4? It is most likely one of the best games this generation, and will be talked about for years and years to come. It's really amazing, once you get a PS3, you need to get that game.

#26 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I spent 4 hours on Rookie servers in Warhawk today. I'm averaging about 100 points a game if we win. I've stopped trying to use the Warhawks everytime I respawn and actually paid attention to other parts of the game - capturing the zones, using the knife and machine gun, carting people about in 4x4's.

I still obviously need to learn the plane because it's a crucial part of the game but I feel like I made progress as a soldier/team player today. It's a start ;)

#27 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

What's your PSN account? Maybe later I'll join in with my n00b account.

#28 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Good job. :)

It's all about progression in this kind of game. But seriously, when you get good at the game... it just feels sooo good and empowering, when really it is balanced. Can't wait to get back to this game though.

#29 Posted by FesteringNeon (2163 posts) -

I just ordered this game last night. I look forward to getting Pwnd for coutless hours, eventually the tables will turn (muahahha). Add Me you sharkies... PSN ID: ElementOfInertia

#30 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
bukkookkub said:
"I just ordered this game last night. I look forward to getting Pwnd for coutless hours, eventually the tables will turn (muahahha). Add Me you sharkies... PSN ID: ElementOfInertia"
My PSN name is TheJollyRajah.... same as my username.

get2sammyb, I joined your match and then you left... scared or something? Haha.
#31 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Because he wasn't ready to show his skills man!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.