Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wasteland 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 19, 2014

Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish, Mike Stackpole and others reunite for a sequel to their hit 1988, post-apocalyptic CRPG Wasteland. Wasteland 2 is fan-funded from a successful Kickstarter campaign.

So the early beta is out now

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So, I got an email concerning the early beta for kickstarter backers, and I was wondering if anyone had tried it out/had any thoughts on it.

As I was downloading it I was eager to see anything about the game, 'cause I haven't really been following development all that closely. However, when I started it up, I screwed around with character customization for about half an hour (as is usual for me), before realizing I didn't really wanna see the game until it was full released. I was curious as to what others thought about it.

Also, this made me chuckle
    Also, this made me chuckle

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By abendlaender

Silly developers, the whole game is technically downloadable content. (Yeah, yeah I get it :P)

Sadly I didn't pledge enough to get the Beta, I'd like to try it. Oh well.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a backer, but didn't throw down enough cash to get in this early. In my old age, I've come to shy away from anything before it's ready. I'll be patient and play it when it's finished, but I'd still love to hear impressions from others who are more adventurous.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Yeah, I figured not many people would've backed enough for the early beta access. Originally, I didn't either, but then they introduced that upgrade system and one thing led to another aaandd... I eventually got to a point where I payed enough to get beta access.

I guess I'll just hunker down, and try playing later today and share my thoughts

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

Hmm I got the invitation by email. don't know if that is it necessarily. Have to jump through some account activation hoops first tho, we'll see

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is that a GUN SCORPION?!?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Err holy shit i donated 100 to them??? I don't remember doing that :/ Was I drunk, or high on excitement?

OK i guess. Downloading the beta now.

This is actually super fortunate, as I've seriously run out of shit to play at this point in time :/ Might as well spend some time doing this, plus I don't mind submitting bug reports.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Yeah, I don't remember donating 75, haha.

Definitely "high on excitement" for me

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes: By the way, thanks for this post. I doubt I would have noticed the beta thing without it and would have just glossed over the email like usual.

It's gonna have to wait until next week for me sadly, as I'll be on flights this weekend. Oh well.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: No problem!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it once you get to it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By abendlaender

Man I wish I had enough money to be like "What? I spent 100$ on something? Lol!" xD

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

@abendlaender said:

Man I wish I had enough money to be like "What? I spent 100$ on something? Lol!" xD

I don't actually make all that much, especially not by US standards, and just on a good side of average in the country i'm working in. But living alone with no family or responsibilities, owning no car (work is close), my only expenses aside from games are food, cheap rent and utilities, and Steam sales decrease even that. Games like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity (Pillars now) speak directly to my CRPG fueled childhood, so when Kickstarter first blew up and these 2 were announced I instantly backed them. But it was also so long ago now (and I was too lazy to keep up with the projects) that I simply forgot how much I backed them with at the time of extreme enthusiasm.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Darji

Man totally forgot about that. But sadly I only pledged the minimum amount to get the game so no Beta for me either. But I will look up some footage for sure since they are totally fine with showing let's plays and other material from the game as long as you mention it is a early Beta^^

2014 will be such a fantastic CRPG or RPG Year in general.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Played the first area you can travel to, surprised there is some voice work in the game (which was excellent), I guess Shadowrun Returns got me used to kickstarter crpgs being voiceless.

Combat feels good and haven't run into any technical issues.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the heads up, i usually glaze over kickstarter e-mails so i wouldn't have known about this without this thread.

I'm downloading the 4.1 gigs as we speak so i'll probably play a little and report back here when i do...most likely sometime tomorrow.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That DLC thing is kind of lame.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeadpanCakes

@mosdl said:

Played the first area you can travel to, surprised there is some voice work in the game (which was excellent), I guess Shadowrun Returns got me used to kickstarter crpgs being voiceless.

Combat feels good and haven't run into any technical issues.

Played a bit just now and I agree that the voice acting is pretty damn good.

Unfortunately, it crapped out on me and crashed during my first encounter. I'm gonna give it another try again later on

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@deadpancakes: I'm glad you took a screenie of that. It also got me a good laugh.

So far, I can't say I'm displeased. My only real complaint is the I never feel confident that I've created a solid team from character creation. I still want to try an all pre-created character team. The stats and skills just feel a little different to me. Actually, it seems like all my melee characters seem to miss much more often than they should. Same thing with skill tasks, such as toaster repair. Sometimes even if you have a high percentage of success (say 70%) it'll still fail about 3-4 times before the character succeeds. They said that it would be easy for the character, I personally don't consider failing that number of times before doing it as easy.

All in all, if you played Shadowrun Returns and then added VO to most of the dialog, you'd pretty much have Wasteland 2 at this point. That's certainly not a bad thing.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpancakes: My only real complaint is the I never feel confident that I've created a solid team from character creation.

This happens to me every time I play a crpg, and this is the reason I considered waiting until it was fully released. 'Cause usually I just force myself to keep going through the game until I feel like I'm committed, but with only part of the game accessible, I was afraid I wouldn't get to the point that I felt sufficiently attached to that party.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#20 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I've quite enjoyed my time with the beta, though I have run into a couple bugs here and there, it also crashed once on me, but that's why it is a beta. I went with a completely premade team, Sniper, Medic, Barter/Melee dude, and Thief I guess is what the last guy kinda falls under since he has lockpicking, anyway he packs an smg, which doesn't really matter since I am always out of ammo except for my Sniper and two tag alongs.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat! Has anyone put up video yet? I've been following this since the kickstarter went up, but was too wary to put any money into a kickstarter.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud: The email said it was fine to post any video (or other forms of) coverage, so long as you clarify it's beta footage, so I'm sure something'll be up soon, if not already.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just loaded up the main menu for shits and giggles before my flight.

It seems to have the same problem as Xcom:EU did at launch (it was later fixed) where mouse acceleration/movement feels super laggy if Vsync is turned on; while being completely fine and smooth without Vsync.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've backed it, but didn't feel like paying more just to be able to beta test for free. Some games works well with early access, mainly sand-box style games. This didn't seem to be one of them, even though I was tempted.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

Wooooo boy it's rough, really really rough.

Just started playing it today and we will see how it goes as I get further into it but man does it not start on a high note. This is an alpha not a beta in any way. At least I sure hope this is how they are treating it in reality internally. I'll try to do a full detailed write up as I go along or maybe just to one big one eventually.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just released a big patch for the beta.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm excited for this game but I have to admit I think the pricetag is way too high. Like, egotistically high. Hopefully the alpha and beta experience will bring about some positive momentum.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

..As in you don't like the joke? Or you think they have Red Boots for 50 bucks?

Is that a GUN SCORPION?!?

That is a fucking Gun Scorpion Those red boots must have +2 to interest in this game.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@geraltitude: I bet that's just a temporary price. It had to be 55 bucks or whatever it is because that was the Kickstarter reward tier with beta access. Having the game go up on Steam for less would have been a slap in the face for everyone pledging at that tier and expecting something exclusive.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@coinmatze: Yea. That's the conclusion I came to as well.

Also, to be clear, I paid 55 to the kickstarter and I would not have had any problem with them charging less for the game. If they think the game is worth that much, though, have at it. It does come off as a strange price, though, upon casual observation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I bet that's just a temporary price. It had to be 55 bucks or whatever it is because that was the Kickstarter reward tier with beta access. Having the game go up on Steam for less would have been a slap in the face for everyone pledging at that tier and expecting something exclusive.

but then some people (definitely not me) would construe it a different way and say it's a slap in the face to be paying so much for beta(ish) access.

basically if you dig getting slapped in the face buy this game.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coinmatze said:

but then some people (definitely not me) would construe it a different way and say it's a slap in the face to be paying so much for beta(ish) access.

Yeah but backers are more important since they financed the game. I think it is great that they did it like that. The price in the end will be 20-30$ which is totally fine.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

So far from what i've played of it, it's "ok". I can't play too much of it because the green menu text makes my eyes bleed from the dot pitch distortion my screen gets from the tiny font.

so, does it feel open world? Not really but i'm early on in the game so i couldn't say if it opens up later. it's all pretty linear so far and i'm not really stumbling upon random civilized factions, the random encounters i've had so far have all been combat related.

How's the combat? So far i'm battling a lot of melee mobs in a lot of open areas that don't really give a good sense of strategy. The only interesting mob i've played against was a toad that stole the weapon right out of my hand, everything else has been pretty typical. On paper it plays a lot like a simplified Fallout but in practice the battlefields,so far, are really small and haven't really led to anything that feels like deep tactics.

Anyway, i'm waiting for them to fix the green menu text before i'll get any deeper into it.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chilibean_3

I have access to it but I'm not going to mess with it until it's finished.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I thought about getting into it when it released on steam, but hearing its far from complete(6months) i can wait until a majority of the kinks have been banged out.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Steadying

@evilsbane: More as in I think the joke is just lame and not funny.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

@coinmatze said:

Yeah but backers are more important since they financed the game. I think it is great that they did it like that. The price in the end will be 20-30$ which is totally fine.

The notion of paying more to be in a aplpha/beta just seems completely backwards. KickStarter Backers should have paid the least (ex: 15), since they had the faith to fund the game. Beta folks should pay less then regular customers (ex: 20 vs. 30).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

@coinmatze said:

The notion of paying more to be in a aplpha/beta just seems completely backwards. KickStarter Backers should have paid the least (ex: 15), since they had the faith to fund the game. Beta folks should pay less then regular customers (ex: 20 vs. 30).

You can not change the amount people pledged and they needed these rewards for people to back more. It is totally fair this way. And in fact Backers pay I think 5$ less for the Beta as well.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yeah I had to stop playing the "beta" that's really an alpha several hours in. It's just too much. I'd rather see it as a finished product and have more positive feelings about the game.

Right now it's way too unfinished and fucked up. To be blunt, it visually (both artistically and technically) looks like dog shit, on par with something like Neverwinter Nights 2 many years back, except even more bland, and runs like garbage, menus taking me down to 16 friggin fps. The half finished leveling system, the gimmicky uninspired UI that some designer or programmer had a boner over being able to move around for no reason, ugly inventory, character models from early 00's, combat with no punch or gore.

On a positive note I'm digging the radio sounds and motif.

At it's core it could be ok. Tho my fears of it being somewhere between the core Fallout games and F:Tactics in terms of design have proven true halfway atm. As the dialogue and atmosphere are not on par with the pure rpgs and the squad/combat/tactical part not as fun or tight as Tactics was. It could still be good with such a mix, but not when it's plagued by the severely unfinished state it's currently in at the same time.

So I chose to uninstall it for now and wait for the main release.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a scale of 1 to 10 (one being bad, 10 being the best parts of Fallout and Fallout 2) where would you guys say its looking so far?

After watching the videos that inExile put out I'm super stoked for this.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@darji said:

@geraltitude said:

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

@coinmatze said:

You can not change the amount people pledged and they needed these rewards for people to back more. It is totally fair this way. And in fact Backers pay I think 5$ less for the Beta as well.

I mean in the future, not retroactively, but point taken.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm purposely not going to play Wasteland 2 until after release. I'd rather sit down with the finished game rather than mess around with the alpha/beta when CRPGs are involved.

If it was an MMO or multiplayer shooter, I'd dive in during pre-alpha but I feel like beta-ing singleplayer games will ruin my enjoyment of them.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to hear from people that have made it farther than in me in the Beta. Actually I didn't make it very far, 'cause I haven't had the time.

Based on what other people have said, I'm certain I'll enjoy this when it's out, but I dunno if I'm gonna bother with the beta anymore. I feel like I've seen enough by just exploring the party creation and getting into a single random encounter, for now. I'm not regretting my backing as much as I thought I would, probably 'cause I didn't throw down all the money at once.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to hear from people that have made it farther than in me in the Beta. Actually I didn't make it very far, 'cause I haven't had the time.

Based on what other people have said, I'm certain I'll enjoy this when it's out, but I dunno if I'm gonna bother with the beta anymore. I feel like I've seen enough by just exploring the party creation and getting into a single random encounter, for now. I'm not regretting my backing as much as I thought I would, probably 'cause I didn't throw down all the money at once.

That is what I have been doing, just playing around with the mechanics and the classes and seeing if I can get it to crash.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Release date confirmed as end of August

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/849972

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Looks like anyone that kickstarted for a copy of the game now can claim their code. However if you do you won't get a gog copy later if that's what you want.

With release only two months out, we felt like this is the right time to expand Wasteland 2 beta access to all backers at any tier who are eligible for a copy of the game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/883385

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just about to make a comment about how lame that DLC " joke " was, but it turns out I already did.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a few hours of it today. It's rough but I'm having fun with it, didn't encounter any major problems, only minor graphical glitches and some performance issues (though it's probably due to it being a beta). Really looking forward to it when it's all polished up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.