Almost all of the footage shown yesterday was PC footage

• 52 results
#1 Edited by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

The Watch Dogs preview was recently confirmed to be PC footage, though it will come out on 360 and ps3. It's not going to look nearly as nice. In the chat yesterday a bunch of people were "asking what console is this running on?" Answer: high end PC

Most of the impressive looking games yesterday (that are going to be multi platform) were shown on a PC. I wonder how many console users know they their version will look substantially worse?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The console peasants will not notice. They don't have the specially developed eyes for seeing in true HD like PC gamers do.

/sarcasm

For realsies, though, I'd imagine it'll be a Deus Ex: Human Revolution scenario where it looks almost just as good but has looong load times.

#3 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

I'm guessing that Watch Dogs and 1313 aren't going to be out until the new consoles are out, so they'll just have the best version on those and the less-good version on the 360/ps3.

#4 Posted by Fahrenheit (85 posts) -

I spotted it the second the demo started. You can tell by lack of jaggies. I know some people where trying to say Watch Dogs was running on Wii U, no shot at that detail level.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Well obviously, that's how they always do it.

#6 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I think everyone saw the black controller and assumed PS3 or 360, I know I thought it was the PS3, and didn't consider the preview demo to be running on a high end PC using some form of 3rd party controller.

#7 Posted by Giantstalker (1656 posts) -

@Hamz said:

I think everyone saw the black controller and assumed PS3 or 360, I know I thought it was the PS3, and didn't consider the preview demo to be running on a high end PC using some form of 3rd party controller.

It's also possible to link a standard DualShock 3 to any PC with bluetooth using specific drivers.

#8 Posted by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

@jmood88 said:

I'm guessing that Watch Dogs and 1313 aren't going to be out until the new consoles are out, so they'll just have the best version on those and the less-good version on the 360/ps3.

The next gen consoles aren't going to look better than the PC.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Its also possible that the guy wasnt playing at all.

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

That doesn't really bother me. When I saw the footage of it yesterday I assumed it wasn't being shown on current-gen consoles.

#11 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

@squirrelnacho: They probably will look about even if not slightly better like they did with the last 2 generations.

#12 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Yes, the current high end PCs have more powerful hardware than what the Playstation 5 will have, that's why developers show their 'next gen' games on PC to a console crowd. They use it as a magic machine, but don't respect its users to give them proper games, or games at all.

#14 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Well obviously, that's how they always do it.

#15 Edited by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

They will look equal to a medium spec pc for the first year at best. One of the next gen consoles is rumored to have only the equivalent of an AMD 6670.

#16 Posted by Patman99 (1586 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

That doesn't really bother me. When I saw the footage of it yesterday I assumed it wasn't being shown on current-gen consoles.

Yeah, me too. I mean those faces were incredible plus the rain effects on the street were mind blowing at least to my eyes. Either the developer somehow figured out how to get the hidden stash of tooth past out of the xbox 360/PS3's cap or they were running it on a PC.

#17 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@jmood88 said:

Pretty sure Watch Dogs has been confirmed for 360 and PS3- so its not waiting for the next-gen consoles.

Star Wars 1313 hasn't been confirmed yet though. We know it's going to be multi-platform as well, but whether or not its the first actual next-gen game we've been allowed to see, or if it is going to be scaled down for 360/PS3 remains to be seen.

#18 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

However the lack of space needed to run anything else on a console means you can always push what ever is in your Xbo/PS? that much harder. I'm no expert and I know the PC will always look better because its potential is always technically limitless but I will be very suprised if we don't see graphics as least as good as that demo on new consoles. Although it might take them a year or 2 to properly figure out what ever they have, initial 360 games look rubbish compared to present.

#19 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -
@squirrelnacho

They will look equal to a medium spec pc for the first year at best. One of the next gen consoles is rumored to have only the equivalent of an AMD 6670.

Key word "rumor".

Thinly veiled PC elitism is thinly veiled.
#20 Posted by LiquidPrince (15952 posts) -

They were playing a lot of PS3 controllers. But now I'm struggling. Play these games on my consoles, or move on to my new high end PC... Dillema. I like to have the games all consistently on one platform so if I move to PC, I'd need to rebuy the other games in the series on PC. Hmm...

#21 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

It looked great, but some people kept saying it was probably runing on a next gen console. If that is what next gen launch titles will look like I'm going to be very disappointed.

#22 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

The game is lead on PC DX11

#23 Posted by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

It's completely unlikely that will put a high end GPU in it and still keep the price reasonable. Going back year's consoles have never had high end GPU's in them. A mid range AMD 7850 costs $250 right now.

At best, this generation will look equal to a midrange PC for the first year.

#24 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (277 posts) -

I doubt they'd put it out on PC first. Nobody really plays PC games anymore.

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

or move on to my new high end PC... 

Congratz man. Prepare to have your mind blown
#26 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@CrimsonAvenger said:

Nobody really plays PC games anymore.

What planet are you from? Diablo III says hello.

#27 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

The game is lead on PC DX11

Awesome!

Unrelated but I feel have to say this, and who better to say it to than someone who works at Ubi: I hated FC2 with every fiber of my being, so I was pretty surprised to find myself genuinely excited for Far Cry 3. Seriously, seems like you guys have done a great job on this one. Looks gorgeous, loving the characters already, voice acting seems infinitely better than what we had in FC2, and I think I even detected an Uncharted vibe somewhere, now all that's left is for the gameplay to be everything I'm hoping it would be... or at least not make the same mistakes as FC2.

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (15952 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@LiquidPrince said:

or move on to my new high end PC...

Congratz man. Prepare to have your mind blown

I've been enjoying for about a month now with my mind blown. Check out my latest blog.

#29 Posted by tourgen (4505 posts) -

I am unreasonably excited for this game. Dont really care so much about the exact details as long as they have a decent PC release without nutty DRM.

#30 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -
@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka It has been confirmed for 360 and ps3 but that doesn't mean anything. It was also confirmed that it will be on unannounced platforms and there isn't a release date yet.
#31 Posted by RedRavN (400 posts) -

@Tesla said:

@squirrelnacho

Key word "rumor".

Thinly veiled PC elitism is thinly veiled.

Also, keep in mind the current gen has like a 7800gt or equivalent as a graphics card and they have gotten a lot of mileage out of it. A game like gears or war, GTA4, or alan wake would struggle on the bare minimum if that card was in a PC but the consoles are so much more efficient they can run those games at high details. Its much easier to optimize a console game and there is no operating system to load. So even a card like a 6670 will put out some serious graphics in a console.

But as a PC gamer it is obvious that a high spec PC will always be superior, but it would not suprise me if the next gen consoles could match a high spec PC for a year or so, but obviously at a much lower resolution and with no anti-aliasing.

#32 Posted by beeftothetaco (425 posts) -

You don't say.

#33 Posted by ozzdog12 (861 posts) -

@squirrelnacho said:

The Watch Dogs preview was recently confirmed to be PC footage, though it will come out on 360 and ps3. It's not going to look nearly as nice. In the chat yesterday a bunch of people were "asking what console is this running on?" Answer: high end PC

Most of the impressive looking games yesterday (that are going to be multi platform) were shown on a PC. I wonder how many console users know they their version will look substantially worse?

Who cares how it looks? As long as it plays the same,then I could care less

#34 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yes, the current high end PCs have more powerful hardware than what the Playstation 5 will have, that's why developers show their 'next gen' games on PC to a console crowd. They use it as a magic machine, but don't respect its users to give them proper games, or games at all.

I think you're getting a bit carried away there.

#35 Posted by snowninja845 (43 posts) -
@kpaadet said:

It looked great, but some people kept saying it was probably running on a next gen console. If that is what next gen launch titles will look like I'm going to be very disappointed.

Why would you be disappointed it looks great even if it was running on high end PC and if the next gen launch titles look even close I'll be satisfied.
#36 Posted by Andorski (5311 posts) -

Ahh, nothing like a E3 demo of a non-platform specified game to get fanboys to argue about the technical aspects of games that they know absolutely shit about.

#37 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

The console peasants will not notice. They don't have the specially developed eyes for seeing in true HD like PC gamers do.

/sarcasm

For realsies, though, I'd imagine it'll be a Deus Ex: Human Revolution scenario where it looks almost just as good but has looong load times.

But Human Revolution isn't much of a looker on pc. Probably be more of a battlefield 3 situation where they look like completely different games.

#38 Posted by Dalai (7031 posts) -
@ozzdog12 said:

@squirrelnacho said:

Who cares how it looks? As long as it plays the same,then I could care less

Exactly. The entire concept looks crazy fun. The graphics are just an added bonus. 

And I can't see the 360 and PS3 versions looking like shit. Watch Dogs might not end up being the best looking game on a console ever, but it's still going to look great.
#39 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Anyone who plays the 360/PS3 versions over the inevitable PS4/Nextbox versions is a fool. Shit is going to look hot on next gen systems.

#40 Posted by squirrelnacho (331 posts) -

Its already been confirmed that it was running on PC footage and will be released for 360 and PS3.

#41 Edited by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

It was really interesting until it turned into a shooter. Staging "accidents" as alternate ways of taking someone out makes me think of Hitman. :)

#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I think you're getting a bit carried away there.

Probably. A little. Feels good though!
#44 Posted by erikalui (21 posts) -

It is more suited for Xbox one though I feel and I hope to have the game soon with me and play it. The trailers are looking too cool and may be I will get some more in the game too.

#45 Posted by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

@erikalui said:

It is more suited for Xbox one...

Care to explain your reasoning behind this?

Also: new user, 20 posts, and every one of those in Watch Dogs' threads, some of them necroed from over a year ago... Do you work for Ubisoft?

#46 Edited by Heltom92 (710 posts) -

Wtf is up with all these watch dogs threads being resurrected!? Is it all this one guy? What is his deal?

#47 Edited by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

I just checked, it is all this same user. Check the Watch Dogs board and look at the last post users down the right, 90% of them are this erikalui shill, and everyone of its posts are glowing praise for Ubisoft/this game.

#48 Edited by Humanity (9286 posts) -

@squirrelnacho: It's been said a millions times before that console specs and PC specs don't compare 1:1 because of the unique console closed system architecture. A console can have worse specs than a PC and still look and run better because the system doesn't have to take under consideration a lot of the bottlenecks present in personal computers. Obviously consoles will not be able to continue looking amazing as new graphic cards come out almost yearly for the PC and the consoles will be stuck with the same hardware until the next rotation. That said, all this talk of "well spec wise it's like a mid range pc at best" is just ignorant nonsense since it doesn't work that way. I'm sure anyone with a bit of intelligence will know that when they buy Watchdogs for their PS3 or 360 it won't magically look a ton better than what they've been playing for the past 2 years - I'm certain it will look really nice on the PS4 and XBO.

EDIT: My bad, didn't notice this was a necro thread, point still stands though.

#49 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

@heltom92: @sinusoidal: Remember when jeff said sometimes Game companies make fake accounts on giantbomb to promote their game ? Well we might have a Ubisoft Employee promoting the game.

#50 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

@heltom92: Badly veiled marketing dude's account?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.