Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

Delayed on WII U.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Wii U version of Watch Dogs has been delayed, Ubisoft has confirmed.

The title is still on track to launch on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC between April and June 2014, with the Wii U version following at a later date.

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com following the announcement, a Ubisoft spokesperson said:

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

The delay follows rumours that the Wii U version had been cancelled after pre-orders for the game were cancelled by GameStop Italy and its absence from Nintendo's release schedule.

Source: Ubisoft Q3 FY14 Conference Call

Source

Looking at Ubisofts Q3 results the WII U is just not profitable to them. To me this sounds like it has been quietly cancelled. It also reminds me of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If Ubisoft is backing away from you're platform, you're in trouble.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ruh roh.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft"

Ouch.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly thought that the Wii U version had already been canceled months ago.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

huh, didn't know this was coming out on Wii U although it makes sense. AC4 did after all.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

"We need to delay Rayman on Wii U so we can launch simultaneously on all platforms for the best interest of our customers."

"We need to delay Watch Dogs on Wii U, but launch simultaneously on all other platforms earlier for the best interest of our customers."

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, so did I. I kinda consider the Wii U just an exclusivity box at this point, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128: I'm guessing they don't have very many customers on the wii u

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on how AC4 sold on Wii U?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: 1% or 2 % of total sales. PS4 + X1 was >30%

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Hey it's only delayed and not cancelled for now. That's a win in its own right for Nintendo.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Considering how poorly Blacklist and AC4 done on there (both technically and commercially), I'm just surprised it wasn't cancelled already.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can't say I'm surprised, but since nobody bought a Wii U but me and I plan about buying Watch Dogs on PC. So that's like zero sales right there, right? Still, that's a bit of a dick move by Ubisoft. Understandable, but still a dick move.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By awesomeusername

I'm sure the 7 people who pre-ordered this on Wii U will understand. amirite boiz?

Seriously though. It makes financial sense. Make this already delayed game better on the consoles that matter and not deliver another Assassins Creed 3.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

This is one of those games I had considered getting a Wii U for. It just seemed like the kind of game that would be really awesome to play on the Wii U. I'll understand if they cancel it but still I'd rather them not. This seems like a kind of game that would really use the Game Pad in an interesting way.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing what has happened with the Wii U, I'm not even surprised anymore.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm sure the 7 people who pre-ordered this on Wii U will understand. amirite boiz?

Seriously though. It makes financial sense. Make this already delayed game better on the consoles that matter and not deliver another Assassins Creed 3.

Assassin's Creed IV shipped on more platforms than ACIII and was a better game. It's not the number of consoles being shipped on that's the issue here. It's Ubisoft's willingness or lack thereof to dedicate resources to a specific version of the game that they had already committed to in relation to the other platform versions that will have much larger amounts of sales. It's still a dick move toward those that may have wanted the game on the Wii U or even preordered that version, but it's at least understandable why they'd do it.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to pretend that I think that this delay is so they can add meaningful gamepad functionality to the WiiU version. That is way less depressing than the reality of the situation.

But that's fine, I guess. I'll play this on PC and continue to enjoy my Marios and Zeldas and whatever else on WiiU.

@yummylee said:

Considering how poorly Blacklist and AC4 done on there (both technically and commercially), I'm just surprised it wasn't cancelled already.

I haven't seen sales numbers so I can't argue about commercial success, but they did poorly from a technical standpoint? I didn't play Blacklist at all, but I played the WiiU version of Black Flag start to finish and it worked perfectly well all the way through.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditto

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By awesomeusername

@hailinel said:

@awesomeusername said:

Assassin's Creed IV shipped on more platforms than ACIII and was a better game. It's not the number of consoles being shipped on that's the issue here. It's Ubisoft's willingness or lack thereof to dedicate resources to a specific version of the game that they had already committed to in relation to the other platform versions that will have much larger amounts of sales. It's still a dick move toward those that may have wanted the game on the Wii U or even preordered that version, but it's at least understandable why they'd do it.

I know that. I was saying to not make it another AC3, which means a complete turd of a game (tons of bugs, tons of shitty mechanics, broken gameplay, terrible story, etc.).

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And now the wait begins to see if Call Of Duty will come out on WiiU this fall.

I think E3 is going to be really weird this year for nintendo....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doskias said:

I'm going to pretend that I think that this delay is so they can add meaningful gamepad functionality to the WiiU version. That is way less depressing than the reality of the situation.

But that's fine, I guess. I'll play this on PC and continue to enjoy my Marios and Zeldas and whatever else on WiiU.

@yummylee said:

I haven't seen sales numbers so I can't argue about commercial success, but they did poorly from a technical standpoint? I didn't play Blacklist at all, but I played the WiiU version of Black Flag start to finish and it worked perfectly well all the way through.

There really isn't anything wrong with either game from a technical standpoint. I've put more time into ACIV on Wii U than Splinter Cell, but they're both pretty solid versions of the games.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darji

@doskias said:

@yummylee said:

According to Digital foundry it is the worst version FPS wise Even compared with the PS3 and 360 version.

With performance so far behind every other version of the game, it's hard to recommend the Wii U game at all, despite its image quality matching PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

So they did not put much effort in the Wii U version to begin with. In all honestly I would not be surprised if they will cancel the Wii U version completely like others did before. Crysis 3 and Alien just to name two games that got delayed and then canceled.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Huh. I only played the WiiU version of it, so that is definitely... illuminating. While I don't dispute their methods or their results, I don't agree that it was ever unplayably bad. It was a totally fine, functional version of the game. In any case you are correct that it obviously was technically behind the other versions.

It would be a damn shame if you're right about them canceling WiiU's version of Watch Dogs outright, though. The thing needs more good games, and that definitely seems like it's shaping up to be pretty swell. On the other hand, if it's going to be a significant leap behind every other version of it, maybe we're better off. I don't know.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doskias said:

@darji: Huh. I only played the WiiU version of it, so that is definitely... illuminating. While I don't dispute their methods or their results, I don't agree that it was ever unplayably bad. It was a totally fine, functional version of the game. In any case you are correct that it obviously was technically behind the other versions.

It would be a damn shame if you're right about them canceling WiiU's version of Watch Dogs outright, though. The thing needs more good games, and that definitely seems like it's shaping up to be pretty swell. On the other hand, if it's going to be a significant leap behind every other version of it, maybe we're better off. I don't know.

Eh, don't bother getting into it with Darji. He sees FPS comparisons and will react as though games that are actually pretty playable, like ACIV Wii U, are unsalvageable garbage.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Darji

@doskias said:

It was never unplayable but looking at these results it is the worst version you can get. If you do not mind these differences it is totally playable that is for sure.

As for Watch Dogs Wii U. During the last weeks there were several rumors about it being canceled so there could be still truth to it. We will see what happens after the other versions will be released It would not surprise me though if they will still cancel it. Honestly does it make even sense after releasing it for PS3/360 PS4/One and PC and then a few month later or so for the Wii U? Who would buy it then?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One step away from being cancelled then, unless this really is for quality assurance purposes which judging the quality of Black Flag's "cinematic" 20-25 fps average on Wii U, Watch Dogs is going to need some serious help to have any kind of hope at running on that console.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bigjeffrey

they should just can it, no one is going to buy the worst version of the game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

you know, I'm always fascinated with Ubisoft on their marketing research and multiplatform teams. It's not cheap, even during the PS2, Xbox and gamecube days they delivered a quality product.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Delayed Cancelled on Wii U.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InternetDotCom

Toss my hat in for not knowing Watch Dogs was even coming to Wii U

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll go one step farther and say that I actually completely forgot the Wii U was even a console.

The fall of this thing is just so depressing in an "I told you so!"-sort of way.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Sucks for the 20k people that were going to buy it on Wii U.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.