First game from E3 I am genuinely excited about.

#1 Posted by wumbo3000 (937 posts) -

That was insane. But I have no idea how the hell it's going to work. Looks like a lot of things can go wrong. And the graphics look way too good for current gen. If it lives up to its expectations though....wow.

#2 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Calling it now... game of show.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10479 posts) -

Looks nuts! I dunno if I'm more excited for it than Assassin's Creed III (gotta stab those redcoats), but this one looks INSANE!

#4 Posted by BluntTheKing (17 posts) -

I was just half paying attention to the Ubisoft show until Watch Dogs started showing, and then I was completely into it.

It looks like a fantastic game with a lot of really cool ideas, and I'm not lying when I say it was the first E3 game to get me genuinely excited, I can't wait.

#5 Posted by Zacagawea (1582 posts) -

AHHHHHHHHH WATCH DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Posted by viking (62 posts) -

Indeed. I really hope they emphasise on the digital control stuff rather than it being a shooter. I got my hopes up!!

#7 Posted by Musou (380 posts) -

That was mind-boggling

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

Everything from Ubisoft's press conference was at least somewhat interesting, but new IP with an interesting premise and mixture of gameplay and I'm cautiously optimistic. I think a lot of people are making the mistake of getting hyped for what was obviously a "vertical slice" scripted sequence emulating an open-world environment, but I still have to admit that it looked pretty damn good.

#9 Posted by iselbi (14 posts) -

Ubisoft did good by us.

#10 Posted by JackLumber (48 posts) -

I missed the start of this demo. So what happened there at the end? Can you switch between a whole team of guys on the fly? And it's an open world game? Did I interpret that right? Cause that seems like a cool combination. Its like in a heist movie where you see them plan it out what each character's role is before you see them execute it. This game seemed to suggest that sort of scenario, where you are switching between a team of guys as they coordinate with each other.

#11 Posted by hershelgeorgelives (78 posts) -

@buzz_killington: I don't see Sony or Nintendo showing anything particularly good, so yes

#12 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

Sure, we can't tell how it's going to turn out (or even what it'll actually be) by what we saw at the ubi conference, but it's by far the game with the most unique potential I've seen in a long time. A cyberpunk game that doesn't just look back at the golden era of the genre and try to evoke that (like Prey 2, Shadowrun and Deus Ex), but actually try to bring the ideas to current day and try to extrapolate the near future by our current technology rather than the visions of future technology from the 80's and 90's. Fucking amazing.

#13 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Definitely. It's also the only (major) unknown quantity of the week so far. Goes to show how much people appreciate new IPs.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Everybody is so negative except when they show something that looks good!1

#15 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1545 posts) -

yup first thing up until now that got me excited. Has a lot of potential

#16 Edited by DefAde (264 posts) -

Completely agree with the OP... so far this E3 had been a total snoozefest... right up until Ubisoft pulled that out the bag... i just watched the same gameplay twice more on YouTube

Have to say, i'm pretty sure this must be running on a PC, and on the stage demo he was using an Xbox controller

#17 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

That was clearly a next-gen title.

#18 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Yep. Best thing so far. New IP and looked great.

#19 Posted by Chindie (192 posts) -

@Steve_C said:

Yep. Best thing so far. New IP and looked great.

That, exactly.

Intriguing prospect, looked gorgeous, something new, finally. Really want to know about it. I was honestly slightly disappointed when it turned into a cover shooter but even that doesn't take too much shine off it.

#20 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

This will be my game of show most likely unless Sony shows some Last of Us.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

It's not the first (Zeno Clash 2 woowoo) but this is the best so far.

#22 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

It will end up like I Am Alive and GR:FS.

The end product will not look and play like what they shown during E3.

#23 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

Calling it now... game of show.

Game of the Show has to be playable.

#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

It's amazing how a community who is generally so negative during press conferences (myself included) can get so excited so quickly over something new. Watch Dogs looks really good from the very, very little we've seen but I have to imagine that almost everyone agrees with you and are at least "cautiously optimistic". I'm full blown optimistic. And I'm a pessimist. GG Ubisoft.

#25 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@niamahai said:

Absolutely a possibility, but it certainly stands out in the sea of modern military shooters and sports games that have looked exactly the same for at least 5 years.

#26 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

Absolutely a possibility, but it certainly stands out in the sea of modern military shooters and sports games that have looked exactly the same for at least 5 years.

So without a doubt, we can call this a Next-Gen Ass Next-Gen game?

#27 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@niamahai said:

@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

Klepek implied as much on Twitter.

#28 Posted by Anidem (40 posts) -

this is going to be the "assassins creed" from ubisoft for the next gen, the game looked amazing. It was either running on a pc or on a "durango" or "orbis" dev kit.

#29 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

Even if that was scripted it was cool as hell, i mean look at all the options he had availible. stop a train, hack communication screw with traffic lights.

i wonder if you could hack street lights on city block so you can make it pitch black.

#30 Posted by dougbrit2 (53 posts) -

@Jimbo: in any genre people are always ready to pounce.

I think ubi is a winner for taking some chances.

My first thought was also "is this current gen?" Watch Dogs, looking to pre-order.

then... Rayman!

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

It's 360, PS3 and PC (used for the demo).
#32 Posted by pweidman (2298 posts) -

Just saw that. Extremely impressive, platform or no, and the most interesting thing so far this E3 easily. Glimpse of next-gen potential. Thank you UBI.

#33 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

Serously can not wait for this game now.

Only thing that really excited me this year.

Oh and Quantic Dream's new game.

#34 Posted by JRock3x8 (238 posts) -

I think this is the first time I wanted to jump out of my chair and cheer since the first Halo 3 trailer back in 2006.

I also think this is the first time a game has used Chicago as its setting in this level of detail. Everything I saw with the exception of the "Chicago" Theatre sign which was modified to something else was photo realistic and accurate and I walk past those locations every day.

The setting more than anything else has me super super stoked.

#35 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

I don't like that dude's hat.

#36 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@Jimbo
@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

@fisk0 said:

@niamahai said:

It's 360, PS3 and PC (used for the demo).
I'd shocked if Durango/Orbis don't get this down the line. Ubisoft's CEO even said on GameTrailers "and then we'll see" after listing the three aforementioned platforms.

It's the same thing with Star Wars 1313, after all the recent job listings for it at LucasArts described it as "future gen". It's just awkward timing for these games since the next gen systems haven't been actually announced yet.

And Ubisoft doing a multigenerational release isn't even new. I remember Splinter Cell and possibly others got the same treatment at the beginning of this gen.
#37 Posted by falconpunch (177 posts) -

looks great

#38 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Very impressed with Watch Dogs. I think it will definetly be something to remember.

#39 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

It was a pretty dandy suprise indeed. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this game soon.

It did kind of rocked my socks a little.

Where are those damn things anyway?

#40 Edited by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I'll get excited when it's a buyable game and not a glorified tech demo. It looks great, but over promising at E3 and under delivering at launch happens to often for me to get too hyped.

#41 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

@niamahai said:

Hello Mr. Negativity, holy crap haha.

I see it more like Assassin's Creed. It'll be good, get amazing with a sequel. Ubisoft will then exploit the hell out of it and yet the games will be great because of the core gameplay.

#42 Posted by erikalui (21 posts) -

The game looks too good currently and hope Ubisoft will make its gamers happy by presenting them with the best features and looks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.