Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

If you had planned to pick up Watch Dogs on release have the reviews made you change your mind?

• 95 results
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll If you had planned to pick up Watch Dogs on release have the reviews made you change your mind? (309 votes)

No - I'm still getting the game 50%
    Yes - I've decided not to buy it for now 50%

Just a little bit of research. I was quite interested in this game and was planning to buy it Day 1. However the reviews have really put me off and I am going to hold of, maybe for ever, definitely until it is a bit cheaper.

How about you? - I'm really trying to get an idea of whether reviews affect Giant Bomb readers.

• 
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

I don't pay attention to reviews. I am 29 years old and that decision has yet to steer me wrong. I know what I am getting into and its what I want. If I paid attention to reviews I see good review scores but those same reviewers turn around and complain about the games like they weren't as good as they made out. This happens all the time. I love discussions and dialogue about games, but reviews aren't necessary for me nor do they have a point.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sammo21 said:

I love discussions and dialogue about games, but reviews aren't necessary for me nor do they have a point.

Same here. I know it's a generalization but I feel 90% of professional reviewers out there are not looking for the same things I look for in a game. Most of the Watch Dogs reviews that I've read fit with this theory for me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yep, I was totally gonna get it, but decided the game would be better suited to buying on sale. I mean nothing against the game at all. I actually think it looks okay, but I could honestly out my money toward other things right now. I really only buy games like this at release if it's setting the world on fire, other wise I just wait for a good ol' steam sale.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, apparently it's not the next Deus Ex conspiracy story I was looking for. I'll probably wait 'till it's really cheap.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Poonz

Even before the reviews came out I was on the fence. Usually I don't care to much about a score but, the reviews have pointed out the exact things I was worried about. I don't want to play the same GTA-Clone Open World game that gets really repetitive after 5 hours.

Usually if the story is really good or there's some gameplay mechanic (Sleeping Dogs) that grabs me. There might be something in Watch Dogs that does that for me but, I still think I'm gonna wait till I can find it cheaper in a few months.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SongWriter1987

Yeah, the TotalBiscuit WTF is pretty much what helped me decided that there is no way I'm spending 60 dollars on this. TB plays with SLI Titan and a 3930k, thats 2500 dollars in CPU and GPU, and the game DOES NOT RUN AT 60 FPS on ultra, with an absurdly powerful rig. So the game is optimized like shit and doesn't look pretty enough to rationalize that kind of performance. Fuck that. No thanks.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not so much reviews, but from what i've seen i'm just meh about it.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prepaid for it at launch then they canceled on me and then after that the hype train had died for me. I decided to see how the reviews turned out and it has turned out to be kind of meh. Since it's meh I am going to wait for to show up on Xbox live or PlayStation plus for free.

Spek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't made the jump to a current gen system so I was thinking about getting this for 360. The Quick Look didn't leave me with the burning need to follow that up immediately, though. Maybe when I pick up a new console? Sounds like a lot of games are getting pushed to 2015.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By conmulligan

I'm definitely a little more apprehensive.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell naw. Seeing the final product played helped me change my mind, because I get my fun open world fix from Sleeping Dogs, GTA4 PC and soon GTA5 PS4. WD does jack, I've got my fill in what I want, I've got satisfying driving, actual melee and fine shooting.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting - so far, going buy this admittedly unrepresentative sample Ubi would have had almost 100% more week 1 sales if the reviews (and the game) were a bit better.

The Power of Gertz.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Nope. I started downloading it this morning and will play it after work. I'll admit I looked at the reviews this morning before I did, though. The 8-ish range was honestly about what I was expecting, and it probably would have had to be in the 6 range for me to hold off. Reviews aren't the end-all, but they'll generally at least let you know if the game is totally broken or something, which this thankfully appears not to be. I'm under no delusion that this is some incredible game, but for me, having already finished ACIV, with R* keeping mum on the GTAV next-gen port, and with pretty much nothing on the next-gen horizon for the rest of 2014 that has me particularly excited, it made sense to pick this up. Even if it's not overly great, it's likely good enough at least.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people acting like the reviews are negative? The majority of reviews I've seen say the game is fun even the more "negative" ones.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like a game that fans of open world games will enjoy... maybe it is similar to other open world games, but I can't get enough of those kinds of games.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game has been ok so far but I probably would have waited for a drop in price if I looked at the reviews coming out now

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews showed me it's everything I was expecting, still picking it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews tell me I can wait for a sale now. :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already got it and played a few hours last night. Oddly enough, people who write these reviews are not the end-all be-all for my thoughts on games, and it's seems pretty great. Though I tend not to drown myself in hype before games are released.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright I gotta be totally honest.

I was never planning on getting Watch Dogs I was just hoping that Ubi would deep discount AC4 when it was released :P

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nasp

nope nothing changed.i expected it to be atleast great or amazing,and what ive seen gameplay and review wise seems like the game is atleast great or amazing.not surprised since imo ubisoft is atleast one of if not the best game developers ever.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Solh0und

I'll be waiting for the inevitable Ubisoft price drop to happen.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well, I did pay for it. I'd like to play it, but Uplay seems to be down or something, and I don't really want to deal with cracking it or whatever, so I guess I'll just wait until later... after work, I guess.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

Unless it got like 1-2 stars across the board I wouldn't really change my mind about buying it. I like open world and I like driving cars - it's kind of a done deal.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ordered the Watchdogs PS4 bundle, so if i canceled it i wouldnt have gotten a PS4 for several months. But i would probably still get it if i got a "normal" PS4.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@songwriter1987: I completely agree with you, I won't support a shitty PC port unless the game will make me breakfast or something.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews have been mostly 8 to 9 what is up with everyone acting like they are negative?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look interesting, but I'll hold off a bit.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think reviews should be a yes or no on whether someone should buy a game or not. There are plenty of games that reviews have rated low that I have had a great time playing despite the reviewer not liking the game. Jeff has expressed how much he dislikes Yoshis Island, and would probably review it poorly, but there are a lot of people out there who still enjoyed that game.

The way I personally judge whether or not I will buy a game lately is to watch the Quick Look for it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got mine. Plus the reviews have been pretty positive

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually bought the game, the hype got to me. But also I could really go for an urban open world game right now (been playing a lot of fantasy rpg's lately)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading reviews and watching quick looks etc have convinced me the game is completely average, and i'll buy it on sale later on.

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I never got on the hype train for this game, the e3 trailers promised so much, no way it would deliver what we saw or imagined we saw. Only way I would buy it was if the reviews said that was the holy grail of open worlded fun.

The reviews for this game also state how the score system on reviews is messed up, lots of 8s while many state disappointment, I wish my college grades were 8/10 whenever I disappointed the professors...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm still as excited for it now, as I was when they announced it. I don't understand the sudden backlash the game is experiencing.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikey87144

I got it for $48 so not that bad. It really sucks how bad the PC port is.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The quicklook has me even more interested.

But ya, I already have this coming with a video card I bought. It came with it.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm still as excited for it now, as I was when they announced it. I don't understand the sudden backlash the game is experiencing.

Eh, I don't think there's really any more backlash than with any other game.

I'm a little less excited just because it's been SO long since that original trailer, but nothing I've seen/read so far has convinced me that this isn't a game I still want to play.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Jeust

@gike987 said:

The reviews have been mostly 8 to 9 what is up with everyone acting like they are negative?

Personally I think the main problem aren't the reviews, but the assessment that the game doesn't live up to the hype, being a good game but not that unique or innovative. Which makes sense since this game was publicized as one of the stars of the new generation of consoles, along with Titanfall, Destiny and The Division.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vonocourt

Just got home from work and saw this thread. OP made it seem like it was averaging 6-7s, but a 82 percent on metacritic for the PS4, come on now. And that's with Jeff's overall positive three out of five being treated as a 60%.

Holding out 'till I get that twenty dollars in Best Buy bucks from buying Wolfenstein, then I'll decide. Had been my plan for a while now, reviews didn't alter one way or the other.

Psychonautics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@songwriter1987: There are day one Nvidia drivers that I think fixes most of these issues. Playing on an i3770k @ 4.5 ghz with a GTX680 4gb on everything Ultra except the super ambient occlusion setting and it is buttery smooth.

I decided to buy it, the reviews pretty much confirmed what I was expecting and i've been itching for a decent open wold GTA style game (Skipped Sleepy Dawgs). Graphics are pretty great and I've been having fun so far. The multiplayer has been a blast with the few games i've played of it.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as I already had the game before most reviews broke,no. Not that I give a shit about reviews anyway. I'm nearly 32 years old and can decide for myself. A review is only one persons opinion. Example, if I was a reviewer, I would have given Dark Souls a 2 stars/4-5 points, because I don't like that game. I am apparently alone in this opinion, but it's still my opinion.

What is blowin my mind is everyone bitching and crying because it got 7's and 8's(not so much on Giantbomb, but IGN, Gamespot, etc.. ) Those are good scores. Jeff's score of 3 stars is one of the lower reviews I've seen, and he even wrote that it's not a bad game, it just doesn't do much to set itself apart. It seems to be a common thread in current times that if something isn't a 9-10, then its crap. And not just with games, either. Movies, Music, TV etc..

Either way, I've played a few hours and I have yet to regret my purchase.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's with people bitching about the PC port being shitty? I'm running everything on high, never dipping below 30fps, and (I think) it still looks better than the console versions.... And it's not like I'm running a top-tier rig.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i canceled my limited edition and am now buying the standard edition. so yes and no basically.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gike987: The game was positioned as the first real next-gen title initially, so I think the expectations got out of hand. People were hoping for something new and revolutionary, but instead received just another open world game with a cliched story.

Me personally, I'm sick of the brooding hero, and was never interested in this game. I did think Assassin's Creed 4 was great though, and got it because the hero was happy and having a blast... so Ubi wins anyway.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered this game back in October because it looked like a good game. I'll be the judge on whether it's good or not.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews have been pretty good. Why would they make you not get the game?

jertornas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having a blast with it, some of the crime missions can be a bit repetitive but otherwise it's quite enjoyable. So, the third option for me would "No, already bought it"

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ripelivejam

so i guess infamous second son ended up being the more next-jenny of the next-gen console open world games...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By AndrewB

The reviews point me towards my preconceived answer of "no," while the Giant Bomb quick look, for as middling-to-negative as the overall tone (Jeff's in particular) is, makes me want to play it. Maybe I can at least wait until it isn't full price, since I'm as always swamped by other gaming distractions anyway. Plus, I'm not looking forward to the first game in a long while where I might need to tweak some clock settings to get a more steady level of performance (even though Watch_Dogs has bumped down its technical quality considerably since pre-release media and even compared to last generation games like GTA 4, though granted that game was afforded some graphical advantages by cutting corners in other areas).

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can think for myself so reviews never deter me. Also the game is getting good reviews. I'm not sure if this topic is trying to indicate otherwise, unless we're on the silly thought process of anything below a 9.5 is garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.