New screenshot revealed.

• 58 results
#1 Edited by Zereta (1365 posts) -
#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Very hot. 

@Zereta said:

No way this is a current-gen game. 

Why not? It's running on a PC in that screenshot. Take Battlefield 3, it looks next gen on PC, but current gen on consoles. Same with Watch Dogs (unless they're actually saving it for next gen).
#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yupp, continues to look pretty!

#4 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

They have said that it is coming to current-gen hardware, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this is also coming to next-gen hardware as well.

#5 Posted by MachoFantastico (4651 posts) -

Watch Dogs is current-gen, Ubisoft have said themselves haven't they. It looks current-gen when you compare it to say Star Wars 1313. 

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9890 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic Yeah this could easily wind up getting bumped down. We're in that weird Gun/original Most Wanted period where games are going to come out on both current and next gen.

Plus, they've been rendering at 1080 and bumping stuff down for consoles for like 5 years now.
#7 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

no that is a photo.../buying a pc

#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

That doesn't look next gen. Crysis 2 looks on par with that or maybe even better.

#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5538 posts) -

PC games look amazing guys. I don't know if you have heard. I hope this inspires console only people to learn about PC gaming.

#10 Posted by Pie (7080 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Very hot.

@Zereta said:

No way this is a current-gen game.

Why not? It's running on a PC in that screenshot. Take Battlefield 3, it looks next gen on PC, but current gen on consoles. Same with Watch Dogs (unless they're actually saving it for next gen).

BF3 on PC really doesn't look like a generations difference than on console

#11 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@hidys said:

They have said that it is coming to current-gen hardware,

But I really don't wanna know how big of a visual hit it's gonna take. I bet some people think the game will actually look like that on their 360/PS3 just cause they say those are the platforms along with PC^^

#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

That doesn't look next gen. Crysis 2 looks on par with that or maybe even better.

Aw, what's wrong? Not enough light bloom and lens flare for you?

#13 Posted by pweidman (2326 posts) -

Wow, just gorgeous. This will be played on my pc; current consoles have no chance to do it justice so next-gen or no is pretty moot to me.

#14 Posted by SpheriQ (87 posts) -

Here's a mod for GTA IV running on current PC's

#15 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

That's it. It's time to save up for a monster pc. I'd be stupid not to.

#16 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Does Battlefield 3 really look "next gen" on PCs? I mean I saw the Witcher 2 running on a powerful PC a few months ago and it was impressive for sure but I hope that isn't what next gen games will aim for it doesn't scream next generation to me, just "hey! look more detail".

#17 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

Does Battlefield 3 really look "next gen" on PCs? I mean I saw the Witcher 2 running on a powerful PC a few months ago and it was impressive for sure but I hope that isn't what next gen games will aim for it doesn't scream next generation to me, just "hey! look more detail".

That's what next generation will be. There probably won't be a generation that wows us with graphics again until we make the jump to 4K televisions.
#18 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

what are you expecting from the next gen though.

#19 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

@AngelN7 said:

That's what next generation will be. There probably won't be a generation that wows us with graphics again until we make the jump to 4K televisions.

Could we have 4K games running through a cloud-based gaming system?

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3627 posts) -

Something doesn't feel right. It's looks more like a concept art than actual screenshot.

#21 Edited by Bollard (5451 posts) -

Looking at the full size version: http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_285519.jpg

Yeah, looks like current stuff on PC. Still amazingly pretty (playing Skryim modded and maxed and BF3 maxed is also stellar) but not anything off the wall.

EDIT: Also, of course it's going to look amazing if you take a 1080p screenshot and display it at like 640x480. You won't see the textures and jaggies and polygons. Look at that full res one if that image is still blowing your mind somehow.

@AngelN7 said:

As other people have said, next gen will just be "hey, more detail" anyway. Also, next gen consoles are probably going to look about as good as PCs do right now, or worse if they aim for a $300 price tag. So yes, I'd say BF3 and Witcher 2 do look next gen.

@glyn said:

@Jack268 said:

@AngelN7 said:

Could we have 4K games running through a cloud-based gaming system?

With our current download speeds, no, not at all. Getting 1080p over the internet is still a stuggle for most people, so it'll be a while before we can send ~4x that amount of data.

#22 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Even though this is coming out on current gen I'm convinced it wont come out till next gen consoles any way. I'd say its a 360\720\PS3\WiiU\PC game and PS4 a year later!

@AngelN7 said:

Every single thing on Max with highest resolution at 60 frames per second locked in a middle of 64 tanks, cars and Infantry all going for 1 flag.......Yep it looks pretty next gen!

@laserbolts said:

Wait and see what the next xbox does, they probably will cut some crazy deal with Nvidia or ATI for high end graphics cards for dirt cheap,

#23 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

look on par with current PC games... let me know when you guys find a real next-gen screenshot.

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@doobie said:

@AngelN7 said:

A more significant upgrade , a graphically noticeable difference, the techinical stuff PCs pull off is impressive (well they're suppose to do that so it shouldn't) but under all of those light effects and slighty better texture you're still seeing the same game, the details do certantly make a difference but not a next-gen like one.

#25 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@doobie said:

@AngelN7 said:

A more significant upgrade , a graphically noticeable difference, the techinical stuff PCs pull off is impressive (well they're suppose to do that so it shouldn't) but under all of those light effects and slighty better texture you're still seeing the same game, the details do certantly make a difference but not a next-gen like one.

I kind of want the Assassin's Creed moment again, when they showed that I was absolutely blown away.

#26 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Even though this is coming out on current gen I'm convinced it wont come out till next gen consoles any way. I'd say its a 360\720\PS3\WiiU\PC game and PS4 a year later!

@AngelN7 said:

Every single thing on Max with highest resolution at 60 frames per second locked in a middle of 64 tanks, cars and Infantry all going for 1 flag.......Yep it looks pretty next gen!

@laserbolts said:

Wait and see what the next xbox does, they probably will cut some crazy deal with Nvidia or ATI for high end graphics cards for dirt cheap,

Well better frame does make games look/run better and that's stuff current consoles can't pull off without struggle I'll give you that, at the same time PCs are supposed to do that when you use the maximum of their capabilities given the hardware they have but I still don't think is significant enough to put those side by side and say this is from a PS2 and this is from a PS3 , but more like this is from a PS3 and this is from a PC where they kinda look the same but the PC is obviously better looking in terms of details.

#27 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Looks good as expected but I've still no idea what the gameplay entails of which I'm more interested in.

#28 Posted by AjayRaz (12425 posts) -

maybe it's because i just woke up but i don't think that looks very amazing

#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Yes, it looks like concept art to me.

#30 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

Is a screenshot but what they've shown of the game looks very impressive regardess of hardware.

#31 Posted by AjayRaz (12425 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@AjayRaz said:

Is a screenshot but what they've shown of the game looks very impressive regardess of hardware.

in motion, it looks wonderful

#32 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Their dynamic shadows look very reminiscent to GTAIV (well, the concrete jungle also makes that comparison a bit easier too). The reflections on the car look a little off, but that could also be from jpg compression.

Overall, I could see this doing as Gun did when the 360 first came out, and come out on the older hardware and newer hardware.

#33 Posted by alternate (2700 posts) -

I have seen bull-shots of GTA 4 that look like this - especially on PC with that texture mod.. Can't judge anything about generation from a static screeny like this.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

I would have to see more. Its not really impressing me at the moment.

#35 Posted by nasseh (83 posts) -

@probablytuna: Nah, I don't think this is concept art. It definitely doesn't look like it's been digitally painted; plus you can see all the aliasing around objects so it's most likely running in an engine of some sort.

Looks great nonetheless.

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Like many others have said, this is what stuff looks like on the PC right now. A lot of devs don't make the effort to take advantage of what a PC has to offer over a console, so that's why you don't see stuff like that that wows console-ites very often. Usually we just end up with straight ports that have higher resolution/AA/AF but a lot of wasted potential.

#37 Posted by SomeJerk (3219 posts) -

I actually went "meh" because this is GTA4 with the ENB beautifucation patch running fine on a PC that was top of the line two years ago. GTA4 with that patch looks and Battlefield 3 PC reaching the top detail looks "pretty damn good" to our PC gamer eyes.

Buying the shit outta this if it's got GTA4 like sandboxing "make your own game" capabilities.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I wanna hack that subway train and make everybody late!

#39 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Its current gen in the sense that it will also come out on current gen consoles. I'm gonna bet the version they have been showing, running on the high end PCs, are what we'll get for the next gen consoles.

And it makes sense. Not everyone is going to jump on the Next-gen ship immediately and if they want Watch Dogs to be their next big IP (Assassin's Creed Style), they may as well allow this game to get current gen gamers in as well so that when they do upgrade their consoles, in time for say, Watch Dogs 2, they know what the Watch Dogs IP and game experience is all about.

#40 Posted by Icemael (6317 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
@AngelN7 said:

Why this obsession with resolution? We don't need 4K for video game graphics to wow us. We don't even need 720p for video game graphics to wow us. The most technologically impressive games running on today's most powerful PCs have absolutely nothing on a live-action film (or a good CG one) being displayed on a quality SDTV. This fixation with increase in resolution is if anything hampering progress in video game graphics, since the power going into displaying the games at ridiculously and unnecessarily high resolutions could be put to much better use elsewhere.

I for one would be very happy to see the next two or three console generations stay at 720p and instead focus on animation etc. The resolution should of course be increased eventually, but why rush it when there are far more important things in need of improvement?
#41 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

Something doesn't feel right. It's looks more like a concept art than actual screenshot.

There wouldn't be as much aliasing if it were a concept art

#42 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

I LOVE SCREENSHOTZ

#43 Edited by sungahymn (1007 posts) -

Nice and pretty.

I chuckled at that lower right corner. "Watch D- CVG!"

#44 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Can't wait to go to wriggly ville.

#45 Posted by believer258 (11816 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

I don't think that looks on par with Crysis 2. I wouldn't say it's a huge leap from Crysis 2, but then I'm not really expecting a huge leap next gen. I expect next gen to give us crisper and clearer graphics, better lighting, more particles, and higher resolution textures, along with other little things like clothes and hair that don't look like plastic, etc., but I don't think we'll ever see as huge a graphical jump between console generations as we saw before.

Really, the last massive jump was PS1/N64 - PS2/GC/Xbox. If you look at games like Jak and Daxter and Halo and Metroid Prime after some anti-aliasing and up-ressing, they don't look as far behind as you might think. I played Halo Anniversary a few days ago on the old graphics and didn't even recognize that I was doing so, I thought I was on the newer ones, and Metroid Prime can still hold its own against a lot of modern games.

#46 Edited by Castiel (2580 posts) -

@Icemael said:

I for one would be very happy to see the next two or three console generations stay at 720p

No fucking way! They have to upgrade the resolution for the upcoming console generations, maybe they could get away with it for the next generation keeping it at 720p, even though I would be pretty dissapointed if that's the case, but the second console generation into the future sure as hell can't be 720p or else it IS going to look extremely outdated at that point, compared to the way film and tv is going.

And I get what you mean btw, I for one would be happy to see developers focus more on building better more realistic worlds inhabited with nps with a more unpredictable and believable AI than seeing them using resources on the game running in 1080p. But I don't believe that it should be such a big problem with the next generation, it's the next generation for gods sake, and if the next generation isn't capable of running games at atleast a solid 60fps at 1080p, then Sony or Microsoft have fucked up.

#47 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1324 posts) -

Honestly this looks in-game to me, if anything the train's motion blur MIGHT have been done after the fact but game's can have object blur fairly easily. I don't get the 'this must be next-gen' talk really, the game looks nice but it's not a leap from where we are right now. People are foolishly assuming this is what it's going to look like on consoles I guess, iunno why you'd think that considering games on consoles are usually running at half these resolutions and developers have for a long time been showing PC versions of games. Why the frick not also, why not show off what your game actually looks like at it's best, most the time screens are even run through to add some smoothing on the edges as well if they don't have an in-game system set up for AA yet (or just aren't doing anymore than 4x on consoles, or aren't happy with how that looks).

I see all the tell tale signs of the image being from a running video game build, no reason for the image to be 100% doctored unless they are doing it for convenience sake. Considering they have a working build of the game going, and judging from what we've really seen already from real running code once again there's no reason to think this is 'fake' or anything.

As a side note, you should notice that no one in that image has hair. Short hair or a hat... no actual hair. Video games... one day we'll get hair in them :)

#48 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

Yep. That's a videogame

#49 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I am going to sound like a PC elitist douchebag for saying this, but I'll say it anyway. It definitely looks pretty, and a small step up from what games with enhancement-mods do today. If you think it's mindblowing despite seeing the full-rez screenshot with all the jagged edges because of lack of AA then you can't have seen modern games run on a fast PC. It looks great, don't get me wrong, but it's not "next gen" in the sense you talk about.

#50 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Holy eff. A modern city. Every other game ever... ball's in your court now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.