Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

Scripted or sandbox?

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kierkegaard

That traffic stopping sequence looked planned, but the game never told the player, "hey, go cause an accident." I'm thinking you could wait for the DeMarco to come into the club or other variations. What do you guys think? Linear progression or Hitman style assassinations with multiple paths?

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MikeW1980UK

I assume everthing in that demo was scripted, just like I imagine every demo at an E3 press conference is scripted. Still, got my attention.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ExplodeMode

Scripted, conceptual. A vertical ass slice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It'll end up as sandboxy as the kills in Assassin's Creed.  It'll say "use jamming to cause a pileup" and if you don't do it, it'll say "target escaped!"

They didn't spend thousands of dollars animating a Drag Guy Out Of Car Say Some Stuff At Him Shoot Him sequence to have you shoot his car with a rocket launcher/force his car off a bridge/tail him and hit him with a throwing star as he gets out of his car.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Totori

I bet that's the scripted tutorial mission.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By slyspider

Don't care, sexyness was seen by me

JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JFetch

Scripted. If you watch the two demos you'll see the same things happen at the same time. The girl in the car gets shot both times even though in one demo the player wasn't near her. It's an early demo though, it's supposed to be scripted to show off certain things.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

Scripted AND they weren't really playing that video. The exact same video was up on YouTube seconds after the presentation.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@Maajin said:

Scripted AND they weren't really playing that video. The exact same video was up on YouTube seconds after the presentation.

Also, the version up on Youtube has a subtlely different ending. In the press conference, it switches perspective to another character, and actually gives another mission objective (which almost seems like 'wait, is this the wrong build of the game?') right before pulling back and giving the title of the game. In the one I'm seeing on Youtube, the focus stays on Aidan Pierce as he steals a car, then hacks the bridge controls to turn them into a sweet ramp, then the title of the game comes up.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By intro

He chooses to jam the traffic light, but it seemed there were more options.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Kierkegaard

@Brodehouse said:

It'll end up as sandboxy as the kills in Assassin's Creed. It'll say "use jamming to cause a pileup" and if you don't do it, it'll say "target escaped!" They didn't spend thousands of dollars animating a Drag Guy Out Of Car Say Some Stuff At Him Shoot Him sequence to have you shoot his car with a rocket launcher/force his car off a bridge/tail him and hit him with a throwing star as he gets out of his car.

Eh, they could have. Hitman team has. Sure, you'll have limited options, but I can imagine letting the dude park, sneaking up on him on foot, and not having to run from the cops. Or bringing that whole installation down on top of him. It's not inconcievable that that section could be played in multiple ways. He choose to run from the bouncers, for instance.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero

Everything is pre-recorded at these shows.

If I had to make a guess I would say that was a portion of the single player stiched together with some online component.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

If we can work together (and maybe against each other?) in a huge city that'll be very interesting. It sounds really hard to do right though, I hope they can achieve it and possibly start a great new IP.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

I'm almost 100% sure that every demo was scripted so as to ensure a "good" show. Hell, I'd even bet that any Skyrim demos were scripted and that game is pretty damn open.

I do hope that the full game isn't scripted, though. I'll take clunky action and odd bugs over the uber-linearity that comes with most games these days.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#15  Edited By Kidavenger

It had to be scripted, imagine playing the game and those incidents didn't happen, it would be just another crappy shooter, which is what I imagine most of that game actually will be.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spartanlolz92

they said in interviews its open world.

bu this is probably a scripted event i mean gta has them so does assasins creed.

even if this is scrpited he couldve used one of the other features to take him down like let him get to the club jam the communications so hes like wtf and then blast his brains out.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fjordson

This looked amazing, but thinking about it more after the presser, I really wonder how a full game of this would play. Having it be truly open world seems tough without everything being scripted.

I mean, will you have access to all those hacking abilities in between missions? People already complain about killing sprees and other crazy stuff in Grand Theft Auto clashing with the more serious story. And that's just running over a few cops or killing random hookers. What happens when you can take down integral city systems in seconds? Derailing trains, causing massive car crashes, etc.. You could cause city-wide pandemonium pretty quickly. And then you're supposed to go into a mission, like the one we saw in the demo, and be low key?

Also, what happens if De Marco doesn't crash there? Does a mission failed screen pop up and make you retry it? Or can you just wait outside for him in a car, and tail him once he leaves the art gallery? And then where does he go?

I really hope this turns out well. Looked fantastic and it seems ambitious. But I need to see more, pretty skeptical right now.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShockD

Since it's Ubisoft, I assume it will be something sandbox-ISH like Assassin's Creed. Then again almost every mission will have it's scripts.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Well then, my excitement for Watch_Dogs has just been demolished by this thread. 

Eh, it's for the better. Disappointment was pending anyway.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jimbo

We don't know what the other powers are yet, but there's nothing special about the 'Fuck with the traffic lights' power as long as you read it as 'Make the nearest x cars crash into each other at the intersection'.  I'm sure you'll be able to trigger that at a random intersection if you really want to (probably on a cooldown or something).

I would expect you to typically have a handful of options available for dealing with a situation. For instance, I don't think that mission would force you to go outside and cause a car crash. It might say you have to talk to him before killing him (ie. just killing him on sight would be a fail state) or it might have an alternative where you can pick up whatever info you need from him from a PDA on his body or something.  I agree that the very specific cutscene suggests there would only be one way to deal with the situation, but it was from a controlled demo in which they were trying to show off the game in the most impressive light possible.  Everything before that point did not imply strict linearity in that mission.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60
    @AhmadMetallic
    Well then, my excitement for Watch_Dogs has just been demolished by this thread. 

Ugh..:/
    doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By doobie

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well then, my excitement for Watch_Dogs has just been demolished by this thread. Eh, it's for the better. Disappointment was pending anyway.

so you're going to let a thread full of conjecture sway your opinion...

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By pweidman

The demo was obviously heavily scripted to show off the game, so we'll have to wait and see about the real gameplay options. But damn that world and the detail in it just blew me away. So many questions, but mine would start w/platforms, and a fidelity comparison to what they showed at E3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CL60 said:
    @AhmadMetallic

@doobie said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well then, my excitement for Watch_Dogs has just been demolished by this thread. Eh, it's for the better. Disappointment was pending anyway.

You tell me, do the "it's scripted" posts make perfect sense or not? 
    Exactly..
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AhmadMetallic Really consider the alternative. What makes the Hitman sandbox element fun is that there are so many options packed into a small area. When you start extending that to an entire city it's lost, you wind up doing The Thing That Worked Before every single time.

That's becoming a problem with 'toolbox' games like Assassin's Creed and Infamous and so on. They give you 8 different tools to accomplish your objective but you naturally gravitate towards The One That Works Every Time. BioShock had the same issue with electrobolt and the wrench. You can either choose the one that works or something suboptimal, and that's an unfortunate choice.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By N7

The demo could have been scripted to the heavens and back, but it doesn't change how amazing it was.

The game, however, will not be scripted. You could have handled that mission in a lot of different ways.

Or maybe I could have taken a different approach. Maybe I could’ve followed the guy to the park and then taken him out much more subtly than just starting a firefight. So I think letting players express their freedom – and not just through violence, though he’s definitely capable of it – and mixing it up with his ability for control, that’s the sweet spot. I mean, he hacked a traffic light but ended up in a firefight. That’s the sweet spot we’re aiming for.

Rock Paper Shotgun
    doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By doobie

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CL60 said:
    @AhmadMetallic

@doobie said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

You tell me, do the "it's scripted" posts make perfect sense or not? Exactly..

they just sound like guesses to me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo
    @Brodehouse said:
    @AhmadMetallic Really consider the alternative. What makes the Hitman sandbox element fun is that there are so many options packed into a small area. When you start extending that to an entire city it's lost, you wind up doing The Thing That Worked Before every single time. That's becoming a problem with 'toolbox' games like Assassin's Creed and Infamous and so on. They give you 8 different tools to accomplish your objective but you naturally gravitate towards The One That Works Every Time. BioShock had the same issue with electrobolt and the wrench. You can either choose the one that works or something suboptimal, and that's an unfortunate choice.
    It's only a problem if one of the tools is the equivalent of a sonic screwdriver, or if they keep presenting you with the same task over and over again.  If they change the paramaters of the tasks enough, or incentivise different approaches enough, they should be able to avoid that issue.

I agree that the 'sonic screwdriver' issue has become more prevalent in games though, and it is unfortunate (it's all but killed FPS as far as I'm concerned). Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, for example, is a much more varied and enjoyable experience if you choose to follow the 100% sync objectives - it's just a question of incentivising it sufficiently for people to bother.  Make it make sense in-game to not just take the cheap option every time.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jimbo said:
    @Brodehouse said:
    @AhmadMetallic Really consider the alternative. What makes the Hitman sandbox element fun is that there are so many options packed into a small area. When you start extending that to an entire city it's lost, you wind up doing The Thing That Worked Before every single time. That's becoming a problem with 'toolbox' games like Assassin's Creed and Infamous and so on. They give you 8 different tools to accomplish your objective but you naturally gravitate towards The One That Works Every Time. BioShock had the same issue with electrobolt and the wrench. You can either choose the one that works or something suboptimal, and that's an unfortunate choice.
    It's only a problem if one of the tools is the equivalent of a sonic screwdriver, or if they keep presenting you with the same task over and over again.  If they change the paramaters of the tasks enough, or incentivise different approaches enough, they should be able to avoid that issue.  I agree that the 'sonic screwdriver' issue has become more prevalent in games though, and it is unfortunate (it's all but killed FPS as far as I'm concerned). Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, for example, is a much more varied and enjoyable experience if you choose to follow the 100% sync objectives - it's just a question of incentivising it sufficiently for people to bother.  Make it make sense in-game to not just take the cheap option every time.
    Yup, I agree with this. Watch Dogs could totally be a non-scripted multi-optioned cyberpunk/spy adventure if the tasks are ballsy enough to be diverse and break out of the norm of video games, and if the game actually implements a legitimate system within a game that allows multiple, equally awesome approaches and results, rather than piling pseudo options on top of the thing that worked.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Fjordson said:

I mean, will you have access to all those hacking abilities in between missions? People already complain about killing sprees and other crazy stuff in Grand Theft Auto clashing with the more serious story. And that's just running over a few cops or killing random hookers. What happens when you can take down integral city systems in seconds? Derailing trains, causing massive car crashes, etc.. You could cause city-wide pandemonium pretty quickly. And then you're supposed to go into a mission, like the one we saw in the demo, and be low key?

I've never really understood this complaint. In GTA*, you don't have to go around on a crazy ass killing spree. You just have the option--much, as dark as it sounds, like real life. Open world games are about giving players a certain set of tools in an environment which they can then alter. The crazy killing sprees and insane nonsense that gamers then do is of their own volition, and I don't think the developers should be held accountable for it or force large constraints on to what a player can choose to do. However, if you want to argue that perhaps developers don't but enough counter measures to going totally apeshit, well, then I'd be in agreement with you somewhat.

* I'll admit that this is a contentious claim as the older ones had things like "rampages" and what not, but those are still pretty optional things that you can choose to do (and seems to be, thematically, something Rockstar is no longer interested in). Other open world games like Bethesda games or Assassin's Creed, however, are similar games that don't necessarily require open mass slaughter but merely leave it open as an option.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael
    @N7 said:

The demo could have been scripted to the heavens and back, but it doesn't change how amazing it was.

The game, however, will not be scripted. You could have handled that mission in a lot of different ways.

Or maybe I could have taken a different approach. Maybe I could’ve followed the guy to the park and then taken him out much more subtly than just starting a firefight. So I think letting players express their freedom – and not just through violence, though he’s definitely capable of it – and mixing it up with his ability for control, that’s the sweet spot. I mean, he hacked a traffic light but ended up in a firefight. That’s the sweet spot we’re aiming for.

Rock Paper Shotgun
    In Gamespot's livestream the developers said you could also complete the mission by hacking a drawbridge to cause a traffic jam, and shooting the target with a silenced sniper rifle from a rooftop. So yeah, unless they're lying there will definitely be options.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Fjordson said:

I've never really understood this complaint. In GTA*, you don't have to go around on a crazy ass killing spree. You just have the option--much, as dark as it sounds, like real life. Open world games are about giving players a certain set of tools in an environment which they can then alter. The crazy killing sprees and insane nonsense that gamers then do is of their own volition, and I don't think the developers should be held accountable for it or force large constraints on to what a player can choose to do. However, if you want to argue that perhaps developers don't but enough counter measures to going totally apeshit, well, then I'd be in agreement with you somewhat.

* I'll admit that this is a contentious claim as the older ones had things like "rampages" and what not, but those are still pretty optional things that you can choose to do (and seems to be, thematically, something Rockstar is no longer interested in). Other open world games like Bethesda games or Assassin's Creed, however, are similar games that don't necessarily require open mass slaughter but merely leave it open as an option.

The developer is always accountable for the experience to some degree (short of the player deliberately being a dick or whatever), because they designed the game.  If they make a conscious decision to give you the tools and opportunity (even incentive in some cases) to act like a dumbass between missions because it's 'fun' or whatever, they are also responsible for any loss of immersion that follows as a result of the player deciding to act like that.

There's not really a right or wrong answer here, it just depends what experience the developer is trying to deliver.  The Mafia games use an open-world setting without being intended as sandbox games, and that does have certain benefits, like the game feeling more focussed in what it's trying to achieve. I imagine Watch Dogs will be very sandboxy in between missions if people want to treat it like that, but depending on what the developer is trying to achieve, it might make sense for them to disincentivise (your character) acting like a dumbass just for the sake of it.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Jimbo said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Fjordson said:

The developer is always accountable for the experience to some degree (short of the player deliberately being a dick or whatever), because they designed the game. If they make a conscious decision to give you the tools and opportunity (even incentive in some cases) to act like a dumbass between missions because it's 'fun' or whatever, they are also responsible for any loss of immersion that follows as a result of the player deciding to act like that. There's not really a right or wrong answer here, it just depends what experience the developer is trying to deliver. The Mafia games use an open-world setting without being intended as sandbox games, and that does have certain benefits, like the game feeling more focussed in what it's trying to achieve. I imagine Watch Dogs will be very sandboxy in between missions if people want to treat it like that, but depending on what the developer is trying to achieve, it might make sense for them to disincentivise (your character) acting like a dumbass just for the sake of it.

Oh, no, I do agree with that. That's what I was meaning with that last sentence. They need to get better about it in a way that not only offers up actual consequences for going insane, but maybe even makes it beneficial (LA Noire flirted with this, though it was implemented in way too a "video gamey" way with the points system). I'm just saying that I don't think you should remove the option to go crazy with a clearly restrictive system but rather, deepen the open-world mechanic by actual consequences to actions.

Which I realize is vaguey sounding, but I'm not a game designer.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By N7
    @Icemael said:
    @N7 said:

Rock Paper Shotgun
    In Gamespot's livestream the developers said you could also complete the mission by hacking a drawbridge to cause a traffic jam, and shooting the target with a silenced sniper rifle from a rooftop. So yeah, unless they're lying there will definitely be options.
    Whoa. Are you serious!? That's insane. That goes ahead and allows you to make small changes to the story too, since he won't be able to lay him on the ground and shoot him in the head.

Man, this game will be nuts.
    Hunger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Hunger

It's hard to say. Context-sensitive situations with multiple outcomes to a single situation is something we've seen before in gaming, but I think just the presentation of the Watch_Dogs demo was so awesome that people are skeptical. Games like Assassin's Creed and Hitman have done this, where they give you a bunch of tools that can be utilized in any way you want to complete an objective. The tricks, techniques and tools at your disposal in those types of games is basically the hacking smartphone that the protagonist uses.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fjordson

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Fjordson said:

Oh, personally I'm with you. I've never had a problem with that because...it's a game. I don't want R* or any other developer taking control away from me in between missions just because they're going for a more grounded tone in the story or whatever. My suspension of disbelief doesn't really falter just because of something I do when I'm fooling around in a world.

But I see the complaint a decent amount when it comes to GTA, so I'll be interested to see how that'll be handled here. Especially since this looks to be even more grounded than GTA and even has somewhat of a slteath element to it (at least based on what we've seen so far). I think what you said about more counter measures or consequences for players going crazy could be an intriguing solution.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jay_ray

My guess will be it turns out like the Assassin's Creed series. The first one is incredibly ambitious and simply can not realize the potential. It will be Watch Dogs 2 that really capitalizes on everything you want to happen.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jimbo said:
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Fjordson said:

The developer is always accountable for the experience to some degree (short of the player deliberately being a dick or whatever), because they designed the game.  If they make a conscious decision to give you the tools and opportunity (even incentive in some cases) to act like a dumbass between missions because it's 'fun' or whatever, they are also responsible for any loss of immersion that follows as a result of the player deciding to act like that.  There's not really a right or wrong answer here, it just depends what experience the developer is trying to deliver.  The Mafia games use an open-world setting without being intended as sandbox games, and that does have certain benefits, like the game feeling more focussed in what it's trying to achieve. I imagine Watch Dogs will be very sandboxy in between missions if people want to treat it like that, but depending on what the developer is trying to achieve, it might make sense for them to disincentivise (your character) acting like a dumbass just for the sake of it.
    It doesn't even have to be open world IMO, just implement real solid systems that allow diversity and creativity for the player. I like to create the scenario, I like to write history within the game, I don't like it happening around me for me to watch, or being forced to do a certain 'awesome' task only when the game allows/encourages it.
    ChaosTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ChaosTony

"Oh that was scripted, no way they'd make it possible to do that if it wouldn't happen every time, etc."

Wow, there is a lot of cynicism and lack of imagination in this topic >_>

mmtimmytime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By mmtimmytime

I was definitely coloured intrigued by the fantastic trailer, but I am wondering how much freedom the game will give you to play with the different sandbox tools available from the premise. Some scripted events are fine but I hope it's mainly controlled by the player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.